Getting My Wife Started on Electronic Cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.
The purchase is for my wife who currently smokes about a pack of Camel no filters/day. Instead of smoking in the house like she used to do, she's now smoking in the garage. However, with colder temperatures arriving and the ultimate goal of quitting smoking, she'll give e-cigs a try; at least she'll be able to smoke them in the house.

So I've been doing the research for her, and I've told her that I'll buy her e-cigs (in hope that she'll eventually quit); she's smoked for 30+ years.

Anyway, given this background, I'm looking for suggestions on what to buy. I don't want something overly complicated, but powerful enough to turn her away from the Camels and to e-cigs. Here's what I'm currently considering:

1) Riva 510 Lite starter kit from Liberty-Flights. $30
2) Delrin Drip Tip (Type D- 510) from Liberty-Flights X 2. (A little unsure of its purpose). $3.20
3) 15 Boge Carto Deal (510) from Crystal Clear vaping (Crystal Clear Vaping). 1 Box? Reg or LR? Choice of Drip Tip? $20. Question? - Do these cartos contain juice?
4) I suppose I need juice. Not sure what and where to buy.
5) Anything else?

Thanks for your help!!!!!

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
Excellent choice - the Rivas there are 3.7v and very nice. You might consider the black SE for the 3-click disable if she plans to pocket them or put in a purse.

I recommend an extra charger cable which could be use to charge both at once, as a work charger or as a spare.

Drip tip - used to drip on the atomizer to test juices or vape, or as a comfortable and easy to remove mouthpiece for simple cartomizers like Boge

Boge - I recommend learning on standard resistance (more forgiving, won't singe as easily if vaped down too much) but you only need a 5-pack for that (LiteCigUSA.net or Liberty-Flights.com should have a 5-pack). Then the LR will be more like the heat of a cig. And those are the most popular cartos. After learning to fill those and keep them damp, she could try more exotic cartos.

Juices - get something where you get the kit. Nothing has juice in it that you are buying except possibly the atomizer cartridges in the kit. In Boge cartomizers I get best results with high PG juices - lots of PG and 20% or less VG. PG is thin and lets through the most flavor, most nicotine TH, most nicotine irritation (espeically 100% PG). VG is thick, dulls everything PG lets through and makes thicker looking vapor. I use up to 50% VG on the atomizer and 20% or less in the Boge cartos. Also I try to find replacements for any juices that I like that drop a lot of flavoring sediment (that clogs attys and cartos)

Try FreedomSmokeUSA Desert Ship and Camtel tobaccos in 80PG/20VG? I used Desert Ship - it's a Turkish blend like Camels are, nutty and a bit pungent (maybe too tobacco like for the house) and the Camtel is supposedly a bit more Camel-like but compare their reviews on the site - I remember Desert Ship being preferred. I am also very fond of their oRYental 4 tobacco, a quite sweet RY4 caramel vanilla tobacco and you can get that in 80PG/20VG for cartos or any PG/VG for atomizer. They have a ton of different tobaccos so take a look at them.

For in the atomizer, (their specialties are only 50PG/50VG) their Hopscotch is outstanding (sweet like honey and butterscotch to me) and their Voodoo is an odd one I like (a bit tobacco, a bit fruit, a bit maybe cinnamon - subtle mesmerizing vapor). Their Switchblade tobacco may be nice on the atomizer - tasted to be like a blend of Desert Ship and some more peppery tobacco maybe Perique or something?

Any fruit she likes might be a good choice. In the beginning some people find food flavors give them an analog craving and some find the opposite and prefer to stay away from tobacco flavors. She'll have to figure out if she is one of those and just avoid the craving-producing flavors until she has vaped longer. After 2 months I could vape any flavor.

Nicotine level - try 24mg and 18mg (24mg is more typical for full strength smokers but the 18mg may be easier to learn on since vapor feels weird at first) and you could get one higher bottle in case she needs more.

And note - Never screw anything on further than necessary to make contact and function. That includes battery on the charger, cartos or attys on the battery. If you screw things on further than necessary it can depress the battery's center post, and then trying to fix that you can end up damaging the battery (done that)

Last edited:
Thanks. Are juices a part of the cartos, or do they need to be purchased separately? I'm a little confused on this matter.
I recommend an extra charger cable which could be use to charge both at once, as a work charger or as a spare.

Drip tip - used to drip on the atomizer to test juices or as a comfortable and easy to remove mouthpiece for simple cartomizers like Boge

Boge - I recommend learning on standard resistance (more forgiving, won't singe as easily if vaped down too much) but you only need a 5-pack for that (LiteCigUSA.net or Liberty-Flights.com should have a 5-pack). Then the LR will be more like the heat of a cig. And those are the most popular cartos. After learning to fill those and keep them damp, she could try more exotic cartos.

b2d

Aug 13, 2011
Nashvegas, TN
I cannot comment on the Riva but I will say the Delrin Drip Tip is a nice accessory. The purpose is to drip the liquid through the tip instead of removing the soft end cap on the cartomizer. I still remove the drip tip but I find it has a nice feel to it when smoking and prevents your lips from feeling the heat of the battery.

As for juice, I have found several flavors that I like. Oddly enough I prefer fruity flavors to tobacco or pipe tobacco flavors... at least so far.

I have purchased juice from Backwood Brew, Halo, Prime Vaping, and Pure Smoker. I have been very satisfied with each of these vendors. My favorite juices at the moment are: Peach, Vanilla from Backwood Brew; Tribeca from Halo; Blueberry Cinnamon Crumble from Prime Vaping; Pina Coloda from Pure Smoker.

Perhaps my wife will like the flavored juices as well. But right now she's a strict Camel no filter smoker. She smokes nothing but these cigarettes. What juice or types of juice would someone coming off these Camel's prefer?

Also, do the cartos already contain juice? I'm confused. From my list above, do I need to buy juice?
I cannot comment on the Riva but I will say the Delrin Drip Tip is a nice accessory. The purpose is to drip the liquid through the tip instead of removing the soft end cap on the cartomizer. I still remove the drip tip but I find it has a nice feel to it when smoking and prevents your lips from feeling the heat of the battery.

As for juice, I have found several flavors that I like. Oddly enough I prefer fruity flavors to tobacco or pipe tobacco flavors... at least so far.

I have purchased juice from Backwood Brew, Halo, Prime Vaping, and Pure Smoker. I have been very satisfied with each of these vendors. My favorite juices at the moment are: Peach, Vanilla from Backwood Brew; Tribeca from Halo; Blueberry Cinnamon Crumble from Prime Vaping; Pina Coloda from Pure Smoker.

Icoth

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2010
CA
The cartos do not contain juice. Plan on about 3mls per day, average consumption goes from around 2 to 6 mls per day. You'll also have to decide what strength juice to get, usually measured as mg/ml. If your wife smoked a pack a day of non-filters, I'd suggest trying 18 or 24 mg/ml. No liquid will taste like a burning cig. What flavors your wife will like is impossible to predict unfortunately. Plan on getting small sample sizes initially.

b2d

Aug 13, 2011
Nashvegas, TN
Perhaps my wife will like the flavored juices as well. But right now she's a strict Camel no filter smoker. She smokes nothing but these cigarettes. What juice or types of juice would someone coming off these Camel's prefer?

Also, do the cartos already contain juice? I'm confused. From my list above, do I need to buy juice?

Some cartos do contain juice. If you want to add your own, you will need to by BLANK cartos. The sites should specify on the product detail if the cartos contain juice or not.

As for tobacco flavors I have only tried Casablanca from Backwood Brews and Tribeca from Halo. The Casablanca has a very strong smoke flavor (almost like inhaling campfire smoke). The key is to let it sit for a few weeks to let the flavor mellow out a bit. The Tribeca flavor is very smooth and a bit sweet. I haven't tried any flavor yet that has reminded me of a tobacco cig. I used to smoke Pall Mall filters and then Pall Mall lights.

I would suggest ordering small bottles of a couple of flavors from some different vendors or try a sample pack. Believe me, you'll want to find flavor(s) you like before spending the extra money for larger sized bottles of juice. Else this new habit can become expensive.

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ

No, you fill the cartomizers with juice yourself. Check out the link I posted, they have several popular tobacco juices. Backwood Brew is another good suggestion.

No juice will taste like her cigarette but it will satisfy her nicotine need and most people like the taste of juices better than cigarettes once they've been vaping.

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
@ wacomme, buy your juice separately, the CCV catro are blanks (no juice included).
You can buy pre-filled cartos. but that is the more expensive way to go and the variety
and flavor is not as good. Filling a carto is easy, loads of posts and videos on how-to.

I was a Camel smoker, before switching to Camel filters. The anise and licorice flavors
helped me kick 'em to the curb. :)

KeysBum

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2011
Florida Keys, USA
1) Riva 510 Lite starter kit from Liberty-Flights. $30

This kit has atomizers (attys) and Cartriges (carts) It looks like you are headed the cartomizer (carto) route, which is a good one. So if your wife isn't going to use attys, consider the carto deluse package. Note: neither of these packages has a usb main plug, order one3 as well.

2) Delrin Drip Tip (Type D- 510) from Liberty-Flights X 2. (A little unsure of its purpose). $3.20

Good call, for direct dripping with attys or as a mouthpiece for cartos.

3) 15 Boge Carto Deal (510) from Crystal Clear Vaping (Crystal Clear Vaping). 1 Box? Reg or LR? Choice of Drip Tip? $20. Question? - Do these cartos contain juice?

you get three boxes of 5, you can mix and match LR and Reg. You will also get another drip tip. These do NOT include juice, but Andrew throws in a syringe for filling.

4) I suppose I need juice. Not sure what and where to buy.

You need juice. So that your wife will have some with the order(s), order some from LF or CCV, small botles. let her pick. Better she doesn't like what she picked than what you did. Favorite juices and where to buy them fill a large % of the forum. She needs to figure that one out through trial and error after she gets going.

5) Anything else?

Thanks for your help!!!!!

Good luck to the both of you. This WILL work for her if she wants it to.

LilyBear

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2011
Western NY
I am one of those who does not like any tobacco flavor I have tried I am a vanilla lover or anything fruity, fav current is a Mt Dew juice. I smoked for 20 years and love vaping 100 times more good luck finding something for her she likes and good luck to her have her come here for support if she needs it I know lots here have helped me esp. swedishfish and dormouse just being a couple of helpers :)

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
They have some prefilled standard resistance Boge cartos at VaporKings.com but it's Chinese PG juice.

Almost all cartomizers for 510 threaded devices and unfilled and I think probably all LR cartos are unfilled. You fill one, clean it up, let it settle, then vape and keep it damp to get up to week or more use out of each. I can usually get 10+ days use out of a Boge. If you singe one the flavor will suffer (get bitter).

This is how I fill - you could save this for your wife. There are other ways but this is pretty standard. After doing it once it is easy.
----
How I fill Vapor4Life KR8 cartos and Boge 510 cartos

With the carto off the battery... Pop out the soft cap with an unbent paperclip in the mouth hole, very careful not to catch stuffing or the wire loop.
Shake and open the eliquid

Fill
Hold a bit of tissue on the threaded end hole, tilt the carto, and add 18 drops per ml of capacity into the stuffing (Boges and most KR8 cartos are about 1ml).
Wait 15 seconds or so then see how many more drops the carto stuffing will soak in easily.

Cleanup
Clean up the threaded end, tilt open end down into tissue, puff into threaded end to clear air channel (Boges and the KR8 cartos I use have a defined center air channel and I want to see light through that) While the carto is still open end down, touch a soft bunch of tissue to the top of the stuffing to get the loose juice - this will help prevent leaks.

Settle
Cap and let it settle - I lay it on different sides for 15-20 minutes to make sure every bit of stuffing gets damp so I won't singe the carto. if you use thicker juice than me (I use 20% Vg or less) then you may need to wait much longer.

While vaping
While vaping, if the vapor gets a bit light or a bit dry or the carto is getting hotter than normal, I take the carto off the battery and add eliquid. Alos, I use such light sediment-free juices, I can look at the stuffing and see if it needs juice because the stuffing goes back to near-white.

I often use a plastic or delrin drip tip as a mouthpiece on Boge and KR8 cartos (not to drip into since the juice would head for the central air channel). Easy to pop out to add juice.

Last edited:
Thanks for everyone's help. I'm sort-of making sense of what you're saying. Here's my revised purchase list:

1) Black Riva 510 Lite starter kit from Liberty-Flights. $30. (Is the Carto Deluxe worth it instead of buying the Lite kit for the carrying case if my wife is going to use the cartomizer?)
2) Delrin Drip Tip (Type D- 510) from Liberty-Flights X 2. $3.20 (maybe redundant, but it's cheap).
3) 15 Boge Carto Deal (510) from Crystal Clear Vaping (Crystal Clear Vaping). 1 box, reg, clear black drip tip, $20. I know regular cartos were suggested for starters, but this choice is easier than trying to find other cartos.
4) 50ml Sampler Pack from the Vapor Station. 24mg, RY4, Tampa, Seattle, Apple, Cafe Sumatra, Black Cherry, Cocoa, Rosewater, Cherry Almond, Frost. $25.

What do you think?

Icoth

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2010
CA
It's a good order. When you get the 15 carto deal you can split the order between regular resistance and low resistance. That way your wife can try them both. Also, if you're getting either one or two free drip tips (depending on style) with the 15 carto pack, you might delete the drip tips from liberty flights. You can never have too many drip tips, but chances are your wife will want to get some fancier ones eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread