Not open for further replies.

Territoo

Diva
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    I have surgery coming up in 1 week and have to pass a urine cotinine. I went to 0mg nicotine 4 weeks ago and still am testing positive with the home urine tests. I have tested the ejuice and it is negative. My BMI is normal, Been drink a gallon of water a day for about 1 week, exercising and drinking detox tea. Any suggestions and has anyone tested positive this long? Help I’m freaking out that I won’t clear this.

Also, testing the ejuice isn't going to help. The test is for cotinine, which is a metabolite of nicotine, not for nicotine itself. Likewise testing the tea isn't going to tell you anything.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    I have surgery coming up in 1 week and have to pass a urine cotinine. I went to 0mg nicotine 4 weeks ago and still am testing positive with the home urine tests. I have tested the ejuice and it is negative. My BMI is normal, Been drink a gallon of water a day for about 1 week, exercising and drinking detox tea. Any suggestions and has anyone tested positive this long? Help I’m freaking out that I won’t clear this.

Cranberry Juice is a Time Honored way to Clean out your Circulatory System.

And it Tastes Good Also!

Ericsgreen

ECF Veteran
    Mar 20, 2021
    How does a Dr deny surgery for nicotine use, I'd assume it isn't medically necessary? But still that rubs me wrong, maybe I can justify a job, it's thier freedom to do so and my freedom to avoid them but surgery. I understand studies showing nicotine slows healing, but that's on you, after the surgery you could smoke 2 packs a day, feels like gatekeeping in the worst way, what am I missing? Not trying to pry, just want to understand the basics but don't need to know .... if I am prying

Hawise

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 25, 2013
    AB, Canada
    How does a Dr deny surgery for nicotine use, I'd assume it isn't medically necessary? But still that rubs me wrong, maybe I can justify a job, it's thier freedom to do so and my freedom to avoid them but surgery. I understand studies showing nicotine slows healing, but that's on you, after the surgery you could smoke 2 packs a day, feels like gatekeeping in the worst way, what am I missing? Not trying to pry, just want to understand the basics but don't need to know .... if I am prying

I believe that a few specific surgeries are pretty much guaranteed to fail if the patient is using nicotine because of nicotine's circulatory effects. It's not ethical for a surgeon to operate if they know that the surgery will probably leave the patient worse off. While surgeons can't guarantee that a person will abstain from nicotine after surgery, they can maximize the chances.

The OP isn't smoking or vaping nicotine, but there's nicotine (well, cotinine) in their system that will screw up the outcome of the surgery if it continues to be there. An ethical surgeon can't perform a nicotine-sensitive surgery until the situation's sorted out.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    I have no exposure to 2nd hand smoke. The test is 200ng/ml. The test I had Monday (3 weeks after stopping) was positive. Not sure what that level was. I have tried a couple different home tests. The surgeon said to bad need to be negative before surgery. I’m sure people try to try and fake it.

According to the CDC:

Nonsmokers exposed to typical levels of SHS have serum cotinine levels of less than 1 ng/mL, with heavy exposure to SHS producing levels in the 1–10 ng/mL range. Active smokers almost always have levels higher than 10 ng/mL and sometimes higher than 500 ng/mL (Hukkanen et al., 2005).

That said, I also read the ranges are often 1 thousand ng/ml for a current smoker.

However, according to healthline, they say it can take up to 10 days for a smoker to eliminate all the cotinine in their bloodstream, and up to 3 weeks to eliminate it from your urine.

So talk to your doctor about it.. what kind of test are they using, verses what your using etc. There are some foods and medications that can give false positives as well.

Menthol prolongs the amount of time it takes to test negative.

Last edited:
    • Agree
    Reactions: puffon

Territoo

Diva
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    I'm sorry. But in my days in medical school and residency, I never heard of a patient ever being tested for cotinine, much less being denied surgery. Now maybe it's possible with some of those delicate plastic surgeries, but those are generally elective and frequently cosmetic. The OP did say what type of surgery was to be done, but I assume it's elective or the surgeon wouldn't be that concerned about nicotine. Besides, it's not the nicotine that prevents healing, it's the million and one other compounds in cigarette smoke.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    I'm sorry. But in my days in medical school and residency, I never heard of a patient ever being tested for cotinine, much less being denied surgery. Now maybe it's possible with some of those delicate plastic surgeries, but those are generally elective and frequently cosmetic. The OP did say what type of surgery was to be done, but I assume it's elective or the surgeon wouldn't be that concerned about nicotine. Besides, it's not the nicotine that prevents healing, it's the million and one other compounds in cigarette smoke.

I'm hearing about it more lately, I think it's relatively new, but this isn't the first person I've heard say this.

Now, it's definitely not every doctor. My neurosurgeon allowed me to vape with nicotine all the way to surgery, and then after surgery I switched to zero for 3 months so the healing process might be better - and that was major back surgery (fusions, bone grafts, disc spacers put in, old hardware taken out, rod put in etc)

So, it's weird, but this isn't the first time I've heard this in the last year or so.

Reactions: Territoo

Territoo

Diva
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    Sure we'd tell people to stop smoking, even put them on the patch while in the hospital to help them stop. But never had I heard of a surgeon cancelling surgery, but that was a long time ago. My last years were in correctional health, and perhaps the surgeons assumed that since the offenders weren't permitted cigarettes or smoking, that they didn't smoke. They got contraband cigarettes and worse.

• Informative
    Reactions: Opinionated

mjc12771

Apr 15, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Update

Finally today I tested negative. I have been drinking a gallon of water a day which I will continue until surgery in a week, doing an all natural detox tea, taking vitamin c and using a detox pill bought off Amazon. Before going into surgeon office for my preop I will drink lots of water just to be on safe side.

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    I am so glad you seemed to resolve this issue (and this was a very interesting read) but still going to say... there is a point where we (the patients) have to take control of our own lives. I trust and try to take the advice of doctors (in fact... had a hernia and read so many bad things about the mesh repair... turns out my surgeon was very experienced and did a great job (and that was on low income medical assistance program) I was lucky and doing fine. But... I do not go blindly into medical things... I do my own homework and make my own decisions (OK... enough about that) I was aware that nicotine can affect healing of some things. I was fine (and did also do my own research on this) I feel it is blown out of proportion. I guess what I'm really trying to say is this is just another way to control every aspect of our lives. If you had to, you might have been better off finding another surgeon that gets this. By the way... I wipe down twice, then up as needed (the day that is a required question on a medical form I think I'd rather die than play these games anymore)
    By the way, my mother-in-law tested positive for .... (she was 75 years old)... turns out it was some cold medicine LOL Sorry for the rant...

man114

Mar 30, 2021
    Who knows what will pop those tests, one time I test positive for .... because have terrible allergies and use those Vicks Inhalers rather frequently. They have some sort of methamphetamine derivative that constricts your nasal blood vessels so you can breathe better. Now knowing that I try and alternate with China oil peppermint oil. I’m pretty sure sudafed pops those tests too. While I use the Vicks my wife has the same types of sinus issues and vapes just plain menthol crystals, nic, and VG as the mix to clear her’s. I can’t do that but it’s because the menthol always makes me cough.

Reactions: Opinionated
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread