help an old vaper out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

unquiet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 14, 2013
Philly
Not new to vaping or the forum, but I seem to be in need of a refresh! Posted here years back when I first started vaping, then drifted away.

My habits haven't changed much since then, but the vape world clearly has! For the most part, I've kept with the basic ego-type VV batteries, cheap tanks, and my HHV liquid (mostly but not exclusively NETs), and it's all good and well, but I've become increasingly aware of how out-of-the-loop I am.

If anyone can point to resources that could help me catch up quick, I'd be very thankful. Or just your own summary of non-DIY latest and greatest?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I agree with @Rossum, if what you are using still works and you still find it to be satisfactory, no need to move on.

However, a lot of older gear is progressively becoming harder to find. Cartomizers and cartotanks are nearly a thing of the past. First generation clearomizers and VV eGo batteries can still be found if you look hard enough, but the day will soon come when they too will be a thing of the past.

The current trend in vape gear seems to be variable wattage regulated mods, or the newer "Pod" mods replacing eGo battery setups. The variable wattage mods (using the larger li-on batteries) give the user more vaping power to make larger volumes of vapor and much longer vaping time between battery charging. Some folks are using unregulated mechanical mods (no electrical chipset and no protection circuitry), but considered as a whole I consider them to be a large "niche" subgroup.

Modern day clearomizers have come a long way technology-wise. For those looking to dive in deeper into the hobby, "rebuildable" juice attachments (making your own coils and wicks) are also popular today.

In my signature below, you can find a link to my blogs. I wrote these for beginner and intermediate level vapers as an information resource. That may help you get back onto the fast track.

Last edited:

Lishamau5

Aug 31, 2018
Not new to vaping or the forum, but I seem to be in need of a refresh! Posted here years back when I first started vaping, then drifted away.

My habits haven't changed much since then, but the vape world clearly has! For the most part, I've kept with the basic ego-type VV batteries, cheap tanks, and my HHV liquid (mostly but not exclusively NETs), and it's all good and well, but I've become increasingly aware of how out-of-the-loop I am.

If anyone can point to resources that could help me catch up quick, I'd be very thankful. Or just your own summary of non-DIY latest and greatest?

I've found that my smaller units have bored me out a while ago. Ended up getting a 2 battery set up. I have multiple 21700 batteries to go with it. I've got a wall charger that allows the charging of up to two batteries at a time. This helps assure I've got a spare set.
The tank I have been using for the last while has been a Falcon. It works amazing. The coils only seem to last me a couple days, until I desire to change them. Often, if they aren't burnt real crazy, I soak them in isopropyl alcohol. Usually 99% does the best job. A great rinse with water and an over night/ all day dry and they are good.
As for the juices, I switched down to 3mg. I die less if I take a good haul or so. Yeah, a few extra puffs are needed to get a fix. However I get that fix more efficiently in a pleasant manner.
I find the mod you use helps your experience drastically.

unquiet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 14, 2013
Philly
If what you've been doing has kept you from smoking for ~5 years now, why do you feel the need to "catch up"?

I'm vaping stuff that's 3-4 years old and feel no such need. :)

1-I don't necessarily feel the need to change what I'm doing. But I'd still like to 'catch up' my knowledge-base ;)

2-Also this:
However, a lot of older gear is progressively becoming harder to find. Cartomizers and cartotanks are nearly a thing of the past. First generation clearomizers and VV eGo batteries can still be found if you look hard enough, but the day will soon come when they too will be a thing of the past.

I have definitely found it increasingly challenging to replenish my supplies, so it's a good time to see what else is out there.

Thanks for the info, it looks like it will be helpful!

theinlawjosie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2013
The Bluegrass State
Welcome back unquiet! I've also been away from the forums for quite a while - this is my first contribution in I don't know how long. Like you, I've continued vaping and while I still lean pretty heavily on some of my old favorites, I've tried with minimal effort to keep up with the world of vaping and usually buy a new mod or rda every couple of months or so.

I would recommend visiting one of the reputable 'one stop shops' online (I personally like Element Vape quite a bit) and digging a little further into anything that might pique your interest. You can read product descriptions and reviews - and some of the items will have videos embedded in the description. If the website doesn't give enough information itself, you can always head over to YouTube and get a plethora of information!

BTW, I used to LOVE HHV but haven't placed an order from them in loooong time - I think it might be time to remedy that. Thanks for the reminder! :toast:

Last edited:

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I have definitely found it increasingly challenging to replenish my supplies, so it's a good time to see what else is out there.

If you're still wanting some more of your older gear, maybe to use as familiar backups, as you checkout some newer stuff...post what you've been using. I like the challenge of "the hunt", and can usually find illusive older vaping things and at decent prices most times.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
That's a problem I haven't had with my 3-4 year old gear, because it's all "Will last a lifetime" stuff. The only thing I will ever need to replenish is some 18650 batteries. If you buy today's "latest and greatest" you may very well be in the same boat of finding it hard to replenish again in a few years.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
I learned to rebuild and stocked up on my fav older tank for that but finding parts is hit and miss now. But I stocked up on a lot of older things even cartos and carto tanks LOL So I have plenty of stock and many provaris to last a lifetime but added some Pico's & Reo's to my stash too. I tried several POD's and Yuck hated them so sticking with tried and true works for me. Have fun searching tho, that is always fun! I have been vaping for 7 yrs, so been thru so many different products.

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
I've been vaping for 7 1/2 years. I've gone through a lot of setups over the years. I still have lots of cartos and tanks, Kayfuns, and Provaris. But, I kept on experimenting and stocking. It's hard to resist when you hang around ECF so much.

The biggest surprise was the Ego One tank with CLR coils. I only tried them because I was trying to find a drop in coil that my brother might like. And, surprise, surprise! They're by far the best drop in coils I've ever tried. I'm stocked up on those too now.

There may still be more experiments in the future. Who knows?

Just hang around ECF for a while. The Tootle Puffer thread has helped tremendously. If you're still using old style gear, you're probably a Tootle Puffer and might get some really good ideas from there.

unquiet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 14, 2013
Philly
Thanks all for your ideas. Lots to check out!

My one problem with equipment is that I break *everything*. Not just vape stuff, but everything. Half the time I don't even know how. For example, there was a box mod I liked years ago, can't even remember what it was now, but while others were impressed with how sturdy it was, I managed to break 3 in 6 months...what can I say, it's a gift. :rolleyes::p That's a big reason why I've since stuck to cheap but user-friendly stuff that I can essentially treat as 'disposable'.

Janusz

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2018
Illinois, USA
Thanks all for your ideas. Lots to check out!

My one problem with equipment is that I break *everything*. Not just vape stuff, but everything. Half the time I don't even know how. For example, there was a box mod I liked years ago, can't even remember what it was now, but while others were impressed with how sturdy it was, I managed to break 3 in 6 months...what can I say, it's a gift. :rolleyes::p That's a big reason why I've since stuck to cheap but user-friendly stuff that I can essentially treat as 'disposable'.

For the mod I recommend Aegis... you will have hard time to break it... you can drop it from your pocket... you can drop it into bucket of water and it will still work...Aegis, is waterproof and shock proof holds great in hand.. and looks handsome... see below:

aegisuwell.jpg

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I will second the Legend and the Ages. I can break many things, durability is at the top of my list. I'm always shocked I have as much vape gear as I have, but I really do look for "durability" above all else. Oddly I haven't even DROPPED my Legend yet, but I think I COULD. It just has such great handfeel, it's hard to drop.

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread