Have you had USPS open your package?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScooterGirl

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2011
CT
From the USPS site:

"First-Class® letters and parcels and Express Mail® are protected against search and seizure under the Fourth Amendment to the Constitution, and, as such, cannot be opened without a search warrant.

If there is probable cause to believe the contents of a First-Class Mail letter or parcel or an Express Mail piece violate federal law, Postal Inspectors can obtain a search warrant to open the mailpiece. Other classes of mail do not contain private correspondence, and therefore may be opened without a warrant."

They don't say whether or not you would be notified if they obtained a warrant to open your mail. If it were me I'd go to the post office with the package and politely, but firmly, demand some answers. After all, there was little, if any, reason to believe your package violated federal law since a quick search of the company name would reveal that they are not shipping anything that is illegal to ship through the USPS.

Last edited:

Jibba73

ECF Veteran
jibba73, interesting that you had a red checkmark on the label as well.

I'm just wondering if when it gets set aside by the post office for inspection, that when they check the contents and decide to pass it along, it gets a check mark to let any other sort facility along the way know that it has been checked once already...?

And we just happened to get people with red sharpies... or maybe that's the required color to use by the USPS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread