Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Montana
I'm having a hard time understanding the "pin" issue or my Russian 91 just doesn't have the issue. The pin is able to be screwed in and out even with my fingernail as it is easy to adjust for different mods but once you turn it in or out to make connection, it stays in that position unless I am not fully understanding the issue.
I am a noob as well and I have found it easier to thread your coil, pull the tails up while screwing on the next section, then cut the wick tails just slightly above the tube, then stock the tails down onto the deck, prime the wicks/well, finish assembly, fill the tank and start at low voltage and begin vaping!! I was actually way over thinking the wick placement issue and found that once you stick the wicks down onto the deck and laying next to the stack....no issues!! I hope this helps but take a deep breath and relax....when it happens, it will be so worth it!!

I also read every damn post in the kayfun lite thread and it was very helpful as well but that's alot of reading!!

That's pretty much how I wick mine too. The 510 pin on the KFL is a little more picky. It's not adjustable & can loosen when you're tightening down the coil on the positive block inside the chamber.

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
The adjustable pin on my R91% DOES move around. When I take if off and then later put it back on something.. I have to check to make sure it's still unscrewed enough to make a connection. Sometimes when unscrewing it from the device, it will screw the adjustable pin up too. I found this out the hard way when it screwed back in just enough to lose connection intermittently and my resistance was all over the place. I was at work when this happened and thought it had a short and couldn't use it (no backup!) I posted about it and quickly found out what was going on.

Cob24

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
A place some call paradise
The adjustable pin on my R91% DOES move around. When I take if off and then later put it back on something.. I have to check to make sure it's still unscrewed enough to make a connection. Sometimes when unscrewing it from the device, it will screw the adjustable pin up too. I found this out the hard way when it screwed back in just enough to lose connection intermittently and my resistance was all over the place. I was at work when this happened and thought it had a short and couldn't use it (no backup!) I posted about it and quickly found out what was going on.

So what was going on and how did you fix it? My center pin moves in and out. It's like there's no threads inside there to hold it in place. Plus it's leaking juice out of the connection as well.

Cob24

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
So I took everything apart and cleaned it last night and boiled my peaches and cream. I just wanted to make sure to check whatever boxes I could.

I think I only have enough wire for one more coil so I'm going to make it count. If I can keep the 510 pin from moving around all willy bully I think I can be ok. The coil building part isn't the problem, but the getting it attached to the Russian and wicking part is. So I'll post my next update in a little while when I figure out if I got one. And yes I will prime the yarn this time!

Cob24

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
image.jpg
I was convinced this one was it but I guess I didn't quite have enough to have it laying on the deck both sides. It looks wet and all but I keep getting the slight flavor of burnt cotton. I torched my wire. I fired it 5 times. Watched it start in the middle and work it's way out. Then I wicked it and primed it. Fired with it on there and it smelled like vape. Took three puffs decent flavor but then onto slight undertones of burnt cotton. I've watched videos. I'm just clueless as to what I'm doing wrong. Had my volts at 3.7 by the way.

kas122461

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2013
Indiana, USA
Is the coil runnin perpendicular to the screws and then the wick figure 8'd over the coil and through the coil?

Here is another pic of a pattern, I was trying before this one, which shows the position of the coil, I have made my coils like this from the start.

new wich style -1.jpg

I just just like it across the deck that way, i use 30 ga on 5/64 bit for mine and try for a 2.0 to 2.5 ohm coil.

KAS

Ozwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Montana
How dense is the yarn? If you fluff it :facepalm: it'll wick more efficiently.

I use a diagonal coil & wicked normal with no problems.

The other thing you can do to help get the juice moving on the wick is play with your hole while you vape. :blink: I mean block the air intake with your finger & 'tap' it as you fire/draw, interrupting the air flow somewhat rapidly.

stryfox

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2011
pennsylvinia
Also, you can prevent wasting juice by holding the tank upside down with the drip tip over an empty bottle. Slowly unscrew the base & the juice will pour right out the drip tip into the bottle. You'll lose a little, but less than a mL.

This part right here will keep you from wasting juice if you need to disassemble a tank.

Cob24

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
I tried a bunch of different setups and found the 8 wrap 1.7 ohm with cotton works best.
For the wick, I pull it up through the chimney, clip just above chimney top and GENTLY push cotton down sides.

Wicks and hits like a beast.

So just organic cotton balls then? Stretched out and turned into sort of a string?

rastapete69

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2013
Orlando
I had a major hassle with the center pin and thought my center tube was too short.
The positive deck was loose and once I tightened it, the center pin was too high to fire.

A helpful member here put up a video and it turned out, the adjustable pin being too tightly screwed into the center post is common.

Once I got it freed, I tightened the center post to the positive deck, then put in the pin, adjusted it, and have been running perfectly.

rastapete69

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2013
Orlando
yep, organic cotton balls are the best wicking material in my opinion.

Secret is, less is more.

Roll it up so it moves freely through the coils and doesn't bunch up.

Pull it through the chimney, clip flush or slightly above chimney, and use something skinny to gently push the cotton down the sides.

You will be amazed at how well this works.

I tried Peached and Cream on other attys and was very disappointed with the results and picked up a bag of organic cotton balls at CVS and should have wicking material for a looooong time for 5 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread