Status
Not open for further replies.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
If the boards are not subject to the PMTA (being an unfinished product) that is even better for me. Also this means anyone with a little ingenuity can buy boards and DIY their own fully regulated TC capable device. Just buy the board, a 510 connector, battery sled, some appropriate gauge wire, a soldering iron, solder, and something to use as the housing. For someone with the right tools and some crafting skills, they could make the housing out of wood, metal, or other material and make something really nice.

I bought a DNA 75 hand made device, it cost far more than it was worth but for the future. I "think" that when its board fails then I can un-solder the old board and insert a new one. I have ten boards and ten screens. Prep work.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Still may want to stash some DNA boards.
Evolve may decide the e-cig market is not worth it for them, long term.
I wouldn't be surprised if they tap into other more lucrative, less controversial markets.

The U.S. isn't the only market.. the EU is very friendly towards e-cigarette use and has a healthy market place.. and I'm sure given time the U.S. will come around..

And in lieu of legal mods that work efficiently, those boards will have an even greater popularity here in the states..

Blitzdonlife

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2012
Central Texas
Nicotrol nasal spray worked quite well for me when I used it. Burned the insides out of my nose, and was extremely expensive, but I sure didn't feel the need for a smoke. It was 10 mg/ml of nicotine in a nasal spray bottle. Now if I could rebuild something like a Flonase nasal spray which is filled with a liquid for allergies, and replace it with 10 mg/ml of nic, I could theoretically reverse engineer the same thing. No idea if the amount released per spray would be exactly the same, but I could play with it. I could also play with buffering the nic into a nic salt and see if that's less irritating.

To think, all because of some kids vaping a Juul behind the high school we have to go through all these gyrations just to not smoke cigarettes.

I've made a nasal inhaler, with mixed results. Maybe salts would have a more tolerable effect in this method of administration. Freebase burned like fire, diluted to 6mg.

The spray bottle I used was equate brand, but was very similar to this one Ayr Allergy & Sinus Nasal Mist 1.69 fl oz Liquid | eBay

The Ayr branded one linked above costs ~$5.50 to $6.60 at Walmart here, so the equipment necessary for experimenting is very affordable.

Peace, and good luck.

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    The U.S. isn't the only market.. the EU is very friendly towards e-cigarette use and has a healthy market place.. and I'm sure given time the U.S. will come around..

And in lieu of legal mods that work efficiently, those boards will have an even greater popularity here in the states..
    Hope you are right. I should try to be more optimistic...;)

Blitzdonlife

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2012
    Central Texas
    I think lozenges or sprays are a great idea if the whole hand to mouth habit wasn't such an issue for many.
    Hand to mouth is definitely an issue, I agree. The habit may be stronger than the chemical addiction, not 100% sure on this point. Sprays are an option, but they have their problems. Lozenges are also an option, with different problems.

My personal experience with homemade nasal spray is that they deliver nicotine very quickly. After a day of using them, my sinuses are on fire, and my throat is sore.

I make my own nic mints, not sure if the term lozenges would be accurate. Nicotine delivery is slower than with nasal sprays, but much more pleasant. After adjusting to placing the mint under my tongue, and learning to not swallow saliva as quickly in order to moderate the harshness of the alkoloid being swallowed, I find this method works the best for me (other than vaping or smoking) to supply my nicotine cravings.

ScottP

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Still may want to stash some DNA boards.
    Evolve may decide the e-cig market is not worth it for them, long term.
    I wouldn't be surprised if they tap into other more lucrative, less controversial markets.

I was going to buy some raw boards in case the board in my HCigar VT75D went bad, but I managed to find the complete mod on clearance from Gearbest for LESS than I could buy just the board for. So I bought 3 of them. I have gotten 2 years of daily use out of this one so far, so even if this died tomorrow I would have an estimated 6 more years of expected life from what I have.

ScottP

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Hand to mouth is definitely an issue, I agree. The habit may be stronger than the chemical addiction, not 100% sure on this point.

I think you may very well be right. As I mentioned earlier, my wife easily switched from 6mg to 0 nic several months ago. She just can't seem to quit vaping though despite the fact that all that is in her juice now is PG, VG, and flavoring.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    The confusion is that there were multiple dates in the Deeming Regs. All products on the market PRIOR to the 2007 date are 100% exempt from the PMTA process and can be sold indefinitely without any additional authorization. All products on the market after the 2007 date but prior 8/8/16 are subject to the PMTA process BUT are allowed to continue to be sold until the PMTA deadline which is currently 8/8/2022. After that date they will require authorization to continue to be sold. Anything that came to market after the 8/8/2016 date is technically NOT supposed to be sold, but this has not been enforced at all.

Of course in the current climate, this could change at any time.
    There was information that the 2022 deadline was changed to 5/11/2020 due to a lawsuit.

also iirc there was a deadline for the PTMA process that recently expired. Only two devices were even on it. The iQOS, and a very last second application for some piece of Philip Morris gas station garbage thing. It’s why people seem to be so worried.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    @ENAUD - Just this past June, I applied only 3-4 drops of my 7mg eliquid under my tongue every 3-4 hours, on 2 long flights from Anchorage to central Florida. The method worked great! I just held it there each time for about a minute, before swallowing...just like I do with my liquid B-12 at home. :thumbs:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    I think lozenges or sprays are a great idea if the whole hand to mouth habit wasn't such an issue for many.
    The lozenges and sprays don’t show any better effect than the patches, which is unsurprising because like the patch they treat only the chemical issue. Most people trying to quit cigarettes with ecigs from what I have seen here have already tried one or several of them first. The patch is often particularly problematic because of skin rashes. Also the nic it uses is often at least partially decomposed that I have seen. You can tell by the smell.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    @ENAUD - Just this past June, I applied only 3-4 drops of my 7mg eliquid under my tongue every 3-4 hours, on 2 long flights from Anchorage to central Florida. The method worked great! I just held it there each time for about a minute, before swallowing...just like I do with my liquid B-12 at home. :thumbs:
    My airplane solution is to use unflavored juice as hand lotion. Unprotonated nic sinks right through skin. It’s the same chemical as in the patch, just vastly higher quality at a vastly lower price.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Snus. Snus. Snus.

I should not be giving away mah secrets but the Swiss do what they want including ship me snus when I request it. The Swiss do what they want. Period.

Few enough folks use it and it is considered so "low rent" it's at the bottom of the barrel but it is better and possibly SAFER than NRT.

Anna

ScottP

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Ok so as long as incomplete products remain PMTA exempt I found a great solution (for as long as it lasts):

Raw DNA 75C Board $54.99: Evolv DNA 75 Color (retail box)
    DNA 75C DIY Case including screws $39.99 – $54.99: XPV DNA-75C Case
    Complete Kit (both items above) $95.99 – $114.99: XPV DNA-75C DIY Kit

All you have to do is assemble it. Instructions are here: https://www.protovapor.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/XPV75C-Instructions-V1.1.pdf

NOTE: I have never ordered anything from Protovapor so I cannot attest to their service or support.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Snus. Snus. Snus.

I should not be giving away mah secrets but the Swiss do what they want including ship me snus when I request it. The Swiss do what they want. Period.
    I thought it was the Swedes. No matter.

Few enough folks use it and it is considered so "low rent" it's at the bottom of the barrel but it is better and possibly SAFER than NRT.

Anna

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Ok so as long as incomplete products remain PMTA exempt I found a great solution (for as long as it lasts):

Raw DNA 75C Board $54.99: Evolv DNA 75 Color (retail box)

DNA 75C DIY Case including screws $39.99 – $54.99: XPV DNA-75C Case
    Complete Kit (both items above) $95.99 – $114.99: XPV DNA-75C DIY Kit

All you have to do is assemble it. Instructions are here: https://www.protovapor.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/XPV75C-Instructions-V1.1.pdf

NOTE: I have never ordered anything from Protovapor so I cannot attest to their service or support.
    missing the atty and the juice.

Juice is creatable, sort of. Got to do a NET which is a gigantic pain in the tukus. Also I don’t like them. I don’t need a wta for one.
    RDAs are creatable. You don’t even really need a lathe, though it makes them prettier. So are RTAs though they are harder and require advanced equipment.

ScottP

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    missing the atty and the juice.

Juice is creatable, sort of. Got to do a NET which is a gigantic pain in the tukus. Also I don’t like them. I don’t need a wta for one.
    RDAs are creatable. You don’t even really need a lathe, though it makes them prettier. So are RTAs though they are harder and require advanced equipment.

Or one could spend $50 now and buy a hand full of RDA clones from Fasttech before the deadline. RDA's should never go bad and since they don't have glass, should never break. The only issue would be losing them.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Or one could spend $50 now and buy a hand full of RDA clones from Fasttech before the deadline. RDA's should never go bad and since they don't have glass, should never break. The only issue would be losing them.
    Naw, they wear. Slowly but they wear. Issues are the 510 connector threads and the insulator. Insulators could be 3d printed, but not all printers can do it. Have to use shapeways or something and you’d need the CAD file.

ScottP

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Naw, they wear. Slowly but they wear. Issues are the 510 connector threads and the insulator. Insulators could be 3d printed, but not all printers can do it. Have to use shapeways or something and you’d need the CAD file.

Hmm I never knew they worn down considering the insulators don't move. In that case I would buy 4 or 5 of the same RDA and when I got down to last one, I would make a mold of the parts. The I would find suitable material, and use the mold to make more. If it came down to it, I could hand carve new insulator parts from blocks.

As far as the base itself, I am sure I could find a local machine/CNC shop that could replicate the metal parts. Would probably cost more than a clone from FT but way cheaper than smoking for sure. Come to think of it, I could probably find a 3D printer shop to clone the insulator parts as well.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread