The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Help with Russian build?

Discussion in 'ProVari' started by Cob24, Jan 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Cob24

Cob24 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

image.jpg So I have a new Russian and built my first coil at 2.6 ohms (12 wraps around a 1/16 drill bit 30 ga). Got peaches and cream ran through it. Now what? How much of this yarn am I supposed to leave outside of th coil? Where does it all go?

2. Harley0227

Harley0227 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    Katy, TX, USA
    Just a bit draping down into the small channels on either side of the coil. From what I understood on Pbusardo's video, just cut it enough to feed into those almost to the bottom of them. Also, try using 7 or 8 wraps, as the coil needs to be inline with the channels on the sides so the wick can lay into them. I would shoot for around 1.6 or 1.8 ohms with this style. I have a genesis style RTA, and Im having great luck with my 1.8 coil on my Provari. Im vaping at 4 volts, and its great. Im ordering my Russian 91% tomorrow...

3. Train2

Train2 ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 11, 2013
    CA, USA
    I was looking a few days ago - here's sort of the "classic" wick setup:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Harley0227

Jan 15, 2014
    Katy, TX, USA
    I also use a 5/64 drill for making my coils. You could probably use a 3/32 drill so your diameter is bigger, which would make the coil much shorter for the same given ohm reading. Im also using 32 gage Kanthal. I plan on getting some 28 gage for my R91 wraps, or just twisting my 32 haha.

5. Harley0227

Jan 15, 2014
    Katy, TX, USA
    Thats an awesome explanation too!!!

6. Cob24

Ok so I screwed that Up pretty good then. I ran them all the way up into the Evap chamber. Filled it with juice and took a hit. Burnt cotton. Learning curve time.

7. Cob24

Took it apart and learned what happens when you remove the base. 3 ml wasted. Take 2. I hope I have enough juice to get through this learning curve. Ohm jumped up to 3 on that coil. I like the idea of high ohms cause I like cool vapes but this is very daunting.

8. Harley0227

Jan 15, 2014
    Katy, TX, USA
    Yeah, hahaha, its a bit of a learning curve with these RTA's, I learned the hard way too.

9. Cob24

So what did I do wrong that there was zero juice on the wick? The cotton just burnt and broke

10. Cob24

Take 2 same coil image.jpg

11. rob33

rob33 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 20, 2009
    Concord, NC
    I found somewhere around 1.7 ohm is a sweet spot. It taste good, vapes good, and wicks good. That would be around 7 wraps on your drill bit.

12. Hill

Hill Super Member ECF Veteran

May 7, 2013
    Texas USA
    If you haven't yet, I highly suggest you watch the PBusardo or Rip Trippers videos on youtube. It helps a lot when you can see it done.

13. Cob24

Exactly how does the juice get to this wick?

14. rob33

Dec 20, 2009
    Concord, NC
    Mostly you don't want to block the groves in the threads of the deck

15. Hill

Hill Super Member ECF Veteran

May 7, 2013
    Texas USA
    The juice comes up through the juice channels and meets the wick at the deck. the juice is drawn up through the channels by negative vacuum when you take a drag. At least that's how it was explained to me. lol

16. rob33

Dec 20, 2009
    Concord, NC
  17. danimal40

danimal40 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    Boston
    it works by psi and vacuum which draws juice in. make sure you soak wick with juice or cotton will burn

18. Cob24

Ok now I'm not getting anything when it fires. So lost.

19. Cob24

And getting an e1 code. Guess I need to redo the wick and shoot for lower ohm. Bye bye to a total of 5 mls now :( :( :(

20. Cob24

It did manage to wick that time. No vapor though. About to toss that coil and go for lower ohm (less twists)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.