Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitzdonlife

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2012
Central Texas
missing the atty and the juice.

juice is creatable, sort of. Got to do a NET which is a gigantic pain in the tukus. Also I don’t like them. I don’t need a wta for one.
RDAs are creatable. You don’t even really need a lathe, though it makes them prettier. So are RTAs though they are harder and require advanced equipment.

I agree. I think all vapers who are technically minded should own a m7 x .5 tap and die (510 connection). Also useful is a m1 to m3 tap and die set, for creating positive pins and female threads to accept them. Both sets, if shopped around for, cost $20 total.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Hmm I never knew they worn down considering the insulators don't move. In that case I would buy 4 or 5 of the same RDA and when I got down to last one, I would make a mold of the parts. The I would find suitable material, and use the mold to make more. If it came down to it, I could hand carve new insulator parts from blocks.

As far as the base itself, I am sure I could find a local machine/CNC shop that could replicate the metal parts. Would probably cost more than a clone from FT but way cheaper than smoking for sure. Come to think of it, I could probably find a 3D printer shop to clone the insulator parts as well.
They don’t have to, depending on what they’re made of, but most often they’re made of a type of high temperature plastic and it slowly burns up. Takes a long time. I’ve got one aromamizer plus deck with a toasted insulator already. I’d take it apart but the dang deck is press fitted together so it’s going to be a production. Other higher priority things keep popping up.

Reactions: Opinionated

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
NOTE: I have never ordered anything from Protovapor so I cannot attest to their service or support.
I had two of their DNA20 mods back in the day. The company's owner was active here for a while but never owned up to it and got "moved on", as did many other modders who didn't abide by the forum's supplier rules. Based on my experience with them as a customer five+ years ago, I'd days they were pretty good.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Hmm I never knew they worn down considering the insulators don't move. In that case I would buy 4 or 5 of the same RDA and when I got down to last one, I would make a mold of the parts. The I would find suitable material, and use the mold to make more. If it came down to it, I could hand carve new insulator parts from blocks.

As far as the base itself, I am sure I could find a local machine/CNC shop that could replicate the metal parts. Would probably cost more than a clone from FT but way cheaper than smoking for sure. Come to think of it, I could probably find a 3D printer shop to clone the insulator parts as well.

SHOP

New Delrin blanks and more..

just replace what needs replaced and keep the RDA's going..

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
It looks like this is grandfathered in, does Njoy still exist? One good thing is it took replaceable batts LOL Quit Smoking Products
I looked them up, they are still around and could be the only company with a grandfathered product??
"NJOY is a pioneer in vaping and a leader in a revolution against combustible cigarettes. The brand was founded in 2006 and has continued to serve as an innovator and thought leader in the vaping category"
It all depends if whatever product that was there before 2007 has significantly changed since if they haven't been continuously selling an exact or very similar product (I don't know how strict that is I don't know if it's down to the numbers or if it's yeah that's pretty close) to the original but if it's changed it no longer counts I probably should have looked at the link before I did this but I figure if you're questioning whether they're still around they've probably changed

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
The lozenges and sprays don’t show any better effect than the patches, which is unsurprising because like the patch they treat only the chemical issue. Most people trying to quit cigarettes with ecigs from what I have seen here have already tried one or several of them first. The patch is often particularly problematic because of skin rashes. Also the nic it uses is often at least partially decomposed that I have seen. You can tell by the smell.

The nasal spray is quite effective. Unlike the gum or certainly the patch it delivers a serious nic hit right away. Truthfully more than vaping. The problem is it’s virtually impossible to get off of, is expensive, and requires a prescription, it’s not an OTC product. It was hands down the most effective thing I tried but I was going through a bottle a day and at $40 a bottle at that time wasn’t sustainable after a year of use with no sign of being able to wean off. I’m that addicted to nicotine. And the hand to mouth thing didn’t seem to matter as much as I found it more satisfying than a cigarette. But it was peppery and really did burn my nose and sinuses up.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
The nasal spray is quite effective. Unlike the gum or certainly the patch it delivers a serious nic hit right away. Truthfully more than vaping. The problem is it’s virtually impossible to get off of, is expensive, and requires a prescription, it’s not an OTC product. It was hands down the most effective thing I tried but I was going through a bottle a day and at $40 a bottle at that time wasn’t sustainable after a year of use with no sign of being able to wean off. I’m that addicted to nicotine. And the hand to mouth thing didn’t seem to matter as much as I found it more satisfying than a cigarette. But it was peppery and really did burn my nose and sinuses up.

I agree, I used the spray for a while and it is expensive as well as very irritating.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
3-5 PAD cigarette habit equivalent in the US currently cost wise.
In the jurisdictions with the highest cigarette taxes, yeah. State taxes vary from $0.17 to almost $5.00 per pack. This means prices vary widely. Of course NY, where @Eskie, lives is one of the highest...

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
In the jurisdictions with the highest cigarette taxes, yeah. State taxes vary from $0.17 to almost $5.00 per pack. This means prices vary widely. Of course NY, where @Eskie, lives is one of the highest...
I was basing it on what I’ve seen reported myself which is $8-$14/pack. Not sure how much variance there is in states.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
SHOP

New Delrin blanks and more..

just replace what needs replaced and keep the RDA's going..

I've thought about that. You can get sample size pieces of Delrin fairly cheap. Some of those Delrin insulators are quite complicated shapes. I figure I could make them using small knives and chisels and files and drills. It would take a long time and I suspect there would be a large percentage of failures. But if you were running out of working tanks it might be worth it.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I was basing it on what I’ve seen reported myself which is $8-$14/pack. Not sure how much variance there is in states.
Average retail price per pack ranges from $4.38 in Missouri to $10.45 in New York.
Map of State Cigarette Taxes & Price Per Pack

Note that some local jurisdictions like NYC, Philly, and Chicago have additional taxes of their own. In Philly, for example, there's an additional $2.00 a pack tax on top of the PA's $2.60 and the FedGov's $1.01.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY

I believe Chicago is now the most expensive, outstripping NY by a dollar or so. As to variance, when my daughter was in high school in Jackson MS, I would stock up for about $4 a pack. For college in Houston, it was in the $5 a pack region, which was still a bargain. I always stuffed whatever I could into my luggage on those trips for the return trip home.

Average retail price per pack ranges from $4.38 in Missouri to $10.45 in New York.
Map of State Cigarette Taxes & Price Per Pack

Note that some local jurisdictions like NYC, Philly, and Chicago have additional taxes of their own. In Philly, for example, there's an additional $2.00 a pack tax on top of the PA's $2.60 and the FedGov's $1.01.

NYC is now a minimum price of $13 last I saw. I remember it being ~$12 when I stopped. If you're in a captive audience situation like commuting through Grand Central station and need a pack on either end of your commute, Hudson News, which seems to be in every airport and train station, will nail you for $16.

It's why loosies are common, but illegal, in some neighborhoods in NY. There was the famous case of Eric Garner who ended up choked out while being arrested for selling loose cigarettes.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I believe Chicago is now the most expensive, outstripping NY by a dollar or so. As to variance, when my daughter was in high school in Jackson MS, I would stock up for about $4 a pack. For college in Houston, it was in the $5 a pack region, which was still a bargain. I always stuffed whatever I could into my luggage on those trips for the return trip home.

NYC is now a minimum price of $13 last I saw. I remember it being ~$12 when I stopped. If you're in a captive audience situation like commuting through Grand Central station and need a pack on either end of your commute, Hudson News, which seems to be in every airport and train station, will nail you for $16.

It's why loosies are common, but illegal, in some neighborhoods in NY. There was the famous case of Eric Garner who ended up choked out while being arrested for selling loose cigarettes.
The Jackson number would double the low end (high end?) variance at least. Was it recent?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
7 to 8 years ago. NY prices at the time were about $10.
Time is an issue. Things go up in price but they go up at different rates. Nasal spray is probably more expensive now too. Considering the year on year price increases in pharmaceuticals there’s no telling how much.

I guess we’re just tossing numbers in the air. There are some rough ranges though.

how much does nasal spray cost compared to retail cigarettes? A lot more.

is it more addictive than cigarettes? Unknown but very possibly. On some sort of par at the low end.

Reactions: Eskie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread