Help...boiled carts not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamvector

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2010
Wisconsin
I have noticed in the premo cartos that the filling is packed in there VERY tightly. I use a syringe to refill and it sometimes takes quite an effort to get a regular (not dulled) syringe into the filling.

I see some folks mentioning that they fluff up the filling--how do you do this without damaging the wiring, especally when the filling is wrapped so darned tightly around the center post?

I use an air compressor, others use hairdryers, others "fluff" with a sharp object such as the syringe needle during filling (which is what I used to do). Regarding not drying them out before refilling, fine, each to his own. Keep in mind that the juice is a glycerin base which does not readily oxidize the metal parts in the cart (primarily the heating coil); water will, especially when you take wet carts, refill with juice, then cap and let sit for extended periods of time before using. The juice is all gycerin based; I do not believe it is thinned with water or water soluble - nicotine solution is added to the PG, VG, or PG/VG base. I do not recommend leaving any water in the cart for any reason for any extended period of time unless you intend to toss the carts after a few refills. Dry batting will absorb more juice, carts filled with juice have a very long shelf life.

With the way things are looking from a legal and political perspective, I intend to save as many carts as possible, keep them in good condition for as long as possible, so when they are no longer available, I should be able to get by for a few years (at least two as long as the juice lasts 2 years in the fridge). After that, there better be a way to get juice so I don't have to become a chemist; but at least I will have several hundred operational carts and numerous batteries and plans for mods before the day of reckoning arrives. Call me chicken little if you want, but all you proponents of vape once or twice and discard, don't come knockin at my door for carts next year. It won't be because ecigs are banned (which is still down the road a while), it will because the FDA / ATF / USPS will have the self-annointed authority to seize all shipments containing any and all of the products we currently purchase from V4L without any legal precedent or recourse; we will not have to wait for legislation to happen, this is already underway. :(

Last edited:

jamvector

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2010
Wisconsin
What would happen, or what do you think would happen if I put a used carto in a medicine bottle with alcohol in it? Would it clean it out real good and dry quickly when I'm done? After all, that is what I clean the threads and elctrical post with.

There have been many posts regarding soaking in cheap vodka, everclear, etc., but recommend avoiding more poisonous alcohols such as rubbing alcohol. This works quite well, but does not boil off or provide the benefits boiling water does regarding convective cleaning. If I remember correctly, some of the posters using alcohol for cleaning also recommended periodically boiling as well to help refresh the carts to near-new condition (I think Leaford had something in one of his videos about the positive effects on the heating element from occasional boiling). You can do a search and find a lot more on this if you have the time.

One other point; most of the boiling threads in the last month neglect the importance of sanitizing the mouthpiece parts; since they can't be boiled (deformation, permanent damage), soaking them in alcohol is highly recommended. People seem to think just rinsing them in hot water kills bacteria and germs - wrong! Skin burn starts at 130 degF (ie the maximum temp your water heater would produce which you would be hand rinsing the parts in your sink from), boiling kills most everything worth worrying about at 212 degF; alcohol soaking of the parts we put in our mouth is the next best thing, and should NOT be ignored as I have said many times in the past. :)

Last edited:

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas
What would happen, or what do you think would happen if I put a used carto in a medicine bottle with alcohol in it? Would it clean it out real good and dry quickly when I'm done? After all, that is what I clean the threads and elctrical post with.

There is a thread wandering around here somewhere on the pros and cons of cleaning with alcohol. Run a search down at the bottom if you want to view it.

If you are talking rubbing alcohol, you would still need to rinse very, very, very well with water because you definitely DO NOT want to be vaping it. A lot of people use pure grain alcohol from the liquor store. Again, you would have to rinse well, but it's not going to kill you.

I've used both the pga and boiling methods, and can't see that there's much difference between the two. Ymmv.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I've read somewhere recently that we should use distilled water to clean cartos, especially those destined for longer use/storage, because tap water will eventually leave nasty mineral deposits inside the carto. Makes sense to me, I have to boil vinegar in my tea kettle almost weekly to remove the mineral build-up. Do you do that?

jamvector

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2010
Wisconsin
I've read somewhere recently that we should use distilled water to clean cartos, especially those destined for longer use/storage, because tap water will eventually leave nasty mineral deposits inside the carto. Makes sense to me, I have to boil vinegar in my tea kettle almost weekly to remove the mineral build-up. Do you do that?

Distilled water is a good idea; I haven't used it since I have a particulate water filter for my well water and normally use soft water from the tap, so there isn't a lot of iron or other calcites in my case. In most instances, using softened tap water is probably ok, if you are on well water especially (avoid any source of hard water to minimize mineral buildup in the carts).

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Distilled water is a good idea; I haven't used it since I have a particulate water filter for my well water and normally use soft water from the tap, so there isn't a lot of iron or other calcites in my case. In most instances, using softened tap water is probably ok, if you are on well water especially (avoid any source of hard water to minimize mineral buildup in the carts).

Thanks. Jam! We have very hard water here.

aubergine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2010
MD
I keep saying I'm gonna try just puttung them in a clean sock or something in the clothes dryer, but I never get around to washing mine out. Well I did once, but never quite finished but a dozen or so. There are hundreds of em now, the last half of them topped and refilled to death, then tossed in bowl.

No one ever tried the clothes dryer? Imagine blowing out hundreds of carts... it's not gonna happen...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread