Help With Variable Volatge

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobbyDidge

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2012
New Jersey
Ok so I am finally ready to take the plunge into variable vaping. I think I finally found what I want, the new lavatube or ""varitube X" from my question is I know the old lavatube had a cutoff at 2.5 amps but a lot of people complained saying it was too low. The new one is 4.0amp cutoff. Being this is my first VV personal vaporizer is 4 amp cutoff still safe for me? Will it prevent me from doing newbie mistake like the old lavatube would?

Also, if you own a varitube X i would love your input on it! I know tons of people say provari provari provari but I am not looking to spend that kind of money! Especially on my first VV mod!

All answers welcome!

Thanks!

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
The one that crystalclearvaping sells has a 3.2 amp limit and should give you plenty of protection. He also has the Xl 3ohm Boge cartos that fit the dc tanks (that he sells) great cust service, great prices and free shipping (and free drip tips)

Bout as much as a one stop shop as you'll get :)

zzooti

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2011
Brunswick, Maine
Ah, don't know why they have to bring amps into it-worrying about volts and ohms is almost enough to take the fun out of it; I just got my first vv apv, a lavatube-well, a sort of generic lavatube, close enough-and I'm having a blast figuring it out, but if I have to worry about amps I'll chuck it and go back to my Inferno; I'm not an electrician-volts & ohms & amps....pfah! I just want to enjoy a good vape. I say go for the lavatube; good luck.

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
Ok so I am finally ready to take the plunge into variable vaping.The new one is 4.0amp cutoff. Being this is my first VV personal vaporizer is 4 amp cutoff still safe for me? Will it prevent me from doing newbie mistake like the old lavatube would?

The amp limit has nothing to do with safety or preventing mistakes. A higher amp limit just means it'll be able to drive lower ohms and dual core to a higher voltage which is what the 1st gen Lavatube struggled with.

Especially with dual core which require more amperage and usually don't start to shine till a higher voltage the limiter was kicking in to soon.

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
Do I have to worry about blowing up atties or does it protect against that?

I know what you were meaning...the 3.2 amp limit should provide you with plenty of power while protecting you from popping attys. You might want to start buying your attys/cartos in around 3ohm as opposed to lr.

BobbyDidge

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2012
New Jersey
The reason I want to be able to use low resistance atties and cartos is because I still use my ego so I wanna share the products with each device :) save some money!

So you think I should get the varitube from ivape with 4 amp shut off or crystal clear with 3.2 amp shut off. They both cost the exact same. Not sure if ivape has free shipping though.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Signs? The atty goes "pop". lol.

Well, vapor could be too hot too.

The New LT has 4 amps. The other vartube X is also 4 amps I think. So no diff there anyway.

The 4 amp comes ito play if you want to use DCCs (dual coil cartos) at 1.6 ohms (2 x 3.2 ohm coils). That takes 3.X amps to pull off at 5 volts.

Basically, once you get into VV or HV stuff, you don't need LR stuff anymore so you don't really have to worry about popping it as much as you may think you do. The DCC's are an exception.. they are considered LR, but are really 2 3.2 ohms.

EDIT: Nomo beat me to it again! lol

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
So I don't have to worry about my face being blown up!? Lol

Well, THAT's a different question....

That happened with stacked ICR batteries (I think they were ICR) and probably another issue. Use the recommended batteries (Like AW IMRs). Also, I think those devices are "buck/boost" so they only need 1 battery. However, they are probably high drain types (Like the AW IMR).

Last edited:

Reidus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2012
New Orleans, LA
Seems like people have issues when stacking batteries more often than those who use one.. just a trend I've noticed no hard evidence... Some just short out for whatever reason...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

That agrees with what I've read as well. At the end of the day, a battery is an energy storage device. Gasoline is an energy storage device. Any such device will explode if it gets hot enough (a friend of my brother-in-law had his flashlight explode in his truck one day. Thankfully, he wasn't in it). I've had disposable lighters I accidently left in my car explode. Y'll remember the recall a few years back of laptop batteries? They were catching fire! Read the battery warnings at the top of the forum pages and live them! You'll be fine.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    The LT has electronic internal protection. The only thing the LT does not protect against is a short within the battery itself, which is where the "IMR" (LiMN) safer chemistry battery comes in. "AW" is just a brand name, but a good one. So as long as you use the batteries that are suggested for the LT there is little to worry about.

Unless you use dual coil cartos, you will never notice that a normal LT has an amp limit. My chrome Cylon (LT) has the lower amp limit, and I have never once bumped up against it.

mynameisrob

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 7, 2011
    PH-Illadelph-IA, PA
    I would get the newest one bc it has better end caps. CCVs had the newer 3.2 amp internals, but the old body style.

You should just get some 3.0ohm single coil cartos and then you'll be able To use the entire range of voltages.

I know you don't want to spend the money, but what's the point of even getting a VV PV if your only going to use cartos that are for a 3.3V eGo. Using only LR cartos, especially if their 1.5ohm, is going to greatly limit the voltages you can use. If they are 1.5ohm LRs, your not going to be able to use much past 4.2-4.5 before it starts tasting burnt. If your going to spend the money on the PV, do yourself a favor and spend the extra money to get cartos that will actually allow you to enjoy (and use) the capabilities of your new VV toy.

You could do something similar to what I did. I got a SS mini v-tube a few weeks ago. It has the 2.5amp limit, but I dont like DCs anyway so it doesn't really bother me. I also have a 3.7V EPower which is alittle higher voltage than your eGo, but is still fairly low. I use 1.7ohm Ressurectors on my Epower, but knew they wouldn't be great on my V-tube so I got 3.0ohm cartos so I could vape at the higher voltages I like.
    I didn't want to bring my SS mini to work with me everyday bc I'd rather have something alittle slimmer that's more pocketable, and also I use a lOt of chemicals at work so I didn't want to risk possibly getting something on my new VV PV that could possibly ruin it. I was planning on just using my Epower at work bc it's easier to carry in a pocket, but I felt the same way you do and didnt really want to have to buy different cartos for different PVs all the time. Instead of using only my Epower cartos and limiting how high I can crank the voltage, I got the 3.0ohm cartos that I like so I can use the VV to its full potential, and then also bought one of the new eGo-C twist batteries to use at work instead of the Epower. The eGo-C twist is about the same size as my Epower, and since it can go from 3.2-4.8, I can just buy the cartos I want for my V-tube and use them on both devices.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread