• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

God, Jesus, Church and Vapers

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are all given free will, what we choose to do with it is up to each of us. Seeing that Jesus knows what is in your heart I suppose nothing you do is wrong if you believe it isn't, right?
Where do we draw the line? If someone believes it's okay to steal from someone if they have more money then them, is that right? are they right?
Reasoning like this is what has lead to society rules of behavior because any one person can not be trusted to make the right choices all the time.
Although groups of people have been known to make terrible choices that everyone else has to live with so it seems we can't win, Unless we are in tune to a spiritual connection with our Higher Power and be observant as to societies rules we may make it through life with a minimum of mistakes and regrets.
Personally, If I were a pastor I would not care if you had a vape or not, but I would think that restraint would show me the difference between focus on the topic and just "being there"
Example- How would You feel if your spouse were having a vape during the love making? Could you be sure they were really "in the moment" or maybe "just there"?

Blue Max- If this post is too controversial let me know and I will gladly delete any or all of It. This was writen with the best of intentions and not directed to any person, just some words that slipped out on my keyboard.

Not controversial at all.

You bring up good points that can be discussed.

To even think about vaping in church to me is silly. I can't even believe anyone would want to. I wouldn't even drink a soft drink in church. To me church is a place to worship God. A place to show your love for God. A place to forget worldly pleasures and fix our mind on God. A place to rejoice in the Lord!

Amen Amen Amen

Kaston

ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2008
Texas, USA
Question from an agnostic: How do you know you have the right religion?

Two-thirds of religious people tend to stick to the religion of their parents without "shopping around", yet those same people taut that their religion is the right one.

Estimates project there are about 4,200 religions which brings me to this conundrum:

Assuming there is a god, and assuming there is one "correct" religion, a person has a one in 4,200 chance to be born into the correct religion, so how can anyone be sure they are in the correct one?

Last edited by a moderator:

mgrimes

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2008
San Diego, CA

Assuming there is a god, and assuming there is one "correct" religion, a person has a one in 4,200 chance to be born into the correct religion, so how can anyone be sure they are in the correct one?

Reply from an atheist? :)

Religion was manufactured to give people a sense of purpose. How many religions are there? How many of them are actually telling the real deal? Is everyone damned that didn't win 1st prize in former question? Seriously. What sort of God would say y'all didn't spin the wheel and pick the right one so you're all going Hell? I didn't think so.
I have no problems with people of all religions, but let me find my reason being. Therefore... I'd vape in church without fear of a tormented soul ;) After all you're saving yourself by opting out of sucking on cancer sticks.

Mrs. CaSH

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2008
Nashville, TN

Two-thirds of religious people tend to stick to the religion of their parents without "shopping around", yet those same people taut that their religion is the right one.

Estimates project there are about 4,200 religions which brings me to this conundrum:

Hi Kaston,

I'm no theologist or Bible scholar by any means. So please take this with a grain of salt. I know that there are MANY people throughout history and today who have tried numerous times to prove the Bible wrong, but none have been successful. Some have even become believers in their quest to disprove the Bible. Alot of things in the Bible have been taken out of context or misinterpreted causing some to think there are contradictions in the Bible.

I think one thing that separates Christianity from other religions is that Christians have a personal relationship with God. It's not about your good deeds or rituals that your religion requires of you. Salvation is a free gift from God, and once a person accepts this gift their life changes. Not because they're causing it to change, but because God gives them a new life filled with joy that only his love can give. I have not studied other religions as some may have, but I haven't heard of another religion where the person can say that their god is their best friend. And almost all Christians can say that Jesus is their ultimate best friend.

I for one WAS raised by Christian parents, so in a way, I was taught that this was right. But I've never doubted it. I guess it just makes sense to me, and its something that I believe in, not because I was forced to, but because I've seen what God has done in my life and in the lives of others to change it for the better. Hope I wasn't too confusing in this post. Just speaking from the heart, and you all are welcome to correct me if I've taken something out of context.

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
I decided to start this off-topic thread after reading a previous post about vaping in a Church.

Then the curiosity hit me. How many members on this forum who vape are dedicated Christians?

What I would like from this thread is a place were dedicated Christians can share their testimonies, talk about God and Jesus, ask for prayer and how they feel about vaping being an addiction that needs to be corrected.

Although I have no control over it, I would like other members that are not into God, to please not post any comments and/or jokes about our beliefs and allow us to be.

Those that come to this thread seeking God are more than welcome to take part with us and ask us whatever questions you may have about God and how God can better your life.

So my brothers and Sisters, what are your stories?

Please, let's not forget why this thread was started.

Let's not make this into some sort of free-for-all, k?

Sorry, Max...didn't mean to interrupt your thread.

Lu

brandeeashlynn

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2009
I am a conservative christian. And I believe that Jesus is lord. I dont believe vaping is a sin at all. I was praying for an alternative when i just happened to stumble on ecig one night searching youtube. It has blessed me ever since. I have been praying for them not to be banned an I believe they wont be. I hope to talk more about this topic and I hope more threads are to come. God Bless everyone and keep on vaping.:D

Dawnfox

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2009
KC, MO
There's a book out there that's on my "To read" list called I Don't Have Enough Faith to be an Atheist by Norman L. Geisler. It looks like a decent read, but I'm have my final in Philosophy coming up so it will have to wait until I finish with that.

It's a great book! You should check out the website - CrossExamined.org - until you have a chance to read it. There's a weekly TV show also, but it's on a channel I don't get. I did see a video of a campus discussion. Great apologetics, awesome to see what they're doing.

You bring up a very interesting point of view.

Mrs Cash pretty much said it all.

Religion can be defined in whatever way people want to define it. I have heard many definitions including the theory that religion was created to answer questions that could not be answered ex: The indians could not explain why the sun existed so they said it was the Sun God.

Many of us believe that it's not the religion that counts but the relationship one has with Jesus our Lord and Savior and Father God.

So if you are looking for the "right" religion, stop looking. Instead focus on your relationship with God and Jesus. Establishing a relationship alone can be a mind blowing experience but you have to put your heart and faith into it to see results.

By the way, your assumption is correct...There is a God.

Reply from an atheist? :)

Religion was manufactured to give people a sense of purpose. How many religions are there? How many of them are actually telling the real deal? Is everyone damned that didn't win 1st prize in former question? Seriously. What sort of God would say y'all didn't spin the wheel and pick the right one so you're all going Hell? I didn't think so.
I have no problems with people of all religions, but let me find my reason being. Therefore... I'd vape in church without fear of a tormented soul ;) After all you're saving yourself by opting out of sucking on cancer sticks.

To answer you, this is how it simply works and it comes straight from the good book...Accept God and Jesus into your heart. Accept Jesus as your Lord and savior, repent of your sins....You will go to heaven, not Hell regardless of what religion you are in.

As far as who is telling the truth, as long as it comes directly from the bible...it is the truth.

As far as vaping in Church, of course you're not going to be crucified for that, but in all honesty it is taking your purpose away from being there in the first place. Are you in church to hear the word of God or just to hangout and vape? There are bars and social lounges for that.

I hope I have answered your question and invite you to hang around if you would like to learn more about Jesus.

wanderlust

ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2009
North Carolina, USA
The issue wasn't about vaping and going to hell but about dis-respecting a worship service for the purpose of being offensive. Offense for the sake of offense is just silly. Regarding mgrimes' questions about religion, as has been stated, there is a difference between religion and spirituality. Spirituality is about the relationship with God. Much more important than rituals. IMO everyone owes it to themselves to explore the God that is rather than one we create. Many religions require some form of work or good deeds to balance the ledger and secure "salvation." Others worship the dead or inanimate objects of nature. Some are never assured of salvation. I like to keep things simple and go to the source of all creation. Look about and you will see the handiwork. It's faith! Earlier in the thread someone mentioned Norman Geisler's book "I Don't Have Enough Faith to be an Atheist." It's good reading but not for the faint hearted and yes it's great apologetics.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
"It's not about your good deeds or rituals that your religion requires of you."

I was taught that "faith" and "belief" leads to good deeds. And rituals are not a requirement but they can be a "comfort" and a means to share your personal belief in Christ with your fellow believers.

Just my two cents worth from a Jesuit education.

Hi all,

I can not believe how much this thread has grown in a matter of hours.

Thank you all for being a part of it.

Smoking Joe has replied to my messages.

I have started a social group named "Christian Vapers". I ask that everyone please go over to the social group area and sign up to be a member of this group. The group is open to all (Public) just like our church doors.

Once I have enough members, I will be able to create our own forum which will be accessible in the social forums area in the "Community" Section.

And yes, I will have moderator rights if things get a little out of hand but I have faith that it won't.

Thank you Smokin Joe.

Max

Last edited:

wanderlust

ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2009
North Carolina, USA
Boy, I really need to get a better picture or maybe an avatar. I know I'll look for an old one with the ElectraGlide. No that would be like misrepresentation. I'm old now with two teenagers so I guess I should just accept it. Perhaps something more recent and clean shaven. Ah, now I've really digressed. Like you said wv2win corporate worship is great which reminds me I've got a sunday school lesson to work on.

But what is your take on your body being a temple of God / part of the body of Christ and our responsibility of keeping it safe, healthy and sound?
We are called to be faithful stewards of all that is given to us, including our bodies. However, we must not worship them. "For bodily exercise profits a little, but godliness is profitable for all things..." (1 Tim 4:8)

As someone else pointed out here, it's not what goes into our mouths that defiles us, but what comes out of it. That's straight from Jesus. So yeah.

Use discretion. Take care of the earth suit God gave you. But if you have an addiction, and beating it would consume time, energy, and thought processes that could instead be used for doing His work in the world, I think He'd want you to be working rather than sit focused on self.

Just my $.02, as usual...

~~Cheryl

Last edited:
It's a great book! You should check out the website - CrossExamined.org - until you have a chance to read it. There's a weekly TV show also, but it's on a channel I don't get. I did see a video of a campus discussion. Great apologetics, awesome to see what they're doing.

Thanks for the website link. I'll check it out.

I'm currently studying Philosophy of Religion. So all the arguments for and against the existence of God are being debated in our class discussions. My research paper is a discussion of evil, free will vs. God's Omnibenevolence/Omnipotence/Omniscience. (I think I'm a masochist..Wish me luck!). Of all the arguments we've studied, this is the one that caught my attention and currently has my focus. I'm learning so much about myself and the nature of God and of human beings in general. For this thread to pop up at this particular time.......hmmmmmm? Coincidence? Providence?

I choose to believe. I choose to study. I choose to comply with as much of God's word as I am able to understand. I'm glad I chose to be on the forums tonight!

Goodnight all! God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread