The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

For People Who Think The Provari Is Too Expensive

Discussion in 'ProVari' started by bcalvanese, Sep 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Orobas

Orobas Equine Disrespect Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 3, 2012
    Jarhead City
  2. thinkingaboutit

thinkingaboutit Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 13, 2012
    mn
    Just about everything I buy is that way. I just dropped $750 on an iphone5 and I hate the form factor to get a bigger screen. I can find something with any product that would make it better "for me". The big problem, companies make things for more than "just me". I just have to ask myself if it has enough of what makes me happy to get me to purchase it.

3. recidivus

recidivus Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jun 20, 2012
    Canada
    The only way to get something exactly how you want is to build it yourself, and that usually costs a lot more headache than dealing with the smaller issues of something made for the masses.

What I need to do is work on a mechanical VV. No fancy screens n such, just a slider and a GOGOGO button. Having to guess what the voltage is depending on battery charge and whatnot, the headache (IMO) isn't worth it. Would still be a fun project. In fact, I think I'll step into the office after this coffee and give it a proper pondering. Thanks for the idea thinkingaboutit!

4. thinkingaboutit

Jun 13, 2012
    mn
    I can solve your problem. A mechanical mod...with a kick :)

5. recidivus

Jun 20, 2012
    Canada
    The kick isn't mechanical though!

6. thinkingaboutit

Jun 13, 2012
    mn
    I don't think you could do VV with no electronics. I can't imagine how...

7. mostapha

mostapha Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 26, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Kick only goes up to 10W. If the numbers I got from a combination of my multimeter and pbusardo's (and steeljan's) charts are the least bit accurate, I'd turn it up to 10W and still want more half the time.

A Twist or 2 and something like a SB or Legacy running at 6V would be much more likely……or a GLV……or finding an old 5V Triple V. The only reason I don't want to do that is remembering which heads go on which batteries……which would get annoying.

8. WNCmotard

WNCmotard Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 25, 2012
    Western NC
    mostapha, this is not directed at you in any way, but just in general. I don't get the high wattage vape thing, I really don't. But then again, I like a cool vapor, and I'm not a reckless throat hit guy. I like a good throat hit, but not a peel the skin off vocal chords throat hit though. My average vape is probably around 6-7 watts.

9. Don Kaluminati

Don Kaluminati Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 3, 2012
    Washington
    @mostapha if you want a $45 mod that hits just as well as a provari then get a young june 2.0. It sucks as far as the threading, and tooling in comparison to a provari. But my Young June/ vari-tube hits just as good, reads ohms, and has a battery charge level indicator.
    As far as longevity I can't answer for that. I got mine and played with it for a couple of days before sending it back on warranty for the loose 510 connection that allowed my cartos to wiggle completely out. Not telling you what to do just trying to be helpful:

10. Don Kaluminati

Sep 3, 2012
    Washington
    This isn't a thread payed for by Provari is it? If it is let me know and I'll take my last post down. Don't want to upset my favorite pv maker.

11. mostapha

Jun 26, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    I don't get the low wattage vape thing. If I set my ego twist down to get 7W……it doesn't taste like much and I have to take a really long drag.

I thought it was crazy at first too, but I just like really warm vapor. A lot of the time, I wind up right around 10W based on the indicated voltage (probably around 9 in reality)……but there are just as many times I have my Twist cranked and wish it'd go just a bit higher……at least, with the few juices I have that don't taste burnt or hit too hard……oddly enough, they're also the juices I tend to prefer.

There's a decent chance that the Provari will just get set at 5V and stay there for the majority of its life (unless I change head resistance), but it seems like a better buy than a GLV or an old 5V Triple V for some reason……

It's not about cost. It's mostly about battery life and slightly higher power limits…my Twists hit about as hard as I want and honestly work very well for the price…I'm mostly happy with them. I just want a mod and the Provari is the only one that seems to make sense, despite me not being thrilled with the interface.

I've considered lava tubes, but a $50-$70 mod just seems like that no-mans midrange that I always end up hating (in everything), and running a Legacy or SB at 6V just doesn't seem like the right move.

12. Don Kaluminati

Sep 3, 2012
    Washington
    Ah I see what you're saying. Sounds like you are just like me. I researched the hell out of everything before I bought it because I don't like getting something and then later finding out that I should have gotten something else that is either better or more suited for my needs. My only comforting words for you, if you decide to take the plunge, is that I liked my mini so much that I bought another one exactly the same a couple days later because I couldn't imagine not having one. That is if one broke somehow. I even paid for the warranty and had to pay my state taxes too lol. Battery life on a mini is not optimal. I will go through two 18350's in a day but that comes with the territory on a tiny device as such. You should check out the fs threads I saw a guy today selling a satin black with blue LED's, batts, charger and a case for I think it was $200. The standard 1 year warranty isn't transferable but oh well it was/is a pretty good deal. Dunno if he sold it yet but I've seen a couple combo sales like that.

13. rondasherrill

rondasherrill Ultra Member ECF Veteran

May 19, 2012
    Valhalla
    I'm the same way... I get a kick out of it when people refer to 10 watts as "reckless throat hit chasers"... For me, 7 watts is nothing, and 10 watts is just decent throat hit.

14. recidivus

Jun 20, 2012
    Canada
    Well, too expensive or not, I'm firing my order off shortly. Satin black w/blue led standard + endcap + batteries (small and 18650). I go through ~2000mAh/day currently, may be getting a proper job soon (I hope) so not sure I'll have the opportunity to vape quite as much as I do now during working hours. Backups for the backups for the backups never hurts either. This is looking to be my last big purchase for a while; have a decent supply of DIY handy and a rebuildable (did clone) arriving today. Looking forward to only having to replace feeds and liquid, the mid range bodies and egos were starting to add up.

Although; my wifes bosses (her main tobacco triggers) are gone for 3 weeks so she's going to be trying to do a full switch to vaping on my egos. May add a mini to the family if she's successful (told her 4 weeks and we'll talk).

15. VaporHead512

VaporHead512 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    TX
    Whaaaa? Encourage her, don't doubt her! Never doubt your woman.

But that's just me.

16. recidivus

Jun 20, 2012
    Canada
    Oh I don't doubt her ability to stop smoking at all, but once the bosses are back it's a whole new ball game. If our work (I contract to the company she works for and used to be in a lead position there myself) had a facebook status it would be "It's Complicated". Over the weekend she's a 100% vaper, it's purely a work thing. I promised I wouldn't push vaping on her and would let her take it at her own pace. I rant and rave about how great it is, but this recent boss holiday is the first time I suggested she bring it to work and vape there. That is as much pressure as I'll give, nobody likes a non-smoker who keeps nagging about how you should quit. She's finally getting a chance to avoid the "social pressure" and stress smoking, and I have several batteries and cartos ready to fill (and ordered to arrive today). All I can do is offer her the option, it's her decision to take it.

17. VaporHead512

VaporHead512 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    TX
    Bosses? Boss...es? That's turrible. No human should ever have a boss, much less multiple bosses. Good luck to you and the wife.

18. tomzgreat

tomzgreat Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Chino California
    No one has seemed to bring up that the advantage of the single button is that if you ever have a carto/clearo leak or are exposed to moisture that one button is sealed.

I fried a mini Lava Tube because the up down buttons weren't sealed.

Having only one button means one less thing to break.

19. mostapha

Jun 26, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Or just building all of the buttons correctly.

20. rosesense

rosesense ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 1, 2010
    South GA
    I still have some blue foam, anyone need some? lol

I refused to buy a Provari for over two years mainly because I have to pay the 10% tax which makes the price somewhat higher than most of you have to pay. I loved my egos, still have some of the regular ones and rivas and knockoffs. I have some that have lasted for months and some die the first time I used them. I got tired of the replacement expense and got the Provari. Not for the elitist factor either.

Anything that works that you can afford is fine by me. I don't mind fiddling with stuff to a degree but I get frustrated when I change batts on a LT knockoff, the threads are cheap and hard to get them just right. The Provai threads are like butter. That is a big deal for me but I can see where that would not be a big deal to others. Point is, it is all very individual and I can agree with most points that all of you make on these threads.

Buying just because I love the looks would be the Caravela and I have two of them ordered. OTOH, it looks like something I can literally take apart and fix myself if ever needed so should be worth it in the long run.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.