GG Penelope

Status
Not open for further replies.

reeftivo

ECF Veteran
May 28, 2010
Chino, california
Haven't seen many reviews on these but Imeos chunk videos sold me on trying one out. His videos are low def at best but the ease of assembly and immediate vapor production made me want one .

Received mine yesterday and it is polished to perfection. After staring at it for a while I disassembled it and was impressed at the clean machine work (all stainless except ceramic and o-rings). The unit is very close to the size of my smoktech DCT tank (3ml). The base assembly with the ceramic is pretty cool because it has the ceramic exposed on one side only. The other channel for the wick is a stainless channel which grounds the wire instead of using the nut like the Ody. When you run the wire down the channels you take the wire from the exposed ceramic side and wrap it around the bottom post and tighten the small base nut. The other wire is just placed underneath the wick in channel on the stainless side with the nut threaded over top and the wick is then cut slightly shorter to the length of the threads. Super simple! I only had one pre- made wire with mine so I was careful on it. I did 6 wraps of the wire and it checked out at 1.5 ohms. The Penelope fired perfectly right out of the gate. No burnt taste, great flavor and massive throat hit with my 24mg juice. I'll have to try some of my 12 mg juices on the next fill . I heard that the ceramic may have a soapy taste at first so as a precaution, I disassembled the ceramic and cooked it off a bit over the flame on my stove . No soapy taste whatsoever.

Super happy with the purchase and I'm sure these things will take off for those that want a slimmer solid RA.

Ill be posting a short video soon .

Tivo

Last edited:

reeftivo

ECF Veteran
May 28, 2010
Chino, california
Edit: forgot to mention that I was hoping for a resistance above 1.5 ohms with the 6 wraps but feel I will need to make my own wire to get to to 2.5 or above. No big for now! It vapes like a champ at 3.7 on my provari.

Picture on the provari
2012-07-08_16-35-21_500.jpg

Next to 3ml DCT tank
2012-07-08_18-10-52_30.jpg

Last edited:

reeftivo

ECF Veteran
May 28, 2010
Chino, california
I run both Ody's and recently got the Penelope. I like them both. You can't beat them for flavor and throat hit. I run mine with 3.5ohm coils at 7.4v and they work great for sure. Nice review

Thanks Torqueguy!

Did you ever use the pre-made wire for the Penelope ?

Curious to see if you had something close to the 1.5ohm I have. I'm going to be picking up some silver and nichrome wire soon to build my own. Any suggestions for wire and gauge are greatly appreciated as I'm new to rebuildables.

Happy vaping

Tivo

Torqueguy

Supplier's Manufacturer - Offline
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2011
Central Virginia
Thanks Torqueguy!

Did you ever use the pre-made wire for the Penelope ?

Curious to see if you had something close to the 1.5ohm I have. I'm going to be picking up some silver and nichrome wire soon to build my own. Any suggestions for wire and gauge are greatly appreciated as I'm new to rebuildables.

Happy vaping

Tivo
For LR, you need to stay with a1 grade, Kanthal 32 ga

The best non res wire I found is solid sterling silver, 30 ga. I get both on ebay. Make sure silver is dead soft, not half hard

reeftivo

ECF Veteran
May 28, 2010
Chino, california
It is!

the logo threw me off when I first looked at it in pictures.

I thought what the heck? a butterfly or what?

It's actually an etched PV in the center with the GG (golden greek) wings.

the etching (if it is) is rough like fine sand paper. I figured it may wear off after a while but looked closely at it and scraped it a little (I know!) to see how durable it would be and it's not going anywhere.

I'm a little pi$$ed off because I was on the notify list for wire at COV and they sent me a message last night and when I finally saw it an hour later, the d@m things were already sold out. What the #$%!?

Have to wait another week to get the ready wires from them now-Arrgg!

I will be getting some kanthal, nichrome and silver wire (from UK) soon but wanted a few of the ready wires since they are durable, well put together and simple. at a buck a piece it's not bad either.

Tivo

reeftivo

ECF Veteran
May 28, 2010
Chino, california
I would but me and PayPal are at odds right now.

Just to clarify, the wire I was referring to at COV is what they call "ready wires". The ones that are already prepared with R and NR nichrome by Imeo. I know, sounds lazy but I wanted to have a few of them handy until I can get my situation resolved with PP and can order the R and NR wire in bulk separately.

Any suggestions on sites in the US that sell more than 3 ft and accept credit or debit would be appreciated. looking for either nichrome, kanthal NR and silver for resistance wire

Tivo

Last edited:

79Silo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Just waiting for mine to arrive but i need to wait for another week or so before i reach my office in MA. Im very excited on it since i see is start to ship already. I'm very new in rebuildable and i order some pre wire from Rebuildable Atomizer Coils - Avid Vaper not sure if is working or not. i ordered Resistance heating wire Kanthal A-1 33 awg 100 ft, and no resistance silver .999 from wire.co.uk. So anyone try the avid premade wire?

bacc.vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2011
Virtualville
Just waiting for mine to arrive but i need to wait for another week or so before i reach my office in MA. Im very excited on it since i see is start to ship already. I'm very new in rebuildable and i order some pre wire from Rebuildable Atomizer Coils - Avid Vaper not sure if is working or not. i ordered Resistance heating wire Kanthal A-1 33 awg 100 ft, and no resistance silver .999 from wire.co.uk. So anyone try the avid premade wire?

I have'nt used the pre made coils from avidvaper, but it appears to me they are just resistance wire, you would still need to attach non resistance wire at each end.

79Silo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I have'nt used the pre made coils from avidvaper, but it appears to me they are just resistance wire, you would still need to attach non resistance wire at each end.

i see. Another question. Is this a resistance or non resistance wire. Im Confuse:-

10metres 0.236mm Nickel Wire
Ref: NI0236-010

Price: £5.00 (~€6.25) (Excluding VAT at 20%)
0.236mm 34 SWG Bare Nickel Wire, (approx 1.83 ohms per metre)

POPULAR FOR USE AS LOW RESISTANCE WIRE IN E CIG ATOMIZERS
Recomended for use in ODYSSEUS and PENELOPE atomizers

79Silo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nickel or .999 silver wire is used as No Resistance wire. What you want for resistance wire is called NiChrome or Kanthal A1.

Aha!! easy to understand.. so i already order 10metres 0.236mm Nickel (actually 100mtr) Wire is a no resistance wire. Glad i do that, i order a lot of kanthal.. so confuse which is which. Thank you for the clarification

BigErn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2012
Georgia
Anybody who uses the Penelope with a VV mod, it would be interesting if you could post what your ideal setup is. How many wraps in your coils, do you double up the wick, what voltage do you vape at, etc? I am searching for the ideal vape (I use 100% VG juice, so I'm looking for robust flavor, anything else (throat hit, etc) is secondary to this, for me.

Xaiver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2011
Clearwater, MN
I'm using a kicked unit, so it's sort of backwards math here, but maybe it'll help you a little bit.

I've got my kick set at 8 watts(ish) and I just took the multimeter to Penelope and she says 3.7. Must be the coil starting to gunk up, I wrapped it at 2.5, and once it was on the unit it said 3.3. Anywho, that would put my voltage at around 5.4. But again...as my coil gunks up and the resistance increases, the kick compensates. That's where I seem to prefer it at, makes a nice warm vape, not too hot, not too cool. A very full vapor too, clouds.

Edit: Oops. Sorry, Battlestar Galactica is on in the background, it's tough to focus. :)

Double wick, otherwise I tend to get dry hits. I measure my coil out with a multi-meter, and usually stop it around 2.5ohms. That is somewhere around 3-4 wraps, I believe, never really counted.

Is there any reason that you use 100% VG? Does PG irritate your throat or something? I use about 70/30 pg/vg. Straight VG in DIY is a PITA. Sticks to the syringes, doesn't work well in pipettes because it's so thick. So I prefer to use as little of it as possible. IIRC, PG carries flavor/TH better than VG as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread