Help with USB passthrough batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

GabbyD

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2008
Southern U.S.
I ordered two and they arrived today, for my penstyle. Tried them both, on every USB port, on both of my laptops and I'm getting nothing. It lights up, but no vapors. I have 2.0 USB ports. What else could be wrong? I know the atomizer works. Help!

I'm about to pull my hair out over all the failures I've had in the past week. This is the icing on the cake. If USB won't work for me, I'm about ready to chuck the whole vaping idea.

Jaaxx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2008
Atlanta, GA
juicyliquid.com
I have a penstyle USB battery. Used to work on all 4 of my atomizers. Now only works on 2. The difference? Well I used the 2 non-working ones on a 3rd party battery (worked great BTW) and then they quit working on the USB. They still work great with the 3rd party batts and with the original batts, just not the usb.

I think the center electrode (on the atomizers) got pushed down a little by the 3rd party batt and now won't contact the center of the USB batt. More examination is due on my part, but I think this is the issue.

invidregis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2008
Chicago, USA
It does sound like a contact issue. They will light up if the vacuum switch is activated, and that doesn't take much. If you feel like experimenting wad up a piece of tin foil and place it in the center of the battery, carefully as not to touch the outter brass. Screw back on the atomizer. If it vapes you have a bad contact, exchange time.

Last edited:

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Jaxyx is right. Glad this post was made. I have 4 of these USB bypasses that I have been trying to make work and once reading this post I tried a new atomizer and all four of them worked finally for the first time. The battery must push in the contact a little bit when you screw them on and off so I will not use any batteries on my atomizers that I plan on using with the usb bypass-Happy to finally be USB vaping now and not sweating it out when another battery is going to die as I have been rotating 4 of them a day--thanks again for the post

GabbyD

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2008
Southern U.S.
Yep, we got this cleared up as well. When my husband got home with our other two atomizers, they both worked just fine with the USB. So it was just a fluke with the one atomizer.

Man, once you get that USB thing working, all is right with the world. LOL! Found a car USB charger that works with them too. Drove home in a cloud. :p

GabbyD

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2008
Southern U.S.
GabbyD --would you mind sharing where you got your car adaptor for the USB--sure would like to cloud up in the car--thanks

We got it at Walmart and it was just under $10. It's a Philips "USB car charger kit" and comes with adapters for iPods or something. It was the only one we found that was powerful enough to work. And it was stocked over where they have RCA cables for televisions, instead of with the iPod and phone items. :confused:

Anyway, it's model number SJM2208/17. If you find another one somewhere, the power output is an issue. This one says USB output is 5v 1000 mAh.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread