Hard hitting squonk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshmain1989

Jun 27, 2017
Hey guys! So I’m looking for a new squonk mod with minimal voltage drop. I love my pulse but I’m sure every is aware of the drop by now and it’s just not giving me the punch I’m looking for in a .15 coil. Any suggestions guys. My budget is under 150 but Ild be willing to pay a little more if it’s worth the price.

entropy1049

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Apalachicola, FL, United States
I haven’t actually checked voltage drop in my Rig mods VapeAmp squonk box, but judging by the physical attributes of the circuit path, it has to be minimal. With a 30 amp 20700, it hits fine. No current overdraw issues with a 0.15 ohm build and a good 30 amp cell.

ADDING: Just checked the voltage drop. The cell voltage was 4.207 at the posts. The voltage from the same cell in the mod from 510 across to ground was 4.207. Too close for my Fluke mm to call. In the interest of full disclosure, I did clean the contacts prior to testing.

entropy1049

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
I was actually looking at rig mods squonker earlier today. It looks nice. Do you ever run 18650s in it

I have just to check operation with the adapter, but as I have a bunch of good 30 amp 20700’s I usually run those.

Ben85

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2014
Kent, UK
I’m sorry Reo fans, but “hard hitting” they are not in comparison to other options available nowadays.

If you want minimal voltage drop I’d suggest that you want a mod with either a moddog NANO 510, or a mm510 with a single piece silver contact. Loads of options available if you are happy to go the 3d printed route. 3d mech squonkers are all I use nowadays.

Joshmain1989

Jun 27, 2017
I’m sorry Reo fans, but “hard hitting” they are not in comparison to other options available nowadays.

If you want minimal voltage drop I’d suggest that you want a mod with either a moddog NANO 510, or a mm510 with a single piece silver contact. Loads of options available if you are happy to go the 3d printed route. 3d mech squonkers are all I use nowadays.
What mods did you have in mind specifically

Reactions: stols001

Ben85

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2014
Kent, UK
What mods did you have in mind specifically

Totally depends what you are after and how you are willing to purchase. For under 150 (I assume we are talking $ here) my personal favourites are the Runt Mini by Runt Mods, the Phobia by Phobic Mods and the Front fire by Toaster designs. Those are all Facebook purchases though. For shop bought, I like the Beehive BF by 3d make art.

There are quite a few of that style though so check them out and have a nose around. Those mods tick all boxes for me, but YMMV.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hey guys! So I’m looking for a new squonk mod with minimal voltage drop. I love my pulse but I’m sure every is aware of the drop by now and it’s just not giving me the punch I’m looking for in a .15 coil. Any suggestions guys. My budget is under 150 but Ild be willing to pay a little more if it’s worth the price.

If want to pull 28 Amps thru a Squonk Mod (4.2 Volts / 0.15 Ohms = 28 Amps) then that is going to require a Single 35 Amp Battery. And there aren't too many of those out there.

Or you could go with a Dual Parallel Battery Mod. But a Dual Parallel Battery Squonk Mod is going to be a pretty Big Mod.

Is there any way to Build a Little Higher in the Ohms Department? Or does it have to be a 0.15 Ohms Build?

Joshmain1989

Jun 27, 2017
Just search for the names stated.
I looked up the toaster and I came across a site that you make mods from. Now this is a whole new world for me. I never even considered assembling my own mod. I mean I’ve heard of people doing it obviously but it seems really simple to do if you have all the right parts. Have you had any experience making mods. Or anyone else for that matter.

Ben85

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2014
Kent, UK
I looked up the toaster and I came across a site that you make mods from. Now this is a whole new world for me. I never even considered assembling my own mod. I mean I’ve heard of people doing it obviously but it seems really simple to do if you have all the right parts. Have you had any experience making mods. Or anyone else for that matter.

You found that in Facebook? Toaster design is a group of very nice people.

entropy1049

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
If want to pull 28 Amps thru a Squonk Mod (4.2 Volts / 0.15 Ohms = 28 Amps) then that is going to require a Single 35 Amp Battery. And there aren't too many of those out there.

I think I’d be quite comfortable running a good CDR 30 amp cell with a 0.15 ohm build. Is this additional padding just an extra layer of battery safety you prefer? No snarkiness intended :thumb: honestly curious why you feel a CDR 35 amp cell is necessary.

EDIT: the Driptech DS/TS is a nice option should the OP prefer a parallel box.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I think I’d be quite comfortable running a good CDR 30 amp cell with a 0.15 ohm build. Is this additional padding just an extra layer of battery safety you prefer? No snarkiness intended :thumb: honestly curious why you feel a CDR 35 amp cell is necessary.

Because when you run things that Low, you need a way to Very Accurately measure Ohms. And Mods aren't High End Digital Multi-Meters.

If that 0.15 Ohm measured Build is Really 0.13 or 0.12, well, then I would like to have some Extra CDR in my Battery to take up the Slack.

Also, CDR is based on a Brand New Battery in Good Condition.

Last edited:

entropy1049

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Because when run things that Low, you need a way to Very Accurately measure Ohms. And Mods aren't High End Digital Multi-Meters.

If that 0.15 Ohm measured Build is Really 0.13 or 0.12, well, then I would like to have some Extra CDR in my Battery to take up the Slack.

Gotcha. I use a Kelvin Bridge milliohm meter and sometimes forget the rest of the world does not necessarily. They can be had for less than $100 and go a long way in cultivating peace of mind when building at the threshold. Most multimeters display only to the tenth of an ohm, which for a desired resistance of 0.15 ohm leaves the prudent Vaper no option but to round to 0.2.

I’d strongly encourage any builder to obtain a Kelvin Bridge milliohm meter.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Gotcha. I use a Kelvin Bridge milliohm meter and sometimes forget the rest of the world does not necessarily. They can be had for less than $100 and go a long way in cultivating peace of mind when building at the threshold. Most multimeters display only to the tenth of an ohm, which for a desired resistance of 0.15 ohm leaves the prudent Vaper no option but to round to 0.2.

I’d strongly encourage any builder to obtain a Kelvin Bridge milliohm meter.

Yeah... I would venture to guess that 90%+ of the Members here Don't even have a DMM. And of the 10% who do, Maybe 1/2 of them have ever Measured Resistance with the one they have.

If someone wants to use such a Low Ohm Build, I'd rather see them do it on a Regulated Mod. Of just use a Lower Mass/Thinner Wire build at a slight Higher Ohm if they are going to be on a Mech.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread