rosesense

14 years and counting
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    I must be the only person who loves the single button on the Provari. I could never remember how many clicks, which button etc. on the knockoff vv devices so the Provari button is just wonderful to me. Plus, it doesn't have to be reset every time you change out the batts like my L-Rider did.

vsummer1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 3, 2012
    California
    I must be the only person who loves the single button on the Provari. I could never remember how many clicks, which button etc. on the knockoff vv devices so the Provari button is just wonderful to me. Plus, it doesn't have to be reset every time you change out the batts like my L-Rider did.

I have no basis for comparison, but I find it very easy to get where I need to be. It is almost 2nd nature now.

rondasherrill

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 19, 2012
    Valhalla

Nope! I LOVE the single button design. Probably my favorite feature.

spraintz

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 18, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    I also love the single button. looks cool, less to break/wear out, pretty easy to use.

I can however see why some people who have gotten really comfortable with something like the LavaTube could be thrown off by it but I truly believe most of the "anti-one-button" crap that goes around is just a bunch of hype by haters. :p

And for those that are familiar with surface mount PCB buttons knows that the button soldered onto the board in the Provari is far more durable and longer lasting than the type that is in the LavaTube. I used to do board level repair on laptop motherboards and components and I would always use the more durable type as replacements (think laptop touchpad mouse buttons), trust me....it's way better.

mostapha

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 26, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    And for those that are familiar with surface mount PCB buttons knows that the button soldered onto the board in the Provari is far more durable and longer lasting than the type that is in the LavaTube.

I don't know what kind of buttons are in the LT, but in everything that I've done it with, surface mount was always seen as inferior to having the button and the PCB separate……button attached to the casing, wires connecting the two. They're easier to repair, and depending on how hard they get hit (or turned in the case of pots) less likely to get damaged in the first place.

Then again, I don't think anyone is going to hit a provari button as hard as some people hit/twist MIDI controllers and other audio gear.

And, again, I never hated the Provari………I just think that design is fundamentally less elegant than at least being able to turn the device off without going into a menu.

Also, my order might have to wait just a bit longer. I'm only a week or so away from having it in my spreadsheet (to stay in the black compared to cigs) but I might be coming into a bit of money……I'm going to wait and see what happens with that. If all goes well, I'll be vaping a kicked legacy, a kicked SB, and a kicked Provari side by side with no real hardship of incentive to send them back within the return period……and we'll see how the chips fall.

Again……I don't fault anyone for buying one. My "anti-provari hatevism" as some would have called it was designed to get real reactions from people (along with other, more civil questions on other forums with different names) and also warn people who bought it not expecting that……It'd suck to spend that much on something expecting a different system and maybe be stuck with it because you assumed the control structure was designed as well as the rest of the device and don't think of that kind of menu system as elegant.

cerver7

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 18, 2010
    Shamong NJ
    I don't know what kind of buttons are in the LT, but in everything that I've done it with, surface mount was always seen as inferior to having the button and the PCB separate……button attached to the casing, wires connecting the two. They're easier to repair, and depending on how hard they get hit (or turned in the case of pots) less likely to get damaged in the first place.

Then again, I don't think anyone is going to hit a provari button as hard as some people hit/twist MIDI controllers and other audio gear.

And, again, I never hated the Provari………I just think that design is fundamentally less elegant than at least being able to turn the device off without going into a menu.

Also, my order might have to wait just a bit longer. I'm only a week or so away from having it in my spreadsheet (to stay in the black compared to cigs) but I might be coming into a bit of money……I'm going to wait and see what happens with that. If all goes well, I'll be vaping a kicked legacy, a kicked SB, and a kicked Provari side by side with no real hardship of incentive to send them back within the return period……and we'll see how the chips fall.

Again……I don't fault anyone for buying one. My "anti-provari hatevism" as some would have called it was designed to get real reactions from people (along with other, more civil questions on other forums with different names) and also warn people who bought it not expecting that……It'd suck to spend that much on something expecting a different system and maybe be stuck with it because you assumed the control structure was designed as well as the rest of the device and don't think of that kind of menu system as elegant.

Since when can you kick a provari?? O_0

rondasherrill

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 19, 2012
    Valhalla
    Since when can you kick a provari?? O_0

I was thinking the same thing... Even if it worked, the kick wouldn't actually do anything since it is before the Provari circuitry...

@Mostapha
    I think the reason the PCB mounted buttons are considered better is because while a regular LT type switch is rated in the thousands for number of throws in its lifespan, the PCB mounted switches are rated in the millions... Also, since the part that is exposed is just basically plastic sitting on top of the switch, the switch is significantly less likely to be damaged.

Last edited:

cerver7

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 18, 2010
    Shamong NJ
    I was thinking the same thing... Even if it worked, the kick wouldn't actually do anything since it is before the Provari circuitry...

@Mostapha
    I think the reason the PCB mounted buttons are considered better is because while a regular LT type switch is rated in the thousands for number of throws in its lifespan, the PCB mounted switches are rated in the millions... Also, since the part that is exposed is just basically plastic sitting on top of the switch, the switch is significantly less likely to be damaged.

And it does not rattle like the LT switches or are made out of that thin cheap plastic.

spraintz

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 18, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Mostapha, agreed a separate/non pcb mounted button is in most cases the most durable but in respect to the Provari's pcb button as compared to the lavatubes pcb buttons for example, the type used on the Provari is simply more durable in how it's built. I've also heard arguments that the Provari button isn't "clicky" enough. There is a reason for that....the "clicky-er" pcb buttons will have a higher failure rate because of the stress put on the internal part of the switch regardless of the amount of pressure.

When I was doing repair I alway had to replace buttons like that of the LT, i knew what kinda button it was just by pressing it ;) I never had to replace the button type like the one in the Provari unless it was bashed by a hammer or somthin..doesn't mean it couldn't fail but of the thousands of boards I worked on over the years I never saw it happen from regular use..

Again these are all just subjective views, not callin anybody out at all. People like what they like, no worries.

:toast: and :vapor: :ohmy:

Last edited:

recidivus

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 20, 2012
    Canada
    www.youtube.com
    Well, got my Provari yesterday. After 5 minutes of fiddlin' I figured out the button, so it's a non-issue. Not 24 hours in, but I'm impressed with the build. The non-clicky button was a little odd at first, but I'm warming up to it pretty quickly. No "looseness" I was getting from my LT, threading is buttery and feeds seat perfectly. All in all, I'm happy as a clam.

nebulas

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 30, 2011
    Earth
    All in all, I'm happy as a clam.

b1c4f50a-7c94-40f8-a8c8-4e6b65a11124.gif

mostapha

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 26, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Mostapha, agreed a separate/non pcb mounted button is in most cases the most durable but in respect to the Provari's pcb button as compared to the lavatubes pcb buttons for example, the type used on the Provari is simply more durable in how it's built. I've also heard arguments that the Provari button isn't "clicky" enough. There is a reason for that....the "clicky-er" pcb buttons will have a higher failure rate because of the stress put on the internal part of the switch regardless of the amount of pressure.

When I was doing repair I alway had to replace buttons like that of the LT, i knew what kinda button it was just by pressing it ;) I never had to replace the button type like the one in the Provari unless it was bashed by a hammer or somthin..doesn't mean it couldn't fail but of the thousands of boards I worked on over the years I never saw it happen from regular use..

Again these are all just subjective views, not callin anybody out at all. People like what they like, no worries.

:toast: and :vapor: :ohmy:

Valid.

He's either trying to pull our legs or is ignorant as heck. :blink:

My bet is with pulling our legs.

It was a typo. I had code running through my head at the time and was used to typing repetitive things. I had to re-read my post to figure out what the :censored: you guys were talking about………putting a kick in a provari would be effing stupid.

PhreakySTS9

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 26, 2011
    Shayol Ghul, The Great Blight
    I simply do not understand what the majority of the posts in this thread are even debating about. I think the OP's post was greatly misunderstood. He's quite obviously not saying that he saved more money by getting a Provari than by any other PV out there. He is just saying that even though it is pricey, he has already saved more than enough money from not buying cigs to justify the high cost of buying a first rate PV.

First of all, I think a lot of people bashing the cost of a Provari are people that vape because they don't want to smoke, period. For a lot of people, vaping has become a hobby (me included). They spend the money because it's their hobby, and they want a nice PV.

Now, I have been vaping for just under 2 years(Oct. 11, 2010) and vaping has changed A LOT since then. A lot of people that have just started vaping in the last year or so have NO idea how lucky they are to have the options they do today! I have spent a lot of money on vaping gear, and I can say that more than half of it ended up being junk. I have gone through many 510 batteries, egos, twists, box mods, lavatube, and more.

Lately I have become more and more frustrated with my setups. I feel like i'm getting that optimal vape less and less. My lavatube holds voltage as well as I could hold 5oz of water in my bare hands, my atties and cartos become gummed, etc.

Today I ordered a Provari, and a few days ago a DID clone. I'm hoping the combo of a Provari and a genesis will be my ideal setup, and I am cracking down on my experimenting. I'm hoping the Provari will be the device I needed to order a long time ago, and after this I won't have to keep throwing my money in the garbage disposal on TRASH.

Another thing, an ego twist compared to a Provari? Don't get me wrong, i'm yet to use one but I still know that that's a major "YEAH RIGHT!". I love twists for taking to work and stuff but come on. Why can't people here realize that there is no right or wrong way to vape. I know what does and doesn't satisfy me anymore, but I know plenty of people would be happy to use a regular ego batt with a standard atty until the end of time. Whatever works for ya! I'm glad I decided to hop onto the Provari train. My only regret was that I didn't do it a long time ago, because I really WOULD have saved a lot of money!

mostapha

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 26, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Somebody at a vape meet let me play with his Provari for a few minutes today.

First conclusion: yeah…the menu system is almost as annoying as I thought it would be. I missed Pu a couple times in the few minutes I played with it, and I missed Ao once. It really is dumb that it works like that, and I'll continue to make fun of it for the rest of my life.

Second conclusion: each time I messed up, it felt like your adorable puppy just ate the piece of bacon you wanted…not the whole plate, not the last piece…just the next one you wanted. So, like…you scold him because you know you should, say "bad dog", roll your eyes, and really just think he's cute.

Third conclusion: it's coming when the spreadsheet says so. I'm sold.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread