Got back into building, need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kidkev

Sep 12, 2021
Hey, I used to vape years ago and took a break for a few years, I used mech mods and would build my own coils and make these fancy twisted coils and would experiment and build different types of coils, I would even patina a decorate some of my copper mech mods too! I enjoyed the hands-on craft of this hobby.

I would like to get back into this hobby and focus on building coils and chasing big clouds! It's just that after having not been in the vape world for a few years things sure seem pretty different from what I remember, back then everyone had mech mods and the building coils was just part of it, now you can buy pre-made coils and the prices of some these mech mods have shot through the roof!

I need help in understanding what equipment is ideal for my needs, I assume to building crazy coils and chase clouds you would have to use a mechanical mod? or can this be done with these new regulated box mods?

I recently walked into a smoke shop and bought some stuff without much research and the guy at the store didn't know much either, so I just bought some stuff that looked right lol!

I bought:
Lost Vape Quest Grus 100w MOD
Wotofo Atty3 RDA
and some SS316l wire in 28g
and a 18650 battery in a white wrap that says "energy" in blue on it, not sure if this is real or a knockoff

I wrapped a single coil and did about 13 wraps on a 2mm rod and it came out to 1.1ohm, I installed it and it worked but I only got about two or three small hits before the battery got low and I would have to charge it, the battery only lasted about 20-30mintues after charging overnight, the vapor from the first hit was also pretty disappointing too.

Definitely not the clouds I was used too :(

Anyways I'm wondering if you guys can help steer me in the right direction and let me know what I'm doing wrong and also what equipment I should I buy for my needs, I'm planning on buying everything new again so if the equipment I listed above cant be used then that's fine. Not sure if I should jump back into mech mods or maybe there is a new way to do things now!

thanks!

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
Also, are there any good reputable online vendors that I can buy vapes and accessories? currently browsing element vape
Element is a good one.
How much airflow does your rda have? A lot?
You could try twisted coils with the wire you have.
I would think you want lower resistance and lots of airflow for big clouds, under .5 resistance.
As far as the fancy pre-built coils, I like 4 core claptons. The more surface area the more vapor.
Batteries, sounds like the one you have is a cheapo and you need others.
Lg hg2 is good, for low resistance go with Molicel p26a. Samsung 25r and Sony vtc5a are good. The molicels have the highest continuous amp rating and will work best for you is you go over 60 watts.

• Informative
Reactions: JCinFLA

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Also, are there any good reputable online vendors that I can buy vapes and accessories? currently browsing element vape

Element Vape is definitely a reputable vendor. They're also usually higher priced for the same things though...that can be found from other US vendors. Usually when I've bought from them it was only when I had a coupon code or they were having a too good to pass up Sale. Their S/H is also usually higher compared to some others.

For most things, if you'll do some Google searching, you can find widely varying prices for the same identical vaping items. It really helps to spend the time doing it, especially when you're starting from scratch again gear-wise, and the future availability of vaping gear in the US seems "iffy" at best.

I don't know how much you are aware of, as far as what's been going on with vaping and the FDA, PMTAs, some state bans and/or restrictions, ridiculous taxes on vaping "stuff", etc. But, you might want to determine what you want to buy...as soon as you can. Many of us have built a "vape stash" of pretty much anything/everything we think we'll need, to be able to vape for as long as we want to in the future. ;) It's a shame, but it's gotten to that point unfortunately.

Last edited:

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Have a black v1 from a couple years ago, and one 5th anniversary gold v2. Love em.

They both have very large capacities, from what I saw while Googling them! I also saw them at a wide range of prices. I need to mention those to a local friend who "loves clouds", but doesn't like having to refill whatever he's using so often. ;) I'll let him know that you highly recommend them.

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
They both have very large capacities, from what I saw while Googling them! I also saw them at a wide range of prices. I need to mention those to a local friend who "loves clouds", but doesn't like having to refill whatever he's using so often. ;) I'll let him know that you highly recommend them.
They are very nice. Well made. As far as capacity goes, the V1 has a conversion kit (don't know if it is compatible with v2) with different chimney and Glass tube lengths. V1 can do 5mls, 10mls, or.... there is a 20ml glass and chimney you can put on it.
I prefer the 5ml glass, the others are big. The 20 is ridiculous. And you lose flavor because of the long chimney.
The Aromamizer Plus is very versatile, postless deck for two coils. Will take very large complicated coils easily.
But be warned, these things are 30mm wide and almost require big coils and high wattage to get good flavor.

• Informative

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
and would build my own coils and make these fancy twisted coils and would experiment and build different types of coils
So, what did you do in the past for twisted coils?
Mixed twisted is my specialty. My favorite combo is Kanthal, one 26g, one 28g, and one flat .1x.8mm wire, twisted tight, 6/7 wraps, 2.5mm inner diameter. Each coil comes out to about .45 and I run them as dual coils. I put these in a Zeus X RTA at 69 watts, and a Geekvape Loop RDA at 80 watts.
For me, adding flat wire into the mix twisted was a game changer, brings out more flavor.

• Informative

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
First, recycle that battery and get some decent ones. 18650 battery store or Li ion wholesale is where I normally buy. I like SS316 and buy rolls or premade coils from Advanced Vape Supply.

Be sure to refresh your memory on battery safety and safe builds.
Otherwise, no, you don’t need a mech for clouds. I use both mechs and regulated mods, and with the right atty, the right coil, and enough power, I get the same clouds with both.

Kidkev

Sep 12, 2021
Element is a good one.
How much airflow does your rda have? A lot?
You could try twisted coils with the wire you have.
I would think you want lower resistance and lots of airflow for big clouds, under .5 resistance.
As far as the fancy pre-built coils, I like 4 core claptons. The more surface area the more vapor.
Batteries, sounds like the one you have is a cheapo and you need others.
Lg hg2 is good, for low resistance go with Molicel p26a. Samsung 25r and Sony vtc5a are good. The molicels have the highest continuous amp rating and will work best for you is you go over 60 watts.

The RDA has decent airflow and it's a cube so it's about 24mm x 24mm, yeah I think my batteries are not cutting it, I was planning on ordering some Sony vtc6a 21700 from the element.

Kidkev

Sep 12, 2021
As an example, my biggest cloud producer is an Aromamizer Plus rta with dual 4 core fused claptons (nichrome) that come out to .12 on a dual cell regulated mod at 88-90 watts. Thick rich big old cloud and flavor.
This is interesting I would have never thought of an RTA producing clouds, I'll have to look into that, for your mod what are you using? when did you say 88-90 watts are you delivering that much to the coils? because when I fire my mod and set it at a higher wattage it doesn't fire at that range and fires lower, for example, I could set my mod to 100w but when I press the fire button it reads 9w on the screen when I know the coil I build can handle more, I checked using steam-engine, this could also be an issue with the subpar battery I'm using

Kidkev

Sep 12, 2021
Element Vape is definitely a reputable vendor. They're also usually higher priced for the same things though...that can be found from other US vendors. Usually when I've bought from them it was only when I had a coupon code or they were having a too good to pass up Sale. Their S/H is also usually higher compared to some others.

For most things, if you'll do some Google searching, you can find widely varying prices for the same identical vaping items. It really helps to spend the time doing it, especially when you're starting from scratch again gear-wise, and the future availability of vaping gear in the US seems "iffy" at best.

I don't know how much you are aware of, as far as what's been going on with vaping and the FDA, PMTAs, some state bans and/or restrictions, ridiculous taxes on vaping "stuff", etc. But, you might want to determine what you want to buy...as soon as you can. Many of us have built a "vape stash" of pretty much anything/everything we think we'll need, to be able to vape for as long as we want to in the future. ;) It's a shame, but it's gotten to that point unfortunately.

Element vape is nice but definitely pricy, I tried googling some other vendors but a lot of the sites look pretty sketchy, and I don't feel like putting my payment info on those sites, I was wondering if this community has a list of reputable vendors that have a proven track record?

I was not aware of what is going on with the FDA, that sounds ridiculous if they ban vapes then ban cigarettes too... I guess ill have to build up a stash as well!

Kidkev

Sep 12, 2021
So, what did you do in the past for twisted coils?
Mixed twisted is my specialty. My favorite combo is Kanthal, one 26g, one 28g, and one flat .1x.8mm wire, twisted tight, 6/7 wraps, 2.5mm inner diameter. Each coil comes out to about .45 and I run them as dual coils. I put these in a Zeus X RTA at 69 watts, and a Geekvape Loop RDA at 80 watts.
For me, adding flat wire into the mix twisted was a game changer, brings out more flavor.

Mostly twisted stuff too, I couldn't give you specifics since I am a bit out of practice but I would make twisted wires twisting one counterclockwise and the other clockwise and wrapping those parallel and running it dual coil, I love the twisted stuff for the flavors as well all those little groves make a huge difference in flavor, I've never messed with flat wire but I definitely will try, more surface area more flavor!

Kidkev

Sep 12, 2021
First, recycle that battery and get some decent ones. 18650 battery store or Li ion wholesale is where I normally buy. I like SS316 and buy rolls or premade coils from Advanced Vape Supply.

Be sure to refresh your memory on battery safety and safe builds.
Otherwise, no, you don’t need a mech for clouds. I use both mechs and regulated mods, and with the right atty, the right coil, and enough power, I get the same clouds with both.

Yeah ill definitely ditch the battery I have now and get some Sonys, SS316 is interesting back then it was all kanthal lol, Im interested in all the new materials especially with all the TC mods out here now, TC used to be pretty exclusive back then I remember the first time I heard about it on a DNA mod and then I found out the price :shock:

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Element vape is nice but definitely pricy, I tried googling some other vendors but a lot of the sites look pretty sketchy, and I don't feel like putting my payment info on those sites, I was wondering if this community has a list of reputable vendors that have a proven track record?

There are too many to make a list of them and opinions would vary widely as to which ones are each person's favorites. Also, unfortunately, some of them that many of us used over the years...aren't even in business any more. But some definitely are still selling online.

However, once you figure out exactly what you want...if you'll send me a PM (private message) with your list of "stuff"...I'll find you the best deals on it from reputable US vendors. I enjoy searching to find them and have had lots of practice doing it! :)

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
The RDA has decent airflow and it's a cube so it's about 24mm x 24mm, yeah I think my batteries are not cutting it, I was planning on ordering some Sony vtc6a 21700 from the element.
I overlooked the fact that the Grus uses 21700s, the vtc6a 21700 will be better than any 18650.

Reactions: Kidkev
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread