Forcing vapers to breathe second-hand smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eranda13

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2013
Bethlehem, PA
I've been told my my oral surgeon that I'm not allowed to be around second-hand smoke, due to the tongue cancer that was removed back in April.

But in many cases, I'm only allowed to vape in smoking areas with smokers, which forces me to be exposed to second-hand smoke.

I chose NOT to smoke anymore. I quit a dangerous and destructive habit for the benefit of my health.

But the policies of most businesses and municipalities put me in a position where in order to engage in a legal and non-dangerous activity, I must accept being exposed to the very (dangerous) thing that I've gone to great lengths to avoid.

If non-smokers have a right to be free of second-hand smoke, why don't I? What is it about vaping that makes my right to avoid other people's smoke null and void? Aren't these policies intentionally putting vapers in harms' way by arbitrarily lumping us together with behavior that's known to be dangerous- simply because they have a similar appearance?

That's like saying that diabetics and drug addicts must share the same needles because, well... they're needles, so the behavior must be the same thing.

If no-smoking policies are in place to protect non-smokers, then why aren't I protected too?

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
You know, as an ex smoker I never thought about that. But you do have an interesting and very legitimate point. Wonder where we can go with this one?

The distinction does need to be made - and loudly - rather than the apologists approach that we all have to accept being treated the same as smokers because... well, because why exactly? If vaping was the same thing as smoking - we would all still be smoking. There are valid reasons why we choose to vape instead of continue to smoke. It is not the same thing and we have to stop accepting treatment as such.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I get that your doctor said not to be around second hand smoke, but there are also ideas that second hand smoke isn't really all that dangerous. Unless you're being forced into an enclosed area with no air flow, but that would just be silly. I'm not saying it's not dangerous, just that some say the dangers of second hand smoke have been inflated, much like the "dangers" of vaping.

On a totally different note, and I may catch flak for this but here goes. They're not forcing you into the smoking section, they're not allowing you to vape in the no smoking section, there is a difference. It may be more inconvenient for you to find a better place to vape, or to wait until you're not somewhere where vaping isn't allowed, but that's your choice.

Or learn to stealth vape.

Edit: Because I know someone will ask to see some kind of evidence: http://www.cato.org/publications/commentary/secondhand-smoke-charade

Last edited:

Brusky

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2013
PNW
You know, as an ex smoker I never thought about that. But you do have an interesting and very legitimate point. Wonder where we can go with this one?

The distinction does need to be made - and loudly - rather than the apologists approach that we all have to accept being treated the same as smokers because... well, because why exactly? If vaping was the same thing as smoking - we would all still be smoking. There are valid reasons why we choose to vape instead of continue to smoke. It is not the same thing and we have to stop accepting treatment as such.

What do you mean by "treated like smokers"? Do smokers get special treatment/mistreatment?

The only thing smokers have to do is step outside for 2 minutes then come back in. It's not like they have to run a marathon and jump through hoops. Smoking and vaping is a recreation, just because there legal does not mean all businesses must submit to all of it's privileges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
What do you mean by "treated like smokers"? Do smokers get special treatment/mistreatment?

The only thing smokers have to do is step outside for 2 minutes then come back in. It's not like they have to run a marathon and jump through hoops. Smoking and vaping is a recreation, just because there legal does not mean all businesses must submit to all of it's privileges.

Well I'm not sure what version of the universe you live in, but yes - they do get special mistreatment. Step outside for two minutes? If you can get 25 feet away from any given building entrance and back in two minutes. If it's a hospital or college campus - better take up jogging to get completely off the facility grounds before you can light up. In your own home? Well don't count on that one either if it's written out of your lease or banned by the condo association. Don't even mention vaping, because someone will get it written out of your lease or condo rules - for no other reason than just because they can. That's supposed to be acceptable status quo?

That's neither here nor there - you missed the OP's entire point that as a non smoker who is vaping she is being treated exactly like a smoker. And even though having quit smoking is expected to be subjected to second hand smoke because place of employment (or society in general for that matter) sees no distinction between smoking and vaping. Apparently you don't either. So I ask you: If they are that similar why did you bother taking up vaping? For the purpose of having your "privileges" stepped on with equality?

Last edited:

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
Add in all the new ordinances various municipalities are trying to pass that would only allow vaping where smoking is allowed. See the legislation section of ECF there are several being proposed.

I have been saying this for awhile. I did not give up smoking to be sent back to the smoking area to vape. It feels (weather it is or not is a matter of opinion) like smokers are 2nd class citizens by being sent to smoking areas but vapers are 3rd class citizens by being punished by 2nd hand smoke in the smoking areas they are also being sent to.

Realistically nothing will change if we do not get involved and change it. Either through opposing these ordinances or even conceivably class action lawsuits. I seem to remember (somewhat foggy on this) it was flight attendants engaging in a class action lawsuit that really got the ball rolling for the segregation of smoking. In any case I do not think simply accepting it is the answer.

jpargana

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
Portugal
Well I'm not sure what version of the universe you live in, but yes - they do get special mistreatment. Step outside for two minutes? If you can get 25 feet away from any give building entrance and back in two minutes. If it's a hospital or college campus - better take up jogging to get completely off the facility grounds before you can light up. In your own home? Well don't count on that one either if it's written out of your lease or banned by the condo association. Don't even mention vaping, because someone will get it written out of your lease or condo rules - for no other reason than just because they can. That's supposed to be acceptable status quo?

That's neither here nor there - you missed the OP's entire point that as a non smoker who is vaping she is being treated exactly like a smoker. And even though having quit smoking is expected to be subjected to second hand smoke because place of employment (or society in general for that matter) sees no distinction between smoking and vaping. Apparently you don't either. So I ask you: If they are that similar why did you bother taking up vaping? For the purpose of having your "privileges" stepped on with equality?

^^^^

This.

And the problem is, mistreatment did not come from legistation, only... most of the 'common folk', 'everyday people' had the same stance against smokers.

Just an example: here in Portugal, new laws that forbids you to smoke inside where effective from 01 January. By then, every non-smoker that went to a restaurant, or cafe, was happy to have smokers outside. In the cold and rain, of course... I believe mostly saw it as a rightful punishment. Of course, Winter went by, and then whe we had sunny days again. One of the last quarrels I remember, was between an old lady and a smoker... outside.

The old lady sat a free table outside, were smoking is allowed, and were people were already smoking, and then stated that 'there's no respect anymore, one cannot be outside, enjoying the weather, without getting home reeking of tobacco'
The guy in the nearest table just stated that we felt offended by her comment: he was not smoking specifically to disrespect the old lady... he was smoking there, because he was not allowed to smoke inside anymore. And if smoke upset her, she had every inch of the inside area of the cafe reserved for non-smokers (the room was empty, BTW). The lady just stated that it was too hot inside, and she had the right to enjoy the sun without being disturbed. You can easily imagine how quickly that conversation evolved...

My point? That was just an example of a commom person that seemed to believe that smokers should always get the worse seats (outside in Winter, inside in Summer), just because they are... you know... smokers... under-people, with less rights than an average person.

If fact, it you took most of anti-smoking conversations, and then replaced 'smoker' by anything you like (well, don't like, actually :)), you would, many times, end up up with racial slander. Just try it yourself, and you'll see what I mean.

graveghoul

Oct 7, 2013
South Texas
I have a solution. It may not be the most luxurious but here goes. Vape in the bathroom. Sound horrid but think about it. Would you rather be around 2nd hand smoke or poop? I can assume theyre both just as disgusting of a smell but im almost positive poopy smell isnt harmful to your health...just maybe your gag reflex lol. What can they tell you? Oh stop blowing that sweet smelling vapor into my stall? lol. I know this is a serious concern but a i thought this thread needed a lil humor. Seriously though, there has to be ways around it, especially right now before any ban comes along on ecigs.

Christopherja

ECF Veteran
Aug 1, 2013
Nottingham
But in many cases, I'm only allowed to vape in smoking areas with smokers, which forces me to be exposed to second-hand smoke.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. You're only allowed? Why do you have to vape in the smoking area? For what it's worth, I usually either go out another door, or else move away from the smokers - cross the street, go down to the corner, whatever.

wharr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2013
Canton, Ga, USA
When I was a smoker I had to go outside in the rain cold snow etc to light up. I now have a choice not to go out to light up. I personally refuse to become a non smoker that looks down on smokers because I decided to kick the terrible habit. I will not let myself forget how I felt when people shunned me because I was intruding on their space. I am speaking only for me. I am sorry for your illness but you have other places you can vape.

Good Luck, Have a great no analog day.

NicoHolic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2013
USA
If non-smokers have a right to be free of second-hand smoke, why don't I?

Because most believe non-vapers have a right to be free of second-hand vapor, and that smoking and vaping are a choice, not a right, the vast majority choose not to engage in.

There are many places of employment, medical care, and education where smoking and vaping is prohibited ANYWHERE on the property--including in your vehicle in the parking lot. Aside from the privately owned vehicle issue, that's the easiest and "fairest" policy. It precludes having to provide and maintain designated smoking areas, much less separate designated vaping areas that aren't going to happen.

Vape in the smoking area, stealth vape, or don't vape. Your call. No one's forcing you to inhale second hand smoke.

Last edited:

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
You aren't forced to do anything except not subject the workplace to second hand vapor just like not subjecting people to second hand smoke or heck you can't pop microwave popcorn in our office because of the smell or eat fast food at your desk. Is it right? I am 50/50. If workers are offended (for whatever reason) by second hand whatever productivity drops.

I still vape outside my own house. My choice. My wife and kids don't like the cloud billowing through the room.

RobinBanks

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2013
Jersey Shore
I hear what you're saying, Eranda13. In my state vaping is banned anywhere smoking is not allowed.
This really only effects me at my workplace. There is one small smoking area far across campus and smoking elsewhere will get your security badge taken from you and have you sent straight to corporate compliance which is bad. This is like a small bus stop kind of thing. Maybe 5' x 3' that you have to be inside of to smoke / vape. They don't give a damn about vaping. If you don't like it - don't vape.

Although there is no specific rule or signs against vaping anywhere (remember it is state law that you cannot use e-cigarette in non smoking designated areas) security will do a complete smackdown if you are seen vaping anywhere other than the designated smoker shacks. A vaping co-worker and I were standing, outside, across campus using our PVs maybe 15 feet away from the smoking shack. Another vaper warned us that he was threatened for vaping in the same area. When he explained to security that he was NOT smoking he was told vaping was dangerous because he could set the trees on fire.

I now just blatantly disregard the rules and vape in my office with my door shut.

Last edited:

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. You're only allowed? Why do you have to vape in the smoking area? For what it's worth, I usually either go out another door, or else move away from the smokers - cross the street, go down to the corner, whatever.

Not sure you read the OP carefully enough. More and more ordinances are being passed (and proposed) that ONLY allow vaping where smoking is allowed. So you can't legally just "cross the street" and vape. And many companies make special provisions for smokers, but vapers have to follow those rules too.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV

Well stated!!

Christopherja

ECF Veteran
Aug 1, 2013
Nottingham
Not sure you read the OP carefully enough. More and more ordinances are being passed (and proposed) that ONLY allow vaping where smoking is allowed. So you can't legally just "cross the street" and vape. And many companies make special provisions for smokers, but vapers have to follow those rules too.

Ah, well, I read it - just didn't think that was a thing. Apparently it's state law in some places too? Strange, and sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread