Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueSnake

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
Columbia, SC
The machining quality is pretty much second to none. But in terms of performance it's really too small to be enjoyable. I'm squonking after every hit. cant get anymore wick in there for even a longer hit than a mouth to lung, I don't get the hype about it at all. And the flavor is good for a mouth to lung hit, anything else is just meh.

Probably the same as why us MTL hitters don't get the hype on the huge, airy 22mm attys. The atty really depends on the vaping style.

I use 29g kanthal A-1 wrapped at 1.98mm at 1.2 to 1.4 ohms with 2mm RxW wick. I can get 3 to 4 good hits from that setup with flavor that is 2nd to none. The wick and coil will last for months with occasional dry burning.

TKS

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2015
That is what it (and the original 14mm attys) were designed for and why there are guys drilling bottom feed holes in 22mm rda's The atty on my last pic is a dual coil powerhouse.

Yeah it's why I sprung for a Origen V3. 22mm huge well and dual vertical coils. I just need to refine my build, trying to find a balance that will give me the densest warm vape that the wicking can keep up with during firing. What I like is you can get a mouth to lung or a direct lung with the airflow optins.

Last edited:

TKS

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2015
Probably the same as why us MTL hitters don't get the hype on the huge, airy 22mm attys. The atty really depends on the vaping style.

I use 29g kanthal A-1 wrapped at 1.98mm at 1.2 to 1.4 ohms with 2mm RxW wick. I can get 3 to 4 good hits from that setup with flavor that is 2nd to none. The wick and coil will last for months with occasional dry burning.
I got MTL attys, but the chalice has no well and thats what annoys me. Hand getting tired of pressing the bottle to squonk after every hit. But I guess no leaking because of it.

UKPaul

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2013
UK
Old school mechanical squonking
image_zps003d3256.jpg

image_zps0c657c98.jpg

Reactions: qorax

Yozhik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2015
Chicago, IL
Man and he was only 2 people ahead of me in choosing prizes, SO close! ;) I wonder how many other people had the Gem as their #1

Congrats!

I'm sure quite a few beyond us, it's a great atomizer. Took a little bit to figure out (and thanks Stan for the video, it helped a lot), but I've vaped a full tank today and really enjoyed it. Couple tips: Ceramic tweezers make it a cinch to slide out the build deck; and remember to close the airflow before filling.

Yozhik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2015
Chicago, IL
Huge congrats. Now you can tell us ...... Is it worth it?[emoji3]

I've been very impressed with it so far. I've got a .055 ohm Ni200 28 gauge 2.5mm coil in it (talk about ultra-low ohm) and it's banging out great flavor after two tanks. Unlike say an Aspire Nautilus, which has initial good flavor but then fades, I've not felt any diminishment yet in performance. Considering that an Aspire Nautilus and one pack of replacement coils per month would cost ya $160 in a year, I'd say it's worth it.

Also, unlike any other tank I've used, it's very easy to remove the build deck without compromising containment of the e-liquid (which is great if you've need to rebuild or remedy an issue). However, the ceramic tweezers are what make it easy, so again I recommend picking up a pair cheap if you don't have them. They also help with aligning the build deck with the pin too, which I forgot to mention.

This might seem like a strange thing, but this is also the only stainless steel drip tip I like. Usually those are the first thing I replace on a tank, but so far this one doesn't bother me.

Some other things that I like - the refill ports work great (though you need a syringe), the machining is amazing, the center pin for the 510 swaps out the other pin (which avoids connection problems for TC), air flow controller is smooth, wicking is a breeze, the pins are exactly where you want them to avoid hot legs on a ni200 coil, looks slick as heck, and did I mention great flavor?

So what quibbles do I have, besides not owning two of them? ;)

One thing is that when you unscrew the tank, the multilayered base may occasionally separate at the airflow adjustment ring. At most it's slightly annoying. The Stainless tank looks great, but I have no idea when to stop filling it because I can't see the e-liquid. For that I'd probably have to rely on the syringe's mL markings to know when to stop. Fyi, you can't fill it to the brim - I don't consider this an issue, it's just the way these tanks work. They need some air in them to create a vacuum effect, otherwise you'll get leaks. Also, I had to go down from 3mm to 2.5mm to fit a ni200 coil. I don't know if the build deck is electrically insulated, so a 3mm spaced coil just looked too tight for my comfort.

So if you like rebuilding and love great flavor, I'd say this tank is top notch. On other other hand, if you're looking to sub-ohm with mega airflow, that's not what this tank is designed for. For me, the GEM RTA is perfect for my mouth-to-lung vaping. On the downside, it now makes me much more aware of everything I dislike about the tanks I use for lung vaping and also makes all your non-custom mods look like crap in comparison.

Yozhik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2015
Chicago, IL
Followup report on the Gem:

(1) At first, I didn't think the ring that allows you to secure the build deck to your 510 or hybrid connector would be all that useful. Now I love that thing. Makes testing and adjusting your coil oh so easy before you plop it in, especially when doing TC.

(2) Don't cut your wick too short. On the build deck, the wick channels at the end are cut deeper. You want a little extra wick to stuff into these deeper cuts. You don't need a lot (too much will make it impossible to get the build deck on), but you do need it to prevent leaking.

(3) If you're not using the stainless steel tank, it makes for a very nice looking stand to hold the Gem upside down when working on the build deck. Much more stable than leaving it on the drip tip, which I learned the hard way.

(4) I think the airflow is 2.5mm max and useful capacity is about 3.5mL.

Otherwise, I'm still loving it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread