First vape related death

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck64

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2015
NV. USA
I saw a snippet of that yesterday, in Florida of course. I guess a piece of shrappenal embedded in his head and killed him. I have so many questions. Are they calling a mech a vape pen? Was it a pen because I can't see a simple vape pen having that kind of kinetic explosive force. What kinda mod was he using etc etc. You can't just post a headline that a man dies from exploding vape pen. Anybody have any updates? Screw it I'll research it myself.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I saw a snippet of that yesterday, in Florida of course. I guess a piece of shrappenal embedded in his head and killed him. I have so many questions. Are they calling a mech a vape pen? Was it a pen because I can't see a simple vape pen having that kind of kinetic explosive force. What kinda MOD was he using etc etc. You can't just post a headline that a man dies from exploding vape pen. Anybody have any updates? Screw it I'll research it myself.
It was a smok-e mountain mech mod. I did not find any info on any thing else (battery, build, ect) but I would bet it was some sort of user error.

1neeto

Jan 15, 2018
I saw a snippet of that yesterday, in Florida of course. I guess a piece of shrappenal embedded in his head and killed him. I have so many questions. Are they calling a mech a vape pen? Was it a pen because I can't see a simple vape pen having that kind of kinetic explosive force. What kinda MOD was he using etc etc. You can't just post a headline that a man dies from exploding vape pen. Anybody have any updates? Screw it I'll research it myself.

It’s the media, of course they’re gonna sensationalize the heck out of it. The general public don’t have a clue about the difference in between a mech mod, and a disposable e-cig. They’re all one and the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Honestly, I think they've handled it quite well, so far. A guy died, people. Do you really expect the guy reporting the story to say "USER ERROR!!! HE HAD NO BUSINESS RUNNING A MECH! IT WAS AN UNSAFE BUILD TO BEGIN WITH!!! DUAL FUSED STAPLED STAGGERED ALIENS ON A SINGLE 18650 MECH??? NOT TO MENTION, HE WAS USING AN EFEST.....AN EFEST!!!!!"
C'mon. They went as far as to interview a vape shop guy. I'm pretty impressed with their reporting .

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Oh man that makes me so sad. For the gentleman in question and his family mostly, and also a sad day for vaping, as yes, although it may well have been user error, I also think this story may be sensationalized.

This should be pinned in the mech mod forum (my opinion only, of course) so that people really 'get" the fact that with a mech, safety is of paramount concern, and this would be (potentially) a reason why, if it really was a mech.

You tell people mechs can kill you, and there are still folks who come so vastly underprepared and are unwilling to believe it.

Much sadness though, mainly. :(

Anna

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Honestly, I think they've handled it quite well, so far. A guy died, people. Do you really expect the guy reporting the story to say "USER ERROR!!! HE HAD NO BUSINESS RUNNING A MECH! IT WAS AN UNSAFE BUILD TO BEGIN WITH!!! DUAL FUSED STAPLED STAGGERED ALIENS ON A SINGLE 18650 MECH??? NOT TO MENTION, HE WAS USING AN EFEST.....AN EFEST!!!!!"
C'mon. They went as far as to interview a vape shop guy. I'm pretty impressed with their reporting .

I do not expect that at all. I would like the whole story to be told though. If the whole story is told, it could reach a wider audience and inform them of how not to have it happen again. There is nothing we can do to prevent what happened, but the useful information to enlighten others, and to help keep them safe, is missing.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
I do not expect that at all. I would like the whole story to be told though. If the whole story is told, it could reach a wider audience and inform them of how not to have it happen again.
Maybe they will....they already mentioned clone batteries . That's a first.

But expecting the media to give a clinic on how to vape is a bit unrealistic. Do they give driving lessons every time a kid wraps his graduation present BMW around a telephone pole?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Allegedly, it was a Smok-E Mountain Mechworks mechanical mod, a "Vanilla-style" copper mod made in the Philippines. Innitially I thought this must have been another hybrid-top mech that exploded, but this mod does have a 510 center pin.

This mod does not have any signs of having vent holes anywhere on the tube or fire button,
so my guess is the battery became shorted and either went into thermal runaway or vented. With no vent holes to allow the gas to escape the metal tube became a projectile pipe bomb.

This incident proves how important vent holes in a metal tube mech are.

Burns on 80% of his body makes me wonder about the chemistry of the batteries the victim used. Generally speaking, high drain "safer" chemistry batteries such as IMR or INR are less likely to flame or explode. Low drain ICR batteries typically involve flames or an explosion. Mooch has found some "rewrap" batteries advertised to be IMR which he found to really be ICR.

Last edited:

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Until they start claiming people's phones, computers or pads kill them I have a problem saying an ecig killed someone even if the drip tip fires through their brain stem. No, an exploding battery killed them. This report is better, it's just the headlines that suck, and that's as far as most people read/listen.

Violetti Usva

ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2017
Until they start claiming people's phones, computers or pads kill them I have a problem saying an ecig killed someone even if the drip tip fires through their brain stem. No, an exploding battery killed them. This report is better, it's just the headlines that suck, and that's as far as most people read/listen.

I somewhat disagree - the phone batteries (was it Samsung? I can't remember) exploding were reported as phones exploding because the batteries were being used in a phone. Vaping is stressful on batteries compared to other uses and considering the proximity to one's face/body more likely to cause a fatality than most other uses. They pointed out that regulated devices wouldn't have this problem which is a step in the right direction. In fact, I'd say this was rather tactful. Whilst I don't expect the news to give a run down on how to use a mech mod safely a courtesy "if you are not using a regulated device, this really highlights the importance of ensuring correct, safe battery usage" would be nice.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
Burning 80% of his body. Wow.
More likely that was the house fire that also took place, not the explosion. Just imagine the explosion necessary to burn 80% of your body, that would have to be a sustained fireball of human size, can't see a battery causing that.

What he used isn't labeled as "vape pen" on the market though, bad research from the journalist(s). Will probably extend public perception to all other "vape pens".

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I somewhat disagree - the phone batteries (was it Samsung? I can't remember) exploding were reported as phones exploding because the batteries were being used in a phone. Vaping is stressful on batteries compared to other uses and considering the proximity to one's face/body more likely to cause a fatality than most other uses. They pointed out that regulated devices wouldn't have this problem which is a step in the right direction. In fact, I'd say this was rather tactful. Whilst I don't expect the news to give a run down on how to use a mech mod safely a courtesy "if you are not using a regulated device, this really highlights the importance of ensuring correct, safe battery usage" would be nice.
I agree with this. I don't expect an after school special on how to properly run a mech, but just simply stating a couple of quick facts would be nice. Maybe even asking new users to go to the news stations web site and have a link to an informative page. Steps like that can actually help people that do not know any better.

• Agree
Reactions: Opinionated

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
You tell people mechs can kill you, and there are still folks who come so vastly underprepared and are unwilling to believe it.
I use mechanical mods all day every day, but none of them remotely resemble a "pipe bomb" configuration, i.e. there is no possibility of pressure build-up beyond whatever pressure the battery's case itself will hold.

TBH, I worry more about my 18650 flashlights exploding than my mods.

I do agree that many tube-mods are very poorly designed, with little or no thought given to safety should the battery vent or go into runaway. And don't even get me started on so-called "hybrid" topcaps.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
I use mechanical mods all day every day, but none of them remotely resemble a "pipe bomb" configuration, i.e. there is no possibility of pressure build-up beyond whatever pressure the battery's case itself will hold.

TBH, I worry more about my 18650 flashlights exploding than my mods.

I do agree that many tube-mods are very poorly designed, with little or no thought given to safety should the battery vent or go into runaway. And don't even get me started on so-called "hybrid" topcaps.
The last time I used a tube mech was a NEW Nemesis. Key word, new. I guess it's been 4 or 5 years? I don't see the point of them.....there's no place for a juice bottle. :?:

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
Yes, that report was better than other news stories, in general, on e cig explosions. The even made a point to name the manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread