Getting rid of the stinkies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ld3441

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Florida, USA
Since I bought my first device 2 weeks ago yesterday, I have not had a cigarette. In saying that, I am still carrying the last of them with me. I don't know, just having them there (just in case) has somehow made it easier I think.

I am a frugal person (ok, I'm cheap) and when Florida added the $10 a carton tax I started making my own. I'm not a roll your own type but instead bought the tubes already rolled with filters and just added the tobacco via machine. I probably picked a bad time to start this since I have enough stuff to make another carton at least. I had no intention of buying 2 weeks ago but instead went in the vape shop to see what it was all about and ended up with my first kit.

The first week seemed easy, I did not want one at all. I am now finding the urge is there to just try one but I have resisted. I fear if I try just one, I will be right back to it again and I don't want to go there but I'm also finding it difficult to just throw them away! I really do think it's time to get rid of this stuff so I'm not tempted or at least when I am tempted it won't be here.

Anyone else feel this way when they quit or am I just crazy? LOL Maybe I don't want the answer to the second part of that!

EvilZoe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
Since I bought my first device 2 weeks ago yesterday, I have not had a cigarette. In saying that, I am still carrying the last of them with me. I don't know, just having them there (just in case) has somehow made it easier I think.

I am a frugal person (ok, I'm cheap) and when Florida added the $10 a carton tax I started making my own. I'm not a roll your own type but instead bought the tubes already rolled with filters and just added the tobacco via machine. I probably picked a bad time to start this since I have enough stuff to make another carton at least. I had no intention of buying 2 weeks ago but instead went in the vape shop to see what it was all about and ended up with my first kit.

The first week seemed easy, I did not want one at all. I am now finding the urge is there to just try one but I have resisted. I fear if I try just one, I will be right back to it again and I don't want to go there but I'm also finding it difficult to just throw them away! I really do think it's time to get rid of this stuff so I'm not tempted or at least when I am tempted it won't be here.

Anyone else feel this way when they quit or am I just crazy? LOL Maybe I don't want the answer to the second part of that!

I still have a carton of tubes with such a thick layer of dust on it I can barely make out the name....lol I have a HUGE bag of rolling papers from the tobacco, too.....lol I can't bring myself to throw them out as they're still very useful but not for MY purposes, anymore.....lol

I'm thinking I should just donate them to a smoke shop or something.

As far as the trying a cigarette thing, if you get an overpowering urge to try a cig again, go ahead and allow yourself to try. Most people are revolted and head right back to their PV.

And don't allow yourself to feel guilt. You have to understand that this is a major change in your life and you cannot make something completely "off limits" or you'll just increase the appeal of it for yourself.

It's pretty easy to get back to vaping once you've begun successfully.

Last edited:

Thepinfamily

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Virginia
What mg nic are you vaping? Maybe you should step up your nic? I went through a similar experience when I started. I started at 18mg and it worked great for two weeks. Then I started having cravings. I switched to 24mg and the cravings went away with two puffs on my mod. After 6 months I went back to 18mg. I never did have a stinky.

EvilZoe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
You are newly smoke-free as well, do you not think about it at all having it there?

I have actual cigarettes here and I feel better knowing that if I want one I won't have to expend any effort to get one. It's actually COMFORTING....lol

I haven't had a real desire to smoke, though. A passing thought that lasts a few seconds. Nothing serious.

Plus, the more I vape, the more interested in vaping I get and the better everything tastes and works for me.

I had a rough time stopping the cigarettes completely when I first started vaping so I was doing both for a while before just vaping exclusively. It was the mental thing that kept me from letting them go. I was terrified.

I'm not scared anymore now, though. :)

Last edited:

Ld3441

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Florida, USA
I have actual cigarettes here and I feel better knowing that if I want one I won't have to expend any effort to get one. It's actually COMFORTING....lol

I haven't had a real desire to smoke, though. A passing thought that lasts about a minute. Nothing serious.

Plus, the more I vape, the more interested in vaping I get and the better everything tastes and works for me.

I had a rough time stopping the cigarettes completely when I first started vaping so I was doing both for a while before just vaping exclusively. It was the mental thing that kept me from letting them go. I was terrified.

I'm not scared anymore now, though. :)

I completely understand! This is how I have felt but am now questioning that since I am feeling the urge more.

Hill

ECF Veteran
May 7, 2013
Texas USA
I had those occasional urges after i quit the stinkies until I came to realize that was my bodies way of telling me it wanted nicotine. Since the only way I got nicotine was from smoking, thats how my body interprets it. But now I just take a few puffs off the ole Provari and I'm fine.
You just have to realize its not the smoke you want its the nic. Hit that PV a few times and you'll be good to go.

Last edited:

EvilZoe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
I completely understand! This is how I have felt but am now questioning that since I am feeling the urge more.

My main point is the more and harder you deny yourself, the more likely it is that you will fail. It's a good way to sabotage your efforts.

Just take it one incident at a time and ask yourself if it's really bad enough that you want to try a cig again. If it isn't, it will pass extremely quickly. If it doesn't, try a few puffs and forgive yourself.

This is a lifestyles change. You want it to be permanent. Putting stress and restrictions on yourself will end up cutting yourself off at the knees and bring you back to square one.

It's really okay and normal to feel like you're feeling.

Ld3441

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Florida, USA
I do understand your point Zoe but I don't want to give in to these urges. I have been a smoker for almost 40 years off and on. I have quit several times but always went back thinking one won't hurt here and there until I was smoking again. I think I'm going to pick up some 24mg nic. for these times and hope that settles these urges. The first week seemed so easy I guess I was hoping it would stay that way. Having the stinkies here was comforting for me as well but I didn't have the urge. Now it is scaring me!

EvilZoe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
I do understand your point Zoe but I don't want to give in to these urges. I have been a smoker for almost 40 years off and on. I have quit several times but always went back thinking one won't hurt here and there until I was smoking again. I think I'm going to pick up some 24mg nic. for these times and hope that settles these urges. The first week seemed so easy I guess I was hoping it would stay that way. Having the stinkies here was comforting for me as well but I didn't have the urge. Now it is scaring me!

Yes, I had forgotten about upping the nicotine during those times. I vary my nic levels at different times during the day, myself.

Do that and it will definitely become easier for you.

But please DO take one thing to heart: if you end up smoking one cig, it's not the end of the world and you have to make sure you don't allow yourself to belief that you've failed. That WILL end up in you giving up and will destroy your efforts.

I really DO know what I'm talking about in that regard. I have a lifetime of failure behind me.

Sucker_dad

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
topeka, ks, USA
I too have been at it for 2 weeks. I did not quit all at once though. I smoked 1 cig a day until they were gone. Now that they are, I don't miss them. I did have a rough time this past week. I had bronchitus and the PV was just killing my throat. Keep at it and they will be gone from your mind as well. Congrats.

degnr8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Aberdeen,WA,U.S.A
I think Zoe pretty well nailed it. If you get rid of the cigs before you're ready then it becomes "I want a cigarette and I don't have any!" If they're available then it's more "do I really want one of those nasty things?" I think it was two years before I finally got rid of mine altogether and for the first few months I would still have one once in a while. I was always amazed at how revolting they were. The higher nic is a good idea, but you may not want to switch completely, just have some on hand for when you need an extra hit. I started out at 50mg and have worked down to 25 now. I still keep some 50 around for stress times and when I just can't get motivated. I'm also going to make some 10 for when I'm chain vaping on the forum before bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread