Five is ALIVE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EagleTa2

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
well, its not alive yet...but will be tomorrow! Tomorrow, I pick up Reo number 5, Grand number 4 (I also have an original mini)
this one looks like a black anodized. Has seen a lot of use, but recently had all the internals replaced. This will give me an opportunity to strip it and polish it...or paint it..undecided so far.

i also want to replace the firing pin and perhaps put the fuse mod in it...just for kicks.

I couldnt help myself... a member of our local vape group was selling it for $50 and it really needed a new home...mine!

Now,I do not have a spare atty for it, so is it ok to ask if anyone has an RM2 they want to be rid of? if not, just let me know and I will edit iit away from this post.

thanks
Geo

ltrainer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
upstate ny
well, its not alive yet...but will be tomorrow! Tomorrow, I pick up Reo number 5, Grand number 4 (I also have an original mini)
this one looks like a black anodized. Has seen a lot of use, but recently had all the internals replaced. This will give me an opportunity to strip it and polish it...or paint it..undecided so far.

i also want to replace the firing pin and perhaps put the fuse mod in it...just for kicks.

I couldnt help myself... a member of our local vape group was selling it for $50 and it really needed a new home...mine!

Now,I do not have a spare atty for it, so is it ok to ask if anyone has an RM2 they want to be rid of? if not, just let me know and I will edit iit away from this post.

thanks
Geo
Would Dave be a part of your local vape group? Big guy with a beard.

DoogieTony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
Indianapolis, IN
johnny5Reo_zps38b42940.jpg

EagleTa2

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
So, a quick update... Five is truly alive now!

I completely disassembled it, gave it a good bath in hot soapy water and let it dry overnight.
on Saturday I was out searching for a longer screw to replace the screw that holds the battery retainer in cuz some ..... stripped it. Luckily the bottom of the hole had about two good threads left in it. I found the screw and kept dremelling it down until it fit perfect and held the retainer snug.

On to the firing pin. First, the stock pin was mounted upside down. That was odd! Went out and bought the brass shims at O'Reilleys to and made a new firing pin out of .012 shim stock. I hammered the brass to work harden it some and make it springier. Then formed a tip that was long enough to reach a flat top battery. Reassembled the firing pin to the 510 center pin and tightened up the sleeve. Replaced the tube with a fresh one and secured with a dab of CA glue and reinstalled the delrin battery retainer (very carefully).

The new firing pin do tracts the center of the button now...and avoids the area of the button that the previous owner had melted away. Just had to fine tune the new firing pin with a file so it wouldn't fire on a button top when the button is locked.

She hits like a beast now! Pure heaven! One minor problem... I had a ton of arcing with the new firing pin...Wasn't expecting that but is likely caused by the shape of the end. Filed a bit more and applied some Naolox (sp?) And the arcing has gone away.

I had every intention of refinishing this mod. But I just can't do it. Its a black anodized...probably early in production. I know its at least 3.5 years old since I know the first owner of it. I am the third owner.

The slight wear on the edges has removed the black anodizing leaving a small silver line on just the edges. It gives the mod a nice patina which has a ton of character. Sorta like a classic car with original paint. I think I'll leave it be and enjoy it as is!

Thanks
Geo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread