Status
Not open for further replies.

tnt56

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2012
Tripple digits half way to home
I’ve been away from vaping for about 7 yrs. I don’t have any of my old equipment, which now I miss very much. I’ve been trying to get back to vaping for health reasons, and having to learn all over again. Everything is dual coil. I NEVER used dual coil, but I’m trying to learn. I got a Vaporesso PM40, a Drag S a hcigar vt inbox and a POS squonker that I’m using for a dripper (reviews said they leak and short out causing me to fire by their self. I joy cappo squonk box).
Do I figure dual coil watts and amps like I did my single coil builds. I never got into the low sub-ohm thing. Maybe 0.9-1 ohm.
It’s good to be back in ECF again.

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
I didn't take a 7-year break from vaping. Not everything available is dual coils.
I was going to say pretty much what SlowTalker said. Dual coils halve resistance. If you don't want to go too low, begin with higher resistance coils, or see if you can go with a single even though your rebuildable supports two.
Welcome back!

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I’ve been away from vaping for about 7 yrs. I don’t have any of my old equipment, which now I miss very much. I’ve been trying to get back to vaping for health reasons, and having to learn all over again. Everything is dual coil. I NEVER used dual coil, but I’m trying to learn. I got a Vaporesso PM40, a Drag S a hcigar vt inbox and a POS squonker that I’m using for a dripper (reviews said they leak and short out causing me to fire by their self. I joy cappo squonk box).
    Do I figure dual coil watts and amps like I did my single coil builds. I never got into the low sub-ohm thing. Maybe 0.9-1 ohm.

There's plenty of single coil RDAs and RTAs available. Are you MTL, restricted direct lung or direct lung?

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    I prefer MTL.

For an RDA I like the vapefly galaxies, it can be a more restricted MTL or you can remove a screw for a little more airflow..

I also like the KRMA a lot. A real flavor chaser that one - it's on sale half off at Mission XV

KRMA RDA » MISSION XV

The galaxies is less expensive, but I think you have to order it from FastTech atm...

There are some various knock offs that can be tried if you order from them... @AngeNZ has more RDA's I think, I bought about 10 and settled on those two as my favorites, but she bought a couple I never tried but should have.. just can't remember the names atm.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada

Hey @tnt56, and welcome back :)

Yup, things have changed a lot over the last 7 years! One of them is that you don't have to worry about ohms any more in regulated mods, unless you're running a coil(s) at lower than what your mod will handle in which case it will simply not fire it. Most will go down to 0.1 ohm safely these days and I have a few that go down to 0.05, so there's a lot of room between what most people use and what the mod is capable of. Mech mods still of course require an understanding of ohms and amp draw to make sure your build will not pull too many amps from your battery. Also, stainless steel coils are popular now and they are significantly lower in ohms than Kanthal is for the same size wire.

I don't have any of the setups you have so I can't comment on them. I use a variety of regular and squonk mods that are 'only' up to about 5 years old in my regular rotation. All my current atties take single coils, be they rebuiladable tanks or rda's and I run then between about 7 and 15 watts. Then again, I also have a box for the 'vapeocalipse' of older mods and atties set aside just in case. Never tried a pod mod.

There are a lot of single coil atties on the market now (both in rebuildables and ones that take heads or pods), but in the US you have to be aware of and handle the new shipping regulations if you want to mail order them.

Bets of luck with it all :thumb:

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    I really don’t understand restricted direct lung. The MTL and DL. I understand.

Restricted DL is sorta half way between MTL and DL. I vape at low watts, 7 - 8 mostly but up to about 15 sometimes, and use atties that allow me to direct lung inhale them all, but are restricted enough so I still get a bit of restriction at the slower inhales I do.

Hope that makes some sense :)

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    I also like the KRMA a lot. A real flavor chaser that one - it's on sale half off at Mission XV

KRMA RDA » MISSION XV
    I luv my KRMA. Mission also has their Daywon RDA for half price. For flavor the Daywon is right there with the KRMA. It's also a single coil. The airflow is more restricted than the KRMA. It comes with squonk and blind pins.

DAYWON RDA » MISSION XV

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    RDL (restricted direct lung) is just a tighter DL. Loose enough for DL but not tight enough for MTL.

If you want a 1 ohm resistance on a dual coil atty, you need to build 2 coils, both at 2 ohms each. That would give you 1 ohm.

If the PM40 pod system suits your needs for the moment, and you have access to the coils for it, maybe you should just stick with that as your main vape while you figure things out. That would make things less stressful IMHO.

Last edited:

Shadav

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 4, 2013
    Westfield, IN, USA
    thehelpline.info
    eh yeah that cappo squonker is a pos, I have one and it's just meh like overpowered...even at 10w it's entirely too hot of a vape for me...

I feel you, when I was looking for an rda years ago there was nothing for mtl single coil....now there's quite a few but I've gotten used to dl with 810 drip tips so oh well...

that said almost any dual coil rda can be used as a single coil rda (most come with or offer separately a piece that goes inside to block off one side)

the galaxies mtl rdta is a really good one
    but I like my profile with mesh strip, though it's not really a mtl rda, you can block off the airholes or open them up, whatever your preference is. it also uses regular coils if you don't want to use mesh, but for me with the mesh is the best flavor I've found so far.

if you really want a squonk mod then the topside is a good one (sorry I can't help more as I use dual battery mods cause I will kill a single battery in a heartbeat)

• Love
    Reactions: Opinionated

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    I luv my KRMA. Mission also has their Daywon RDA for half price. For flavor the Daywon is right there with the KRMA. It's also a single coil. The airflow is more restricted than the KRMA. It comes with squonk and blind pins.

DAYWON RDA » MISSION XV

I haven't read any reviews so I didn't know which direction that Daywon went, good to know it's a bit tighter.

Reactions: ShowMeTwice

tnt56

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 30, 2012
    Tripple digits half way to home
    Guess I’ll rebuild my dead rabbit tomorrow. The Goat uses pre built coils but did come with an extra that you can build yourself. It’ll keep me busy tomorrow. The other two RSA’s are cheap junk. Post don’t sit right for single coils. I’ve been trying to do DL hits this evening. Heck I’ll try anything once. Maybe twice if I like it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread