Status
Not open for further replies.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I believe Chicago is now the most expensive, outstripping NY by a dollar or so. As to variance, when my daughter was in high school in Jackson MS, I would stock up for about $4 a pack. For college in Houston, it was in the $5 a pack region, which was still a bargain. I always stuffed whatever I could into my luggage on those trips for the return trip home.

NYC is now a minimum price of $13 last I saw. I remember it being ~$12 when I stopped. If you're in a captive audience situation like commuting through Grand Central station and need a pack on either end of your commute, Hudson News, which seems to be in every airport and train station, will nail you for $16.

It's why loosies are common, but illegal, in some neighborhoods in NY. There was the famous case of Eric Garner who ended up choked out while being arrested for selling loose cigarettes.

my son is in the Houston area and says cigs are around 7 dollars a pack now for name brand..

Reactions: Eskie

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
PEEK. PEEK is the difficult but possible to 3D print high temp plastic I was talking about

Yeah, I remember now. Peek is the one that works best as a high temp insulator. I remember looking it up. It's expensive to buy but you can get small pieces cheap. Offcuts or somesuch.

I don't know anything about 3D printing. Can you take something like an insulator to a shop and have them reproduce it? Do you know what the price range would be?

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
how much does nasal spray cost compared to retail cigarettes? A lot more.

is it more addictive than cigarettes? Unknown but very possibly. On some sort of par at the low end.

It appears from a quick online check you can get them from $24 and up, which is lower than when they first came out. It is certainly the most addictive of the NRT products out there from the real "rush" you get from the spray. More addictive than cigarettes? Not really sure, but probably close to the same. I sure couldn't even wean down on it. It was straight back to almost two packs a day when I went off, which was higher than my usual smoking. I settled back down to a pack and a half in time.

Reactions: Opinionated

BigPappa

Ultra Member
Sep 21, 2019
Fort Myers, FL
They're going up everywhere. Still $7 beats around here. I wonder what they are now in the Carolinas. Those were always among the lowest.
Yeah, when I lived in NY and we would drive to Florida for vacation, on the way back we would always grab 50 cartons in NC. I could kill 2 cartons in a week and the wife would kill one at the time. We would toss most of them in the freezer. If I could have afforded it at the time we would have gotten 150+ cartons on each trip so it would last a year.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Yeah, I remember now. Peek is the one that works best as a high temp insulator. I remember looking it up. It's expensive to buy but you can get small pieces cheap. Offcuts or somesuch.

I don't know anything about 3D printing. Can you take something like an insulator to a shop and have them reproduce it? Do you know what the price range would be?

Hopefully if it's a popular tank you can get replacements on line from either the manufacturer or someplace like FT. Making a custom PEEK insulator for a specific tank would be quite the job and fairly expensive. I guess if you love the tank it would be worth it, but only then.

• Love

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Yeah, when I lived in NY and we would drive to Florida for vacation, on the way back we would always grab 50 cartons in NC. I could kill 2 cartons in a week and the wife would kill one at the time. We would toss most of them in the freezer. If I could have afforded it at the time we would have gotten 150+ cartons on each trip so it would last a year.

You've gotta be careful the trunk isn't pushing the rear down. Cops always pick up folks on 95 smuggling cigarettes up to NY. Explaining away even 50 cartons as "personal use" would have been tough, let alone 150.;)

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Hopefully if it's a popular tank you can get replacements on line from either the manufacturer or someplace like FT. Making a custom PEEK insulator for a specific tank would be quite the job and fairly expensive. I guess if you love the tank it would be worth it, but only then.

It might be possible to spend a couple hundred bucks (less than 1 month of smoking for most) to buy an acceptable CNC machine that can carve the PEEK for you at home. Of course there would be a learning curve for the software and you would need to make exact measurements of the original to create the model in the software. I have not looked into this, so it may not be an option. Just spit balling here.

Last edited:

BigPappa

Ultra Member
Sep 21, 2019
Fort Myers, FL
You've gotta be careful the trunk isn't pushing the rear down. Cops always pick up folks on 95 smuggling cigarettes up to NY. Explaining away even 50 cartons as "personal use" would have been tough, let alone 150.;)
Luckily, we switched to vaping 12 years ago, so that is no longer a concern. :)

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
They're going up everywhere. Still $7 beats around here. I wonder what they are now in the Carolinas. Those were always among the lowest.

Here I saw a sign at our local gas station that Marlboro was 5.45 a pack (I'm sure it would be a little cheaper by the carton). I doubt NC is much cheaper as we aren't in a big city or anything..

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
It might be possible to spend a couple hundred bucks (less than 1 month of smoking for most) to buy an acceptable CNC machine that can carve the PEEK for you at home. Of course there would be a learning curve for the software and you would need to make exact measurements of the original to create the model in the software. I have not looked into this, so it may not be an option. Just spit balling here.
CNC is for Delrin. PEEK is a casting plastic. Might be able to mill PEEK. I don’t know. It will 3d print with a high enough temp printer though.

All of the same problems as a CNC of course and with a CNC you could make a whole RTA.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Plus cigarette smuggling is a classic mob operation in NY. Arrest might not be the worst thing that happens.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
CNC is for Delrin. PEEK is a casting plastic. Might be able to mill PEEK. I don’t know. It will 3d print with a high enough temp printer though.

So for PEEK my mold idea would be better. I guess I should read up on my plastics before I do any of that.

All of the same problems as a CNC of course and with a CNC you could make a whole RTA.

Yes but not with one in the $200 range. Those are typically only rated for "softer" materials like plastics, wood, etc. The metal CNC machines are a LOT more expensive. At least from what I have seen.

• Informative

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
So for PEEK my mold idea would be better. I guess I should read up on my plastics before I do any of that.

Yes but not with one in the $200 range. Those are typically only rated for "softer" materials like plastics, wood, etc. The metal CNC machines are a LOT more expensive. At least from what I have seen.
Haven’t shopped for either myself. As a general rule though cheapo kits are just that though. All kinds of problems. Occasionally there are exceptions. They’re rare though and get popular fast. I was thinking lathe more than CNC metal router. You can do a whole RTA, insulator and all with a lathe. Everything is round.

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
463 lbs of records only sunk the back edge of my rear bumper 1/4" in my turbo SS wagon (310lbs/tq)
The replacement (stock OEM) sport suspension done 2 years ago says it'll be about the same today.
Figure 10 lbs/gallon of Max VG and I should still be undetectable moving a 55 gallon drum.
This is what 463 lbs of free, mostly useless records looks like. That's why they were free. Dur :)
Records2.JPG
Dropped ~1/4"
Records3.JPG

The front tire gap matches the rear. I should have grabbed a picture but IIWII
Records4.JPG

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Enough 100mg/ml nic base is all I need other than enough hardware to last. I bought my first real mech the other day. Electronics fail, but the mech will be the extreme backup. I never saw the need for a mech until now.

In the last month or two I have ordered 6 iStick Picos for my backup collection. I jump on them when I find them for $20 and under. I'm still not through yet. As I find other deals, those will go into the backup collection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread