• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

hello from a christian vaper

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireDragon1138

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2014
Orlando, Florida
I've been posting on the forums a while on the general discussion and a few other places, but never posted here... until now, so this is my first.

I'm a Christian, though just barely. I started going to church again in my early 30's, a Continuing Anglican church near where I lived. I thought about converting to Eastern Orthodoxy and spent years as a catechumen (literally a student), but that didn't work out, and was heartbreaking (the priest and I parted on good terms, but he thougth in my best interest to not convert). I've attended Episcopalian services off and on the past 4 years, and the past six months I've visited an Independent Catholic church several times. I haven't figured out which to go to yet, both seem to have their advantages. I have adult autism and I'm disabled (low vision, lost my license 2 years ago), and I find church life difficult under any circumstances. I really do like liturgical worship, though, and rote prayer rules, like the Book of Common Prayer, chanting the Psalms, and so on. As an Orthodox catechumen I had a prayer rope and practiced the Jesus prayer in front of icons and candles, besides frequently reading the Bible.

The past three years has been very rough, and in the past four months I just flirted with unbelief and my faith was a shambles and good habits I had went away and I picked up some bad ones. I took up smoking again around Christmas, but I also started vaping around the same time (weird huh?). I've gradually started vaping more. I'm in a long term relationship and have a domestic partnership (we both are disabled so we haven't really married, we aren't sure of the legal issues around it as we both get government benefits), but otherwise we live as husband and wife, and in the end that was one obstacle to joining the Orthodox church (though not unsurmountable, it would just be "odd"). I tend to be relatively liberal as a Christian (in terms of what you find in America) but that doesn't mean I have always been lukewarm.

I'm not sure how I'll get through a full church service without vaping. The IC church, Holy Angels, has a short service (50 minutes), so I never really have to worry about things. But the Episcopal churches are usually an hour and forty minutes, probably too long to go without a cig or a vape. So far I've just visited the evening service which is 40 minutes, but I really did used to enjoy the long services... when I was a non-smoker.

At an Orthodox service, it's like a temple and people walk in and out all the time to smoke, by the way. Yeah, it's not the best thing spiritually but people do it and nobody bats an eye, especially those Russian immigrants.

Last edited:

Saintscruiser

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Mississippi
Welcome to the this part of the board, FireD! We always enjoy new people from all walks of life and you are most welcome here! :)

It sounds like you have a dilema and we are here to help and support you. I too am disabled and haven't been able to get to church in years, but not because of smoking or vaping. I'm crippled up with fibromyalgia and many other auto-immune problems. I've dealt with them for 21 years at the end of this month. Now what I would probably do, and this is just me talking, is sit in the back of the church and slip out to the bathroom and vape for a few minutes. That should work for your cravings. I have a bladder disability and used to have to get up and head to the ladies room in the middle of a service. I let my pastor know what was happening to me and why. Sitting in the back doesn't disrupt the service if you have to get up for any reason. I would also ask the Lord to curb your cravings. I used to be the same way with cigarettes and couldn't wait to get to the car and smoke after the service. This discipline can be worked on and worked out. Don't allow satan to rob you of your joyfulness you receive from going to church. Lay this problem at the foot of the cross and allow Jesus to help you with it. He loves you and cares for you. He understands your strengths and limitations! He already knows your heart. Allow Him to help you. Ask Him for this help. Don't be embarrassed or shy. If you're having a problem, He experiences it with you. It's that simple. There is not one problem He won't help you with. 'Ye have not because ye ask not."

As far as which church to attend, once again, ask the Lord. He will tell you! In the first chapter of James states to ask God for wisdom and He will give it to you in abundance! He may answer in a small still voice, you may read a Scripture or someone who is Godly will offer help. I always go to the Source to find out information. You may/may not like the answer, but you will receive an answer. You don't know what wonderful things God has waiting for you if you only trust Him! Situations like this will bring you closer to Him. He wants you to walk close to Him, depend on Him, love Him, Praise Him, and above all, obey Him. Why? Because He has your best interest at heart and only wants good things for you. What I do is ask the Lord to hit me upside the head so I'll know the answer when He gives it!!! He is faithful and true!

Two Scriptures come to mind: "Acknowledge Him in all thy ways and He shall direct your path!" and "Ye have not because ye ask not." :)

FireDragon1138

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2014
Orlando, Florida
Fibromyalgia... I've delt with that too. A positive thing I can say about smoking is that it did take away a lot of the fibro pain, maybe a coincidence. It hasn't really returned.

I don't have a particularly favorite Bible verse but I do like reading the Old Testament stories. My favorite is the one about Joseph in Genesis.

My favorite Psalms are Psalm 91 or 103.

I don't feel too ashamed to be a smoker or vaper and be a Christian... the particular traditions I'm familiar with don't always regard smoking as sinful, so that's not a real issue for me.

Last edited:

Saintscruiser

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Mississippi
Fibromyalgia... I've delt with that too. A positive thing I can say about smoking is that it did take away a lot of the fibro pain, maybe a coincidence. It hasn't really returned.

I don't have a particularly favorite Bible verse but I do like reading the Old Testament stories. My favorite is the one about Joseph in Genesis.

My favorite Psalms are Psalm 91 or 103.

I don't feel too ashamed to be a smoker or vaper and be a Christian... the particular traditions I'm familiar with don't always regard smoking as sinful, so that's not a real issue for me.

I hope I didn't make you feel as if smoking was sinful....heavens to mercatroid! That's the last thing I would want you to feel! I quit tobacco as my smoking was out of control and I watched my mom die from lung cancer. Even after that, it took me 8 months to get an e-cig. Smoking is a choice everyone makes. I don't 'condemn' anyone who smokes. Been there done that have a full set of mugs and a closet full of t-shirts. If you choose to smoke, then smoke. If you choose to vape, do that. If you choose to do both, do it. I smoked 42 years and felt doomed to wind up like my mom. I have all kinds of burns on the carpet on my side of the bed and had become dangerous. I leave those burn spots there to remind me. I'm the last person to give advice on that. I was coughing so bad and was starting to sound like my mom when she coughed. That unnerved me. I finally prayed for help. I had never done that. I'm not saying that I didn't have moments of weakness, because I did. My husband helped me with that. He'd quit cold turkey. I'm not wired like that. So when I felt weak, I would say, "I choose not to smoke.!" I did it for health reasons.

This room gives us an avenue to exchange ideas, ask for prayer, and just be there for each other. We don't stray from the Bible as it is God's way of talking to us, teaching us, and molding us. We would love to have you join us in fellowship! Just jump in and start posting like you've already done! :)

blondeambition3

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
FL, USA
blondeambition3.wix.com
I've been posting on the forums a while on the general discussion and a few other places, but never posted here... until now, so this is my first.

I'm a Christian, though just barely. I started going to church again in my early 30's, a Continuing Anglican church near where I lived. I thought about converting to Eastern Orthodoxy and spent years as a catechumen (literally a student), but that didn't work out, and was heartbreaking (the priest and I parted on good terms, but he thougth in my best interest to not convert). I've attended Episcopalian services off and on the past 4 years, and the past six months I've visited an Independent Catholic church several times. I haven't figured out which to go to yet, both seem to have their advantages. I have adult autism and I'm disabled (low vision, lost my license 2 years ago), and I find church life difficult under any circumstances. I really do like liturgical worship, though, and rote prayer rules, like the Book of Common Prayer, chanting the Psalms, and so on. As an Orthodox catechumen I had a prayer rope and practiced the Jesus prayer in front of icons and candles, besides frequently reading the Bible.

The past three years has been very rough, and in the past four months I just flirted with unbelief and my faith was a shambles and good habits I had went away and I picked up some bad ones. I took up smoking again around Christmas, but I also started vaping around the same time (weird huh?). I've gradually started vaping more. I'm in a long term relationship and have a domestic partnership (we both are disabled so we haven't really married, we aren't sure of the legal issues around it as we both get government benefits), but otherwise we live as husband and wife, and in the end that was one obstacle to joining the Orthodox church (though not unsurmountable, it would just be "odd"). I tend to be relatively liberal as a Christian (in terms of what you find in America) but that doesn't mean I have always been lukewarm.

I'm not sure how I'll get through a full church service without vaping. The IC church, Holy Angels, has a short service (50 minutes), so I never really have to worry about things. But the Episcopal churches are usually an hour and forty minutes, probably too long to go without a cig or a vape. So far I've just visited the evening service which is 40 minutes, but I really did used to enjoy the long services... when I was a non-smoker.

At an Orthodox service, it's like a temple and people walk in and out all the time to smoke, by the way. Yeah, it's not the best thing spiritually but people do it and nobody bats an eye, especially those Russian immigrants.

Welcome to CV FireDragon! :thumbs:

Keep Vaping.... you'll make it cig free in no time. ;)

FireDragon1138

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2014
Orlando, Florida
Saintscruiser, you may not have read any of my posts but I have read a few of yours!

I don't really belong to a particular church... yet, though I have attended many. I'm in a mushy middle between Protestantism and Catholicism, so not coincidentally in the past I read a great deal of C.S. Lewis, and this past few weeks I've been revisiting some more of his writings. That suits me as I am an egghead.

Saintscruiser

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Mississippi
Saintscruiser, you may not have read any of my posts but I have read a few of yours!

I don't really belong to a particular church... yet, though I have attended many. I'm in a mushy middle between Protestantism and Catholicism, so not coincidentally in the past I read a great deal of C.S. Lewis, and this past few weeks I've been revisiting some more of his writings. That suits me as I am an egghead.

Now is that in a good way or a bad one? :laugh:

mightymen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Nov 22, 2012
    No you can't
    I've always wondered if Christians with maladies have prayed and asked to be cured. Or by extent, their family praying for them to be cured. When does Matthew 21:21 not apply?

Matthew 21
    20 And when the disciples saw it, they marvelled, saying, How soon is the fig tree withered away!

21 Jesus answered and said unto them, Verily I say unto you, If ye have faith, and doubt not, ye shall not only do this which is done to the fig tree, but also if ye shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; it shall be done.

22 And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.

I can tell you what I prayed for and believed. In 2009 I was told I had cancer stage 3, which is very bad. I searched out Scripture and put it in to action, I prayed and believed and now it's five years later, I'm still here. There are many other times that my prayers have been answered, it takes faith and trust in God that God will answer our prayers.

There's a verse in the Bible that Paul said

2 Corinthians 12:7
    or because of these surpassingly great revelations. Therefore, in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me.2 Corinthians 12:7 or because of these surpassingly great revelations. Therefore, in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me.

danfinger

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 29, 2014
    Virgo Super Cluster
    In 2009 I was told I had cancer stage 3, which is very bad.

Aside from prayer, did you get any other intervention? Chemo/Pharmaceuticals? Surgery?

Still curious about when Matthew 21-22 (thanks for the correction) doesn't apply. Will a true believer's prayer not defeat satan's 'thorns'?

Happy to hear you pulled through. Living beats the alternative IMO!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread