Help with Ethyl Maltol Solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leeroy5150

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2009
San Diego, CA
I have a small botlle (4-5 CC or so) of Crystals. I have heard that these should be dissolved in PGA. I have some PGA and am looking for a ballpark ratio to mix the 2(EM to PGA) and any other advice on the ins and outs this process or using Ethyl Maltol. I heard that it helps to take the edge off of sharp flavors and some say that it adds a bit of sweetness to mixes.
Thanks in advance for sharing...

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
I have a small botlle (4-5 CC or so) of Crystals. I have heard that these should be dissolved in PGA. I have some PGA and am looking for a ballpark ratio to mix the 2(EM to PGA) and any other advice on the ins and outs this process or using Ethyl Maltol. I heard that it helps to take the edge off of sharp flavors and some say that it adds a bit of sweetness to mixes.
Thanks in advance for sharing...

I use 1/8 tsp per 1 drop of TA. So for 10ml of PGA I use 2 drops TA and 1/4 tsp of EM.
Hope this helps.
Dan

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
What is TA please?

CHC is correct, if you download or have downloaded v9 of the ejuice calculator, look on the Additional Mixing Help tab. It walks you through mixing TA (tobacco Absolute) and EM (Ethyl Maltol) to make your own tobacco flavoring. It also has links to a vendor that supplies them.

Hope this helps
Dan

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
I have a somewhat related question. I live in Ohio, which apparently does not sell PGA/Everclear. My local liquor store said they have 151... would that be ok to use instead? I found a website that sells Everclear, I would just like to avoid shipping costs and time if possible. Thanks!

I just talked to Linda last night from the perfumers apprentice, and she has added ethyl maltol liquid! It is suspended in PG and is available here:
Ethyl Maltol Liquid (10% PG)

I personally would get the 8ml for 3.50 and see how it goes. No more need for PGA. Unless you already have the EM crystals, then any High proof alcohol will work, it just takes longer for them to disolve.

Also as a side note, the perfumers apprentice is going to be opening a ecig DIY shop and adding in new flavors. She said that the ones you can only get in oils currently she will offer in water base.
Dan

DonleyDoRight

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
Florida Panhandle
www.want2vape.com
Thank you SBD for introducing me to perfumers apprentice and Linda.

I too have had many conversations with her. And she is such a wonderful person and vendor.
She sent me this link the other day
FLAVORs

They after all that you have done I'm sure, started listing flavors for the DIY juice blenders.
She has sent me so many samples that it will be awhile before I can get through them all.
Has anybody else tried her "Dairy" flavor? If so let me know what you think. I'm not sure what to think of it. It is a unique as anything I've ever tried.

And to stay on topic, Innovapor and Intellicig ECOPure is Ethyl Maltol flavor. Which I love and have had to make myself in a pinch (using SBD's calculator of course :D)

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
So, are the current flavors listed at PA not water-based?

No what I ment was the flavors you get from Lorann like Peppermint, Spermint, Lime, Clove, Orange, Cinnamon, lemon, and wintergreen are essance oils.

She is going to make the flavors you cant typically get other than in oils in water based flavors is what she told me.

The current flavors and subsequent flavors at PA are water base and she will be adding more.
Dan

voltaire

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2009
Florida
I just talked to Linda last night from the perfumers apprentice, and she has added ethyl maltol liquid! It is suspended in PG and is available here:
Ethyl Maltol Liquid (10% PG)

Is this solution equivalent to the one made by following your recipe that uses PGA? If not, what's the substitution ratio?

Thanks, even if you don't answer me! :thumbs:

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
Is this solution equivalent to the one made by following your recipe that uses PGA? If not, what's the substitution ratio?

Thanks, even if you don't answer me! :thumbs:

Good question, I will have to ask her. If I read it right it is 10% PG, so at 8ml it would be 7ml EM (90%) and 10% PG. or 1.5tsp EM
So you would have to use 1.3ml for 1/4 tsp of EM
But I will check with her to make sure I am right.
Dan

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Cool! Does she have info on diacetyl? From what I understand you would have to inhale a lot of it to be harmful, however, it would be nice to be forewarned. I Have your calc. it is a nifty tool. You are a valuable resource to this forum and vapers everywhere! Thanks!

Laranns and Capellas do not use diacetyl. FlavorArts does in some of their flavors. The damage from diacetyl was with popcorn packers exposed to the compound in large quantities. No one knows how much is harmful with vaping it directly, but "harmful" = death or lung transplant. No middle ground with that stuff, it seems. So US flavor companies are now good about not using it at all. Loranns has a butter flavor that is not diacetyl...but it can make me cough...but then I'm known here as one of the sensitive ones when it comes to vaping ingredients, so YMMV.

Dkrom68

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2009
Backwoods NY USA
I actually believe its 10% Ethyl Maltol
Good question, I will have to ask her. If I read it right it is 10% PG, so at 8ml it would be 7ml EM (90%) and 10% PG. or 1.5tsp EM
So you would have to use 1.3ml for 1/4 tsp of EM
But I will check with her to make sure I am right.
Dan

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
I actually believe its 10% Ethyl Maltol

Just got off the phone with Linda, your correct it is 1 gram of EM to 9 grams of PG. She is measuring as we speak to find out how much PG 1/4 tsp would need in ml's to make 9 grams. So I am hoping it is 10ml to 1/4 tsp. We will find out.
Dan

Last edited:

CloudBurst

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2009
Georgia, USA
Me too, I just got mine and mixed up a 10 ml bottle.
Just got off the phone whith Linda, your correct it is 1 gram of EM to 9 grams of PG. She is measuring as we speak to find out how much PG 1/4 tsp would need in ml's to make 9 grams. So I am hoping it is 10ml to 1/4 tsp. We will find out.
Dan

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
Me too, I just got mine and mixed up a 10 ml bottle.

Well She called me back and the 8ml bottle contains 1/4tsp EM, so all you need to do is add 2 drops of TA and run it under hot water while shaking to get the TA to mix. And you have PG based tobacco flavoring concentrate ready to drip into ejuice. :)
She is sending me a bottle to test. I will report back and see how adding TA directly to the EM concentrate does.

Oh BTW she said NONE of her flavors have diacetyl in them! And I let her know to add if it is water or oil based flavors on the web site, so she has added that to the description.
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread