ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston

Dubminer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
As far as I know and since it isn't in the manual. There is no way to lock the wattage. I have not had a problem with it. I do use the TC though.

You might want to either try out the TC mod or try FSK.
The mod is for my wife who only uses a nautilus so no idea if FSK will work with it. Would that not be the same problem anyway if she accidentally hit the + and - buttons? She throws her vape in her handbag etc. I just need to have a safe as vape as possible for her. She is not the best at checking settings.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
The mod is for my wife who only uses a Nautilus so no idea if FSK will work with it. Would that not be the same problem anyway if she accidentally hit the + and - buttons? She throws her vape in her handbag etc. I just need to have a safe as vape as possible for her. She is not the best at checking settings.

Very easy to lock the device. Just hold the +/- and then turn back on the same way. Better to do that I would think if just thrown into a purse. Quick and easy and not accidental fire button presses. I lock before sticking it into my coat pocket.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Very easy to lock the device. Just hold the +/- and then turn back on the same way. Better to do that I would think if just thrown into a purse. Quick and easy and not accidental fire button presses. I lock before sticking it into my coat pocket.
I never lock my devices. My purse pocket or back jeans pocket both keep them from twisting to where the buttons could be pressed.

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
I too have never had any problems with messing up my settings. It shouldn't be a problem to just take the mod out, tap the fire button, and have a look-see at the settings, I will do that on occasion myself, It just takes less than a second, and after a few days she will know if she has to be extra careful or not.

Dubminer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
I too have never had any problems with messing up my settings. It shouldn't be a problem to just take the mod out, tap the fire button, and have a look-see at the settings, I will do that on occasion myself, It just takes less than a second, and after a few days she will know if she has to be extra careful or not.
Yes hopefully. It is weird though, never seen a mod where you can’t lock the adjustment and still vape before.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
That +/- blocks the entire fire button and the controls. So you can't vape without unlocking it by holding them again to unlock. takes 2 seconds. Not a big deal for me. The buttons are also far enough apart so that pushing them accidentally while vaping is unlikely

I think they didn't include a watt lock only function because it isn't really designed as a wattage mod.

Dubminer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
That +/- blocks the entire fire button and the controls. So you can't vape without unlocking it by holding them again to unlock. takes 2 seconds. Not a big deal for me. The buttons are also far enough apart so that pushing them accidentally while vaping is unlikely

I think they didn't include a watt lock only function because it isn't really designed as a wattage mod.
So if i use the other modes besides wattage i can lock the adjustment buttons and still vape?

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Not really, if you use TC use can set the display to Temp or watts priority showing. In Temp display the watts set are up at the top. pushing the + or minus would still change set temp but not the watts. The reverse is true if the Watts display is primary, then the temp is at the top and pushing the + or - would change the wattage. Those don't apply if you set it to auto control for wattage in TC then it shows changeable temp and you can't change wattage. You can switch between those modes in TC by hitting fire button 3 time.

I haven't played with FSK much but that would probably be harder to change inadvertantly

jesem

Jul 1, 2014
Ohio
I'm a little different from you @jesem. I have (3) Slice ((1) Black and (2) Silver, all SE's) and (5) Wrecker G2's (SE's and LE's). I live up here in the Frozen North of Minnesota, and when it's winter time up here and go outside I have found I will have to re-adjust my settings (FSK curve) some when using a new coil/wick combo that has less than say (2-3) tank fulls thru it. After about that, I don't seem to have any problems with re-adjusting my FSK curve. Keep in mind that going from about 68°F-70°F inside, to below freezing to -30°F outside is quite a Big change, but even then, once your build is "cured" (after about 2-3 tank fulls) you shouldn't have any problems with having to re-adjust your FSK curve.

FYI ; I find that I am in xxx Mode ALL of the time, I don't even go into the preset Kanthal or other Modes at all, as I find xxx Mode will fire most any build and any configuration that you can put into an Atomizer as long as it is an Electrically sound build. I have seen posted where folks have built and put in builds that were 0.05Ω with a Single coil, double coil, triple coil, Single wire build, Double wire build (Twisted/Parallel), Clapton wire build, Staggerd Clapton, Vertical, Horizontal, even a Single wire Single coil KGD/Rayon and #350 SS Mesh build (that would be in an Fev Clone RTA Atomizer) and it worked Great. All with Kanthal or NiCr wire and in TC/TL. Do THAT with an DNA or YiHi board. (there I go again):rolleyes:

I first set my Temp to the lowest number (I like a cool vape, so 93°C or 200°F), then I will set my FSK curve to where it just fires the build (that means with taking a hit, because air flow matters in setting up properly), then set it up a little more so I don't have to continually fiddle with re-adjusting it all the time, ex: If it fires my build at an FSK of 5 (and I get a good hit), I will set it to 6 with a New build and wick in my RTA. Then I will re-adjust as needed and go up another whole number to say 7 when 6 gets weak or doesn't fire my build after a time. After about the first tank full I will find that I don't have to re-adjust but about once or twice more till I get to tank full 2 or 3, then I will be alright till I have to re-wick again, about tank full #21 (with my Siren V1) when I get that off taste.

When I re-wick, I will set my FSK back to a number that makes it first fire again and I get a Good hit, then go up 1 full number and leave it there till the wick seasons again and I have to readjust up. It sounds complicated and fiddly, but really isn't, it's not anymore than a YiHi or DNA with Ti or Ni200. You could use SS, Kanthal or NiCr in either Power or TC/TL modes with the Slice and G2.

For TC/TL'ing Kanthal/NiCr wire (Single Strand or Twisted, Clapton or even more Exotic, and Single coil or Multiple coils) the HohmTech Slice and Wrecker G2 are The Only Game in Town. And they work Great !!

I know, I sound like a "Fan Boy", but I'm not, I'm just relaying what I personally have done and what I have seen others post that they have done with these HohmTech Slice and Wrecker G2's, not only on this forum, but what I have seen posted on other forums as well.
Thanks for the Post, 52anddone! I tried your method and it really does work pretty well. Actually , I'm not sure we're going about it all that different. Always using a stainless steel coil, I start with my temperature at 420 and set my FSk to get the power / wattage curve that gives me the best vape. When I followed your method, starting off at 200 degrees, I just had to increase my FSK to get basically the same power curve.

For the last few months I've begun to standardize my coil setup and this is helped get the kind of consistency you talk about. I noticed too that I have to slightly adjust the FSK when a coil is breaking in.

Thanks again for your insight... It's great to hear how another long time slice user manages the device

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
So if the watts were set at primary it would not matter if they were pressed up it would still keep it at the same temperature. That sounds like a plan if i can get her off the Nautilus.

That should work as long as you don't go into the advanced menu and turn on the auto options and just use the straight TC mode

Dubminer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
That should work as long as you don't go into the advanced menu and turn on the auto options and just use the straight TC mode
Thank you. Do you think it would be possible to use a stock Nautilus BVC coil in any other mode than wattage? Or are the other modes more for rebuildables.

Reactions: 52anddone

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco

Dubminer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
The standard ones are Kanthal but they are available in NI-200 which is a TC metal. But you can only use the NI-200 in TC mode never wattage only.

Nautilus BVC Nickel TSC Coil - 5pk
I should of been more clear. She only uses the 1.8 ohms which I believe are kanthal. I will have to try them in another mode. What mode should i try beside wattage?

Reactions: 52anddone
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread