Have you had USPS open your package?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanovapr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2011
Catatonic State, USA
I recently bought some juice from a popular vender, and the box arrived with the tape sliced open. It was very cleanly cut along the seams, and not taped back. This was not gallon jugs or anything unusual, just a couple of 30 ml bottles.

I have purchases shipped to my work. I have not talked to our truck crew, but I know them all. They are busy and don't care. Several of them are smokers that are vaping-curious from being around me, but not enough to open my packages.

This was purchased from a USA vendor, that has a version of the word 'vapor' as it's name. They are an approved ECF vendor. I don't want to mention them, because they are a regular good vendor, and I don't want to cast suspicion on them. I vaguely think I remember that the USPS has the right to open packages for inspection, or at least remember seeing labels that say something to that effect long ago.

I am unhappy about this, but don't know who to complain to, or if it would make any difference, or if I should. Fortunately the contents were not loose, and everything was there. There was some discussion a while back, about what would happen if a poorly packaged juice order was leaking, got inspected, and the ANTZ started complaining about us "shipping poison".

My bottles were well-wrapped in shrink-wrapped bubble wrap that did not appear to have been opened. Have any of the USA users had an experience like this?

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
Good idea, CrippledB. I examined it under light closely, there are no signs of re-taping. The box was not damaged or crunched in any way. I will ask them do this this on my next order.

Could be unrelated to juice or anything but I'd send them an email to let them know just in case. It kinda makes you paranoid.

calico21

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 2, 2011
next to a corn field,IL
Although I haven't had it happen, I worked for them for a short time. Yes they can inspect anything. Although I thought they had to mark that it had been opened for inspection. I would definitely inform your postmaster! It is illegal for just anyone in the P.O. to do that. There is a process!

nanovapr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2011
Catatonic State, USA
An update: I spoke with our truck crew, they didn't remember it specifically, it comes in a big loaded gaylord from USPS. They agreed that USPS should have re-taped.

I spoke with the vendor, they said they do not have red Sharpies (there was a red checkmark on their mailing label). The vendor very graciously offered to re-send my complete order if I was afraid of tampering. I declined, no need to take advantage of a great vendor. I would still rather not name the vendor here, I don't want to cast any blame their way at all. If you want to know, please PM me.

Dicot

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2011
Chicago Suburbs
I have had one of those flat rate boxes come to my mailbox opened and sloppily taped back up. They basically ripped the sticky flap in half trying to open it, so I assumed only usps would do something so half-assed.:facepalm:

Everything was fine inside so I didn't mention anything, wasn't a big deal. I'd be a little irked too if it came opened and un-taped though.

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
USPS has the right to inspect any package .. if the sender is suspected of sending any hazardous material, the package will get inspected .. liquids are always suspect .. from USPS website ..

The Postal Service's™ definition of a hazardous material includes many common household and consumer products. They may not be dangerous on your shelf at home, but they can become a hazard when shaken or when the temperature or pressure changes.

Some common hazardous materials include…
•Perfumes
•Nail polish
•Flea collars or flea sprays
•Aerosols
•Bleach
•Pool chemicals
•Paints
•Matches
•Batteries
•Fuels or gasoline
•Airbags
•Dry ice
•Mercury thermometers
•Cleaning supplies
•Items previously containing fuel
•Glues
•Fireworks

Jibba73

ECF Veteran
My kit came in a USPS envelope. The pull tab was removed and the package was heavily re-taped with USPS tape. There was also a Red check on the shipping label... At first I thought it was a hack job re-package from the supplier, and that they re-opened the envelope to add something... Now I think I had the same treatment you speak of.

calico21

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 2, 2011
next to a corn field,IL
The pull tab was removed and the package was heavily re-taped with USPS tape. There was also a Red check on the shipping label...
This is what is supposed to be done, the OP said she didn't have the tape so it may have just been an employee so it should still have been brought to the post masters attention that if it was them they did not follow procedure. Tampering with the mail is a federal offense and they will send an investigator to the processing areas.

nanovapr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2011
Catatonic State, USA
I am kind of torn about it. Since much of vaping seems to be controversial among non-smokers, in many ways I don't want to rock the boat. I don't care that it was examined as much as the fact that it got on it's way with the flaps cut.

I don't know how anonymous the process is. If I can just tell them I had a package that was sent on open, I'm fine with someone checking it out at the local USPS. My order was not valuable by a long shot (unless I had been out of juice....).

If I complain, and they ask me specifics as to what it was, I don't want the local employees ...... off about vapers as a category. "Here's one of those addicts' boxes. Let's just poke a hole in it, and call the EPA to clean up the spill. Maybe we can get the rest of the afternoon off". I am joking, but I want the rest of the world to be well-informed about our vaping.

jibba73, interesting that you had a red checkmark on the label as well.

calico21

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 2, 2011
next to a corn field,IL
Yes you can just call and tell them that, just say it what you feel comfortable with. I made the mistake once of accepting titanium dioxide for free from some one on-line and forgot about the "white powder" rule. They were a bit antsy when I asked but it's their safety and ours they're looking out for. I live in a small town and they know all the soap supplies I get and questions I ask so who knows what reaction you'll get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread