Status
Not open for further replies.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Sorry, I forgot that little bit of info, but I start with 93°C as I like a cool vape.
The point is that any temperature that you have set on the screen is more or less arbitrary until it has been calibrated. You're clearly not at 93 Celsius as you'd have no vapor at all at that temperature. I have no doubt that the Hohmtech works, but if you want to know the temperature you're at in order to be safe you need to put in a lot of additional work.

Sent from my Thor E using Tapatalk

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
If you only have one 26650 then your options to check it are limited. Good luck though. You can try a 18650 battery with the sleeve they sent along also, at least I think that they sent a sleeve with the Slice, it's been so long that I forget now.
Just got my 2 in the mail today.....no sleeves included.
:(

SLM

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2015
NE Ohio. USA
Sorry if this is something you already know, but to turn these on use the rectangle button at the very top above the fire button......push and hold.....

And I have only used the 18650's with a sleeve so don't know if it would work without one.

:)

Thanks. Yeah, I know how they work. I usually carry a Wrecker G2. I knew something was off when I first put the battery in it. Took me a second then I realized that the display didn't do anything like it does on the Wrecker. And holding the buttons doesn't do anything. Just completely dead.

• Informative
Reactions: 52anddone

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
slm" data-source="post: 20452103" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
slm said:
I didn't get one either. I could make one if I had a chunk of plastic.
I hope you contact vaporcube and let them know its DOA. Surely they will stand by their product.

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jus outta curio 52, what is your wind config/atty for that set?

I run mostly 454's with KA1/Nextel t.m.c. vert's @ 37.5-50W…
24x2 8/8 2.80mmØ=0.3615Ω, a/f bet 2.75-3mm w/var caps, these can be pushed substantially higher (wound too at the more common 7/64") they're quite cool at this range (~116-150mW/mm²) comp to less watts.

G'luck. :)

Right now, what I'm running is nothing fancy, it's a 5 wrap, 28g Kanthal A-1 single wire, wrap spacing @ +/- 1mm, 3.5mm I.D., 1.33Ω, @ 14-16W, untentioned coil... 28.68 mJ/K (180-200mW/mm²) according to SteamEngine, in my G2 with FSK of 11.0 in xxx Mode set to 93°C. I think I got it all, but might have missed something (just got up from a nap, so am still a bit fuzzy). Oh, and am using KGD wicking in my Siren V1 RTA set with air flow Wide Open for R/DL hits, and use close to this same config on my Slice, maybe a bit +/- (I kind of like the R/DL hits now that I have been trying it that way for some several weeks).

@KenD;
I know that it might not be at the 93°C I have it set to, but it's close enough for what I'm using it for, and a cool vape, like I like, though I have set mine up higher just to experience what that would be like, it's just too warm for me (450°F).

Someone over on the VU forum posted (last year sometime) that it is pretty close to what their DNA mod gave them (that was tested with on the normal Temp settings of Ti, Ni200, SS presets) at the same temp setting, so pretty close is all I need to hear for accuracy Ken. Kanthal/NiCr/or any of the other wires not normally used for Temp Control I have no Idea what the accuracy is of the G2/Slice, I haven't seen anyone that have tested those settings yet, so I would be interested when/if anyone does, as I'm sure the rest here would also. But, accuracy was not my question, it was if HohmTech's devices actually DID DO TC/TL or any form of TC/TL, not how accurate it did it.

Last edited:

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
@KenD;
I know that it might not be at the 93°C I have it set to, but it's close enough for what I'm using it for, and a cool vape, like I like, though I have set mine up higher just to experience what that would be like, it's just too warm for me (450°F).

Someone over on the VU forum posted (last year sometime) that it is pretty close to what their DNA mod gave them at the same temp setting, so pretty close is all I need to hear for accuracy Ken.

You have no idea if it's close enough, that's the point. It's a vape that you like, and that's great, but if you need to know the temperature you have to measure/calibrate it.

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
I can only go by what the screen says Ken, that's all I have now as I don't have any of my old test equipment laying around anymore like I used to, so what I see is what I get. Also it is hard for me to believe that the several different Universities that helped come up with the G2/Slice circuits/software would put out a inaccurate device, maybe a bit +/- of being spot on, but no worse than Evolv or YiHi is putting out. I'm like most here, "I gotta have Faith".

Last edited:

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Just got my 2 in the mail today.....no sleeves included.
:(

After actually looking, I found none that came with mine either, so excuse me for giving out Bad Intel. I obviously was thinking of my Presa TC100's that came with a sleeve. Sorry folks, my Bad. I so hate giving out Bad advice, I'm really sorry.

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
@KenD

The info that you might be leaning on (hence the emphasis on accuracy of the Temperature that different devices put out) has (at least to some extent) been refuted by our Good Old "Dr. F" as shown here;

Farsalinos Exposes Faults in Formaldehyde Vape Studies - Vaping360

I will keep watching though for further developments in this seemingly ongoing conversation.

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
I was just vaping on my G2/Siren combo a few hours ago when I was doing all that posting ^^^ and noticed a slight Off Flavor (like burnt something), I looked down and saw Bone Dry Wick ends in my tank. I'm so used to vaping in Power Mode that for a minute I thought I had burned my wicks and would have to change them out again (I do that all the time with my Sinuous P80/Berserker in Power Mode), but thought heck, I can just fill my Siren up again and be on my way, so that's what I did (I'm still not used to TC/TL'ing Kanthal/NiCr although I have been doing it for over a year now 12-10-16). I TC/TL Kanthal only about less than ½ the time when I vape, so maybe 6 months constantly ?? Anyways, I filled my Siren back up and noticed that same Off Taste for a few pulls (maybe 10-15) and now am getting that Clean, Clear taste I associate with my Menthol/Mint DIY mix. I can only surmise that the Off Taste I was experiencing was from the gunk that had accumulated on my coil that had 10 tank fulls thru it at that point in time (I tend to vape my tanks down quite low, with less than 0.5ml's left in it when I do do a re-fill) and don't give myself much room for error, My Bad. I just wanted to report in that although I use my HohmTech devices in TC/TL mode for Kanthal/NiCr, I guess that I'm still surprised in how well that it does work at keeping someone from Dry Hits, when that someone isn't paying attention like he should to his juice level. Vaping for Dummies I guess. Can I get a Witness ??

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
The point is that any temperature that you have set on the screen is more or less arbitrary until it has been calibrated. You're clearly not at 93 Celsius as you'd have no vapor at all at that temperature. I have no doubt that the Hohmtech works, but if you want to know the temperature you're at in order to be safe you need to put in a lot of additional work.

Unless I've totally missed the point of your exchange with @52anddone …nothing vaporizes at 93C. Ken I seem to recall you or someone posted calibration steps for the HT chip. Do you have a straightforward description or link?

Thanks both and good luck. :)

p.s. Jus now realizing Lorenzo's orig HTS thread was closed trashed (no wonder).

Last edited:
  • Informative

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Unless I've totally missed the point of your exchange with @52anddone …nothing vaporizes at 93C. Ken I seem to recall you or someone posted calibration steps for the HT chip. Do you have a straightforward description or link?

Thanks both and good luck. :)

p.s. Jus now realizing Lorenzo's orig HTS thread was closed trashed (no wonder).
I don't even properly understand how the Hohmtech tc works, can't wrap my head around it [emoji16] The latest discussion on it was in Mike Petro's massive tc thread. Everytime I post something about Hohmtech it's taken as critique (and I totally understand why). It's not though. My point is that, from what I've understood, the Hohmtech devices work in a way that require quite a lot of calibration to make the temperature readings anywhere accurate.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
I don't even properly understand how the Hohmtech tc works, can't wrap my head around it [emoji16] The latest discussion on it was in Mike Petro's massive tc thread. Everytime I post something about Hohmtech it's taken as critique (and I totally understand why). It's not though. My point is that, from what I've understood, the Hohmtech devices work in a way that require quite a lot of calibration to make the temperature readings anywhere accurate.

At best as I see it any tc dev detects res variation to comp or derive an average value for the circuit. Any claims of consistency given the multitude of variables in the real world I believe are optimistic. VW schemes vary in how much extraneous heat and harshness is produced in the vape vs dc (a lot depends on the coil circuit design and execution, I think). How well the chip/prog manages this contributes to how smooth and cool the final output (at whatever the set spec). As a full and cool output signal efficient thermal transfer, for me this is the tell of effective vaporization.

On that score, and purely anecdotally, the Slice (Hohmtech) is A1 in my book in both pwr and fsk mode. Pity the whole thing went sideways as I think Tpat defined a poss constructive line of evolution some time back that made some sense (towards accurate temp indication). Essentially a marriage of the two systems. So I don't understand the criticism (by some) of what could be a complimentary approach.

Good luck. :)

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
I'll have to do some digging to find that description by @Tpat591 and re-read it as a refresher, just for my own sanity. @KenD I didn't realize I was walking into such a Hornets nest when I brought up HohmTech. I felt like a Sheep herder walking into a Cattleman's Assn. Meeting and got my Hackles up immediately, it wasn't you I don't think, but when someone said that HohmTech didn't do TC/TL it really took me aback, and put me on my other nerve, so if I offended you, I apologize. That thread is truly a DNA Fan Boy thread and it's too bad, cause when I think of New vapers stumbling into there they will get Biased info, and not the whole truth like they should get. Rather than digressing into a street fight (although I surely am up to that), I just left, and won't go back. I only want the truth in vaping, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, no Bias. On this we can have a discourse, and maybe I can learn more than before I started. What Mac has said made more sense to me about TC/TL, and I agree with him in quite a bit. I just wish HohmTech had put out more information than they did though, and not left the one's that could understand, in the dark as to just what they were doing, but, intellectual property I think gets in the way here. To Bad too, as I am very interested. But, as @Beamslider just said, it works, somehow.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread