Got My Darwin today, I have a few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

abby182000

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2009
Ok so I'll admit I was stalking stamps.com as well as the mailman :D SOOOO anyway I got my Darwin TODAY and I'm very excited. I am so used to the 901 taste and vapor production (510's ran too hot). I fire up this thing with a 510 cartomizer and it sorta tasts like plastic and then a burning taste kicks in right over that and my mouth gets hot. Mind you this is with the setting at 4.9 watts. This could be because I am using a brand new cart. Does anyone know if this feeling will go away?

I did hook up one of my 901's on it and loved it, however I drip and i've read that dripping with the darwin can fry atty's :(

Am I forced to live with hot vapor cause carts only come as 510's???

I've also noticed I can't chainvape like I could with my xshaler.....

abby182000

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2009
I think it was the cart because after about 2 hours most of the nasty flavor is gone. I had some KR 808 carts before for my xs haler and they were ok however I think I ended up giving the rest away (I wasn't too good at filling them and would suck up juice constantly).

Now I have run into the problem where I release the button it doesn't shut off. Even if I move the atomizer to the down position it still continues to glow red, until I push and release the button a second time.

I really wish clear-o-mizers came in options other than 510!!!!!

abby182000

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2009
have you had the problem where you release the button and the light goes off however the atomizer continues to burn and it takes a good 15 seconds of fiddling with it to even get it to turn off? I was shopping at the mall tonight and my pocket was burning and I realized it wasn't shut off even though the atomizer was in the off position and I had juice leaking everywhere and I couldn't get the darn thing to turn off. I had to burn my fingertips to screw off the cart :( I then messed with it while the cart was off and was able to get the thing to finally turn off.

Diesel9

Verified Member
Dec 14, 2010
NC
abby182000, that sucks about your Darwin. Did it ever start working right? I got mine in on wen and at first it would fire but moving the thumb-wheel did absolutely nothing. The wattage just wouldn't change at all. If i put a little pressure down on it I could get it to change some but it would drop right to 4.2 if let go of it.

I requested a replacement that afternoon and got a reply saying they'd overnight one, still waiting on that one. However friday I figured i'd try it one more time and it started working like its suppose to? no clue why. I used it for a few hours and It dropped again to 4.2 watts. Must have a bad solder joint or something. So i haven't messed with it. Looking forward to getting the replacement. Trying to stay positive about it, but damn if i weren't ...... on wen.

Pete

abby182000

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2009
no it turns out there was 1 or 2 of them that went out that the button wasn't filed down on. Drew actually called me to tell me what the culprit was, he said i could ship it back or try and push hard back and forth on the button to see if it helps. I figure I will use it as it (making sure I remember to check that it's off) and ship it back while I'm out of town (can't risk my darwin at customs) and it will be perfect when I get back.

I do have to state that while vacuuming for about 5 minutes today it was stuck on and I didn't realize it. Those clear-o-misers sure can take a beating! sucker spit boiling hot juice in my mouth cause I didn't know it was still on and it isn't burned up, cracked or melted. Been using it since Wednesday and it took an entire fill full before the nasty taste was gone.

Diesel9

Verified Member
Dec 14, 2010
NC
Oh thats cool of Drew to follow up with you on that. Well an update on mine, the replacement came via usps today and works wonderfully! I wouldn't hesitate to contact Evolv about yours though if it keeps acting up. They shipped me a replacement out pretty dang quick so i'm happy with that.

With that said i'm very pleased with Nhaler making the Darwin available to us, and Evolv, making imo the best Mod on the market.

Note on the clearomizers, when i used them, I pulled all the rings out, pulled the tube off and rinsed everything in the sink, dryed with a paper towel. Then dry burned the wick a little before putting the tub back on. rings back in. and filled. Just make sure the silcone ring at the base is good and dry. Doing that above, i've never had an off tasting clearo. I've since moved to IKen and boge carto's, but just a little tip to help :).

Bianchi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 25, 2010
Saint Paul MN
For all the drippers I highly recommend getting a drip shield from empiremods.com, order a battery extender(got mine from cignot). when you place it in your pocket it should not leak have the air intake holes up.

Attachments

• _MG_3342-2.jpg
    _MG_3342-2.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 49
  • _MG_3342.jpg
    _MG_3342.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 49
  • _MG_3341.jpg
    _MG_3341.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 52
  • _MG_3339.jpg
    _MG_3339.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 49
  • _MG_3338.jpg
    _MG_3338.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 49

Parmacrafter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2009
Parma, Idaho, USA
In your original post you simply stated you were using a 510 cartomizer. But, I am gathering that it was actually a clearomizer. That issue with burning is pretty common with them. They need to be thoroughly rinsed and then dry burned for 5 to 10 seconds in most cases to get past all that. Personally I prefer the Mega 510 Cartomizers that Drew carries. Fill them up with a mil of juice and you are good for hours. Also of note is that a regular 510 atty will not be nearly as hot on the darwin. 4 watts is nowhere near to hot for the clearomizers. You should be able to run those at at least 6 without that nasty burning. But do keep in mind that they have a tendency to wick on the slow side.

Average sweet spot for the 510 mega cartos that Drew sells is between 8 & 9 watts
Average for the 510 atty should be around 6 watts if you prefer the cooler vape

abby182000

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2009
Oh thats cool of Drew to follow up with you on that. Well an update on mine, the replacement came via usps today and works wonderfully! I wouldn't hesitate to contact Evolv about yours though if it keeps acting up. They shipped me a replacement out pretty dang quick so i'm happy with that.

With that said i'm very pleased with Nhaler making the Darwin available to us, and Evolv, making imo the best Mod on the market.

Note on the clearomizers, when i used them, I pulled all the rings out, pulled the tube off and rinsed everything in the sink, dryed with a paper towel. Then dry burned the wick a little before putting the tub back on. rings back in. and filled. Just make sure the silcone ring at the base is good and dry. Doing that above, i've never had an off tasting clearo. I've since moved to IKen and boge carto's, but just a little tip to help :).

Did you contact evolv or nhaler? I put mine on the charger last night AFTER verifying that it was indeed off and well sometime in the middle of the night it turned itself on and when I woke up it was hot and stuck on and I have not been able to turn it off. SO I just pulled the carto off and set the darwin on a dresser till I can get it shipped back. Kinda makes me think it isn't the button because it was folded in the off position and then plugged in to charge. I have actually had it come on two times while in the off position......

OC513

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2009
NYC
Did you contact evolv or nhaler? I put mine on the charger last night AFTER verifying that it was indeed off and well sometime in the middle of the night it turned itself on and when I woke up it was hot and stuck on and I have not been able to turn it off. SO I just pulled the carto off and set the darwin on a dresser till I can get it shipped back. Kinda makes me think it isn't the button because it was folded in the off position and then plugged in to charge. I have actually had it come on two times while in the off position......
Contact Evolv thru their website.....they respond very quickly. I had an issue and mine was replaced within 48 hours. They were fantastic about it. These things are amazing, there is no reason for you to deal with one that does not work correctly.

abby182000

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2009
Sorry to hear about that. You defiantly have a defunct unit. I have had my Darwin since the 1st orders shipped out and I have actually not had it turn on once when it shouldn't.

Also something is wrong with your dripper because I haven't had mine leak once! The Darwin is perfect for Ddrippers!

How many drips do you use? I had just read that it can fry them IF you don't keep it wet enough. Normally I drip 3 drops onto a 901 and use until it tastes like it needs 3 more drops. Lately my atty's have been leaking through the little hole though.. Not a deal breaker, I just carry a napkin with me ;)

Drewsworld

Resting In Peace
Mar 14, 2009
New Jersey
www.nhaler.com
Murf got me started on 901s today...I read his post and looked over and saw one on the table, and grabbed it and loaded it up with some Tiger Woods (Aisan Pear with Choclate Strawberry) cranked it to 9 watts, and BAMM!
Im getting some giant clouds of goodness out of this baby!!! Somethin about the cool flavorful hit of a 901 that just hits the spot sometimes....
Drew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread