Have yet to vape and waiting for my e-roll.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, I sure hope it does. Thanks. :)

Sue's Your Daddy, You are at the same place I was just a few days ago. I decided on my way home from the VA clinic, and after the regular admonishments, to give vaping a try. Had to stop to buy cigarettes, this nearly 50 year old habit told me I had to make the purchase. And I did, as usual, a full carton. But right there by the cash register was a display of e-cigs. An employee noticed my glazed over confusion, and made a recommendation. After taking her advice, and the Blu disposable, out the door to give it a try. Was really thrown for a loop with the results. Since then a Blu starter kit to keep me going until the thrice delayed Halo G6 made it to my mailbox. I've smoked some of the 'analogs' since then, and I just looked it was Thursday, September 26. After smoking a carton a week for most of my life, I still have 7 packs from that carton. I've smoked those 3 packs while rambling around outside, certainly not in the house nor in the car. Figured I'd paid for them and wouldn't waste them. Now, with this G6 in my hand the last three days, I'm looking to trade them for a chicken, or a duck, or maybe even a rabbit. Have friend that runs a farm/roadside market who smokes the same brand. We've bartered before, my peck of green beans for his pullet, and 100 ears of fresh sweet corn for a couple of ducks. But the vaping thing works, and sooner than I thought.

Good luck.

Sundodger

ECF Veteran
Sep 22, 2013
All 57 States
Sue's Your Daddy,
I'm new here, Sept, but my wife and I both 30+ year heavy smokers started a little over a month ago on PV's. She is now on day 6 (her birthday) without an analog. I'm down to 3-5 a day. I smoked non filters 2-3 PAD, so even I am impressed with the results. Right now the problem I'm having is the right flavor. Some taste OK for half a day and then not so good, need to get more flavors to switch around and get off the final few analogs that I am still using.
My breathing has dramatically improved and my wife has cut using her inhaler to once a day. Very little coughing compared to a few weeks ago (years actually) and we both know this can and will work for us.
I'm sure it will work for you also. You may fall a little, just keep experimenting and you will do just fine, don't give up until you give them up!

Sundodger
So new here I'm still stinky.

unknown_shooter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2013
Phoenix AZ
the big thing is to understand that you're in a war, not a battle - you might have to "retreat" & smoke an analog here or there - , you might need a different "weapons system" (different type of juice or ecig).. theres no "right" way to quit a habit that you've developed over many years, and there's no "wrong" way to do it either.. whatever works is what you do..

the only way to fail is to give up & quit trying.

the good news is, it is 100% possible to get off the analogs & still have some comfort with the e-cig.

Cha0s13

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
I think an Eroll is an excellent choice. I vaped and still had a few cigs a day until I got my Eroll. Been smoke free since :) Still like my mods, but driving in the car and at work, I just get better satisfaction from my little old Eroll. Sounds silly, but I guess the cigalike feeling, great vapor, and throat really helped me quit for good.

Sue's Your Daddy, You are at the same place I was just a few days ago. I decided on my way home from the VA clinic, and after the regular admonishments, to give vaping a try. Had to stop to buy cigarettes, this nearly 50 year old habit told me I had to make the purchase. And I did, as usual, a full carton. But right there by the cash register was a display of e-cigs. An employee noticed my glazed over confusion, and made a recommendation. After taking her advice, and the Blu disposable, out the door to give it a try. Was really thrown for a loop with the results. Since then a Blu starter kit to keep me going until the thrice delayed Halo G6 made it to my mailbox. I've smoked some of the 'analogs' since then, and I just looked it was Thursday, September 26. After smoking a carton a week for most of my life, I still have 7 packs from that carton. I've smoked those 3 packs while rambling around outside, certainly not in the house nor in the car. Figured I'd paid for them and wouldn't waste them. Now, with this G6 in my hand the last three days, I'm looking to trade them for a chicken, or a duck, or maybe even a rabbit. Have friend that runs a farm/roadside market who smokes the same brand. We've bartered before, my peck of green beans for his pullet, and 100 ears of fresh sweet corn for a couple of ducks. But the vaping thing works, and sooner than I thought.

Good luck.

Wow, that's amazing. Good for you! Sounds like you're well down the road to no more smokes. And you might even get a chicken out of it. :)

Seanchai

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
Georgia, USA
I smoked a pack a day or so for about 8 years. My mother smoked two packs or more for about 40 years (she's had very short periods of quitting and longer periods of cutting down, but that's the average). We both decided to switch to ecigs after I had a scary hospital admission last month. I was hopeful... mom, having tried all possible quit methods before with no real success (certainly no decrease in the psychological need to smoke), was skeptical. We're four days in. I've not smoked any analogs at all, and mom has had, I think 3 or 4 half-cigarettes in those four days. Every time, she gets about halfway done and says "that's disgusting," and puts it out. It's really amazing how quickly your sense of taste and smell come back when you start vaping. Within a few days, analogs taste and smell as foul as they did when you took your very first puff and wondered why the heck anyone touched one of these things. ;)

Having said that, I will not be disappointed or judgmental if mom can't get off the analogs entirely. (40 years is a long time!) I'm proud of her for coming this far and thrilled that vaping is working so well for her... going from a pack or two a day to less than one cigarette a day is a massive accomplishment worth celebrating.

So, two more experiences for you.

As far as flavors, mom had the same attitude as you... "ewww, I don't want to vape food!" so she started on tobacco flavors. By the third day, her taste buds had revived and now she steals my coffee and cocoa e-liquids. :) She still likes the tobacco ones she started with *okay*, but she likes my foodie/dessert ones more. Something to be aware of... your preferences may (or may not) change when your sense of taste is back to full strength. Neither of us cares for fruit vapes that much, at least not now... I've got a couple that I like, but most of them aren't my thing, and none of them are to mom's liking. In another few months, who knows, one or both of us might change our minds. But for the moment, coffee/chocolate/bakery type stuff are our thing... much as mom was adamant that they wouldn't be hers. ;)

CCC1

Sep 6, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I smoked at least a PAD for 43 years. I ordered a 510 starter kit and never smoked another analog once I started with the e-cigs. But...after one day with the cigalikes I knew that they weren't going to do the trick long term. On day 2 I ordered an ego starter kit and then struggled through the next 2 days with the cigalikes until it arrived. Much better. Then I started to worry that if something happened to one of those egos I'd have no backup - the cigalikes I didn't consider a viable backup - so I ordered an Evod starter kit. All I use now is the Evod and I wish I'd started with it. The cigalike was a pain as the batteries didn't last nearly long enough and I was constantly having to fill up the little cartridges. The ego with a clearomizer was a huge improvement. The Evod is just better than the Ego. I started with tobacco flavoured juice, 18mg. Like you I was worried about going straight to flavours and missing the tobacco. I went 18mg strength which seemed like more nic than what I was actually smoking but I didn't want to be craving it and figured that more was probably better than less. The good news is that it worked :) At around 10 days I got so I absolutely hated the tobacco juice. I had ordered a bottle of flavoured - Kahlua, because I like Kahlua anyway - and by adding that to the tobacco was able to keep vaping it. In the meantime I ordered a bunch of juices. I wish I'd ordered the juices sooner - some of them need to steep to develop flavour and a lot of mine are still too new. I'm ordering new juices once a week and some can be used now and some still need more time. I think they'll all be a lot better given more time but I didn't know that in the beginning. Funny, but I can now vape the tobacco flavour again and enjoy it. I guess it's just that without the analogs your taste buds go through changes.

alisa1970

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2013
Portland, OR
Welcome to ECF. I made the switch at the beginning of January this year along with my Daughter. We have been cigarette free since then. The eRoll will get you started, but might not produce enough vapor to satisfy what you experienced with cigarettes. There are almost unlimited choice of Personal Vaporizers (APV) available. Also a large variety of e-juice, atomizers and tanks! Hope you have as much fun and success as we have had. People on this site are unfailingly available to answer your questions as they arise.

Hi Sue's Your Daddy,

Has it come yet? If it helps at all, I'm another vaper who quit easily with the eRoll. I dipped my toes in with a Blu disposable and although it didn't really help me cut down it did give me a sense that vaping might work. I smoked a pack of Camel filters a day for 30 years and didn't want to quit but wanted something that could be a good alternative.

Got my eRoll kit on a Friday after work, had 2 cigarettes the next Saturday, and by Sunday was pretty much quit. I know of another person on this forum who couldn't quit and had been vaping/smoking for 2 years. The day she got the eRoll, she quit.

Many people here equate eRoll with all the other cig-a-likes out there which have a relatively inconsistent success rate. eRoll is very different, and it vapes JUST like a cigarette. I think you'll be successful.

And BTW, I started with a Pina Colada juice and now I prefer tobaccos and desserts over fruity flavors. :D

the big thing is to understand that you're in a war, not a battle - you might have to "retreat" & smoke an analog here or there - , you might need a different "weapons system" (different type of juice or ecig).. theres no "right" way to quit a habit that you've developed over many years, and there's no "wrong" way to do it either.. whatever works is what you do..

the only way to fail is to give up & quit trying.

the good news is, it is 100% possible to get off the analogs & still have some comfort with the e-cig.

^^^remember this too...

I will say I've had 2 major setbacks, one at 30 days smoke free and one at 52 days smoke free, but if it weren't for some unexpected problems I encountered (not vaping related), I would have stayed quit this entire time. I never went 100% back to smoking, and when I decided it was "safe" for me to get back to vaping exclusively it was really pretty easy. I plan now to be smoke free from now on (knock wood!) and am currently at 30 days without a cigarette.

Last edited:
I smoked a pack a day or so for about 8 years. My mother smoked two packs or more for about 40 years (she's had very short periods of quitting and longer periods of cutting down, but that's the average). We both decided to switch to ecigs after I had a scary hospital admission last month. I was hopeful... mom, having tried all possible quit methods before with no real success (certainly no decrease in the psychological need to smoke), was skeptical. We're four days in. I've not smoked any analogs at all, and mom has had, I think 3 or 4 half-cigarettes in those four days. Every time, she gets about halfway done and says "that's disgusting," and puts it out. It's really amazing how quickly your sense of taste and smell come back when you start vaping. Within a few days, analogs taste and smell as foul as they did when you took your very first puff and wondered why the heck anyone touched one of these things. ;)

Having said that, I will not be disappointed or judgmental if mom can't get off the analogs entirely. (40 years is a long time!) I'm proud of her for coming this far and thrilled that vaping is working so well for her... going from a pack or two a day to less than one cigarette a day is a massive accomplishment worth celebrating.

So, two more experiences for you.

As far as flavors, mom had the same attitude as you... "ewww, I don't want to vape food!" so she started on tobacco flavors. By the third day, her taste buds had revived and now she steals my coffee and cocoa e-liquids. :) She still likes the tobacco ones she started with *okay*, but she likes my foodie/dessert ones more. Something to be aware of... your preferences may (or may not) change when your sense of taste is back to full strength. Neither of us cares for fruit vapes that much, at least not now... I've got a couple that I like, but most of them aren't my thing, and none of them are to mom's liking. In another few months, who knows, one or both of us might change our minds. But for the moment, coffee/chocolate/bakery type stuff are our thing... much as mom was adamant that they wouldn't be hers. ;)

That is amazing. And I hadn't thought about the fact that i have lost so much sense of taste that the analogs would starting tasting disgusting. Thanks for those stories. And I really appreciate that input on the flavours. Again, make so much sense. I like your idea of coffee flavour. That may just be my first non-tobacco flavour. My e-roll just arrived today so I am pretty nervous to try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread