Status
Not open for further replies.

NicotineRush

Linux Mint/Mate
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2008
Living 'Off Grid'
Unless the device has some method of communicating back to the corporate mothership (and Bluetooth alone is not sufficient to accomplish that) this isn't much of a worry.

FWIW, Evolv does the same thing with their newer dna chipsets. If you connect your dna mod to your computer on which you've installed their Escribe software and you haven't de-selected a certain option, Evolv's server gets data regarding your use of the device.

Would just have to be near a wifi signal.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Would just have to be near a wifi signal.
Nope. Bluetooth and WiFi do not inter-operate. In order for the IQOS device to be able to "phone home", you would have to pair its Bluetooth connection to some other device that has internet connectivity such as a phone or computer.

NicotineRush

Linux Mint/Mate
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2008
Living 'Off Grid'
Guess I should have elaborated. Although PM says they only have BT capability currently, this does not mean that this, or for that matter, any other device, wont have wifi capability in the future. Frankly, in this day and age, I wouldn't put it past them to already have wifi integrated. (my tinfoil hat is showing!)

Anyway, I didn't mean to change the direction of this thread.

Reactions: stols001

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Frankly, in this day and age, I wouldn't put it past them to already have wifi integrated. (my tinfoil hat is showing!)
They wouldn't be able to hide WIFi capabilities that are already integrated. If a device sold in the US has a radio transmitter of any kind, it's required to have a FCC ID on it, and anyone can look up the details of the device's capabilities using that ID.

Could they add WiFi in future models? Sure. But again, they wouldn't be able to hide it.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Last edited:

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Guess I should have elaborated. Although PM says they only have BT capability currently, this does not mean that this, or for that matter, any other device, wont have wifi capability in the future. Frankly, in this day and age, I wouldn't put it past them to already have wifi integrated. (my tinfoil hat is showing!)

Even if they did have wifi networking built in, when was the last time you were near a wifi signal that did NOT require a password/key to access? Which means you would have to know it was connecting.

Reactions: stols001

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Even if they did have wifi networking built in, when was the last time you were near a wifi signal that did NOT require a password/key to access? Which means you would have to know it was connecting.
I have one at my house that's wide open. The SSID is 'Honeypot'. :laugh:

• Agree
Reactions: Izan

NicotineRush

Linux Mint/Mate
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2008
Living 'Off Grid'
tinfoil-01.png

Reactions: Rossum

chgrbt

Jun 15, 2018
I've read a lot on this forum. Everyone's entitled to their opinion... here's mine. These are just my experiences and thoughts, I'm not looking to debate or win an argument, so don't flame.

I'm up here in Toronto, had been a cigarette smoker for decades averaging 8 a day. I never tried vaping but I tried the IQOS device and IQOS HEETs tobacco sticks last August. I stopped cigarettes immediately and have stayed with the IQOS since. Tried a cigarette once over Christmas holidays and didn't like it.

Yes it's about the same cost, but I'm a believer that it's better than smoking cigarettes and hey, I don't drink Starbucks so I can spend my spare cash on HEETs. Lungs felt better and clear after a couple of weeks on IQOS. I like the similar feel to cigarettes, throat hit, nicotine, taste etc. With IQOS i dont notice the lingering smell that comes with cigarette smoking. Cleaning the holder and heat blade once a week has worked well and is really not a hassle. I go through about 8 HEET sticks a day. I've exchanged my original device once at no cost because of a charging issue, and the company was very responsive.

I actually feel better that the IQOS and HEETS are from a big tobacco company. To me it's a little like buying a known brand rather than the knock offs. I also don't think they can afford another huge deception with all the lawsuits and settlements. Hopefully I haven't misplaced my trust. I'll continue to follow the breaking news and research.

I'd recommend IQOS to any cigarette smoker as a trial alternative. To each his/her own...it works for me.

chgrbt

Jun 15, 2018
I've read a lot on this forum. Everyone's entitled to their opinion... here's mine. These are just my experiences and thoughts, I'm not looking to debate or win an argument, so don't flame.

I'm up here in Toronto, had been a cigarette smoker for decades averaging 8 a day. I never tried vaping but I tried the IQOS device and IQOS HEETs tobacco sticks last August. I stopped cigarettes immediately and have stayed with the IQOS since. Tried a cigarette once over Christmas holidays and didn't like it.

Yes it's about the same cost, but I'm a believer that it's better than smoking cigarettes and hey, I don't drink Starbucks so I can spend my spare cash on HEETs. Lungs felt better and clear after a couple of weeks on IQOS. I like the similar feel to cigarettes, throat hit, nicotine, taste etc. With IQOS i dont notice the lingering smell that comes with cigarette smoking. Cleaning the holder and heat blade once a week has worked well and is really not a hassle. I go through about 8 HEET sticks a day. I've exchanged my original device once at no cost because of a charging issue, and the company was very responsive.

I actually feel better that the IQOS and HEETS are from a big tobacco company. To me it's a little like buying a known brand rather than the knock offs. I also don't think they can afford another huge deception with all the lawsuits and settlements. Hopefully I haven't misplaced my trust. I'll continue to follow the breaking news and research.

I'd recommend IQOS to any cigarette smoker as a trial alternative. To each his/her own...it works for me.

Update, Aug 31, 2018
Still very happy to be off cigarettes. However I don't know how I missed this before, but recently, the potential risk of liver toxicity from use of IQOS came to my attention. Sure, there are lost of other things that contribute to liver toxicity, but I don't want to be using something that is highly toxic. Will look into this more but if anyone reading this has some info on this I'd appreciate a post. Thx

rosesense

14 years and counting
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    Seem to remember an article, long since scrubbed (no really) from the internet in which PM estimated it would control some 90% of the ecig market by 2030 or thereabouts. I'm afraid I didn't hard copy it never imagining that we would see the kind of censorship we are seeing across all media today. It may even have been penned by somebody we know. Anyway…

The original vape post as I recall and found here, is also scrubbed.

Phillip Morris: The Devil In The Details?

This link to me is dead on every browser and a the return search on the domain returns a dead link listing as well. Research anything PM and you will get nothing but carefully managed position and this essay thoroughly gone.

But the above and this article already encapsulated pretty much what I understood after monitoring BP/gov for many years and the likely prospects for the ecig community as I pondered quitting in May 2013.

There is no end game for us…unless we make it, IMO. Not from Trump, industry, China, vape retailers, etc., etc. I'm doubtful that any will come through to try to conserve what little remains of vaping's might have been. At least that was my conclusion, that the door would be shut and hard, given how the TCA had been let to stand. I've seen little since leading me to consider otherwise.

Change can come, I'd still like to believe, with a lot more noise from the real stakeholders. There's just too many willing to say please don't hurt me when don't step on my foot would suffice.

Good luck all. :)

p.s. If anyone has a hard save of the above mentioned article, I'd appreciate if you'd be so kind as to PM me with it for my rec's (my Murphy, no txt save).

I am sure you have seen this but links in the article are rather interesting and shows what PM has been working on for several years.
    Reframing for 'redemption' the Phillip Morris International’s Foundation, for a Smoke-Free world

Tobacco companies wont get another cent from me.
    :)

I was blown away when I heard what BT told the 'winston man' during meetings when he asked why they didn't smoke. If I had not already quit smoking, I would have done so from their comment alone. I will never give them another cent.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread