Homemade Snus with Rustica Tobacco Leaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

exogenesis

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2009
UK
Haven't posted for a while, but couldn't resist this one :blink:

Reason is cos it's probably decahydrate, so if it is it contains a lot of water,

:glug:

i.e. you need to use around 2.5x the weight (apparently 4.5 x the volume) for the same alkalinity.

Print Page - Making Your Own Washing Soda [Sodium Carbonate] Out of Baking Soda [Sodium BiCarbonate]

Or... you could dry it out in the oven - Oh wait.

Hey, new emo's since I last posted, hours of fun...

(didn't mean to sound negative about your good idea WerkIt, it's just a thought)

Last edited:

WerkIt

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2009
Haven't posted for a while, but couldn't resist this one :blink:

Reason is cos it's probably decahydrate, so if it is it contains a lot of water,

:glug:

'Probably?' It sure is an awfully dry powder, which makes one wonder how it could contain water.

Why make it when you can buy it 100% pure?

Or... you could dry it out in the oven - Oh wait.

It's pointless to dry it out when it's already dry, isn't it?

exogenesis

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2009
UK
OK, ok, wasn't looking for a fight, just that I think most Washing Soda is the decahydrate.
Maybe this one isn't ?

If you've got some, try weighing some, shoving it in the oven & re-weighing it, to see whether it's 'wet' or not.

Not that it really matters..I guess you could account for the extra water in 'rustica snus recipe'.

Actually got a sneaking suspicion Vaporer is using bicarb anyway now.

exogenesis

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2009
UK
Ah, sorry it was just me mis-reading between the lines.

Maybe nicotine in snuff doesn't need to be as much freebase cos the nasal membranes
are so much thinner (closer to blood capilliaries) than gum tissue ?

Unfortunately it seems I can see the Wagon trundling way off in the distance,
can't seem to get back in the snus habit, maybe when I start hacking again I'll get back in.

Vaporer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
Away..
Never a problem exo.
I wondered abt that and also the fact the mouth is much more moist and it needs to get adsorbed ASAP before swallowing occurs. Leaning it to freebase would support that. Wonder what nasal pH is? Seemed very odd that even companies just grind and flavor for snuff. But, it can have a good whack in it.

Do, what you need to do to keep sane. I'm doing ok with the snus. Got 4 buckets stored (SnusX) and plants are outside now. Another set of plants are coming along to follow. Learned a lot there. I have flavors ordered so after summer I can continue with the homemade stuff. Snus & snuff. Dred has me a couple Prismaster coming for los which may work well if I make any snus worth doing. lol I also got 2 pkgs of Vietnamese tobacco leaf Taouc Lao from Patrick at Toque. Its seems very much like Rustica and reviews say it kicks like a mule. Worth having around for experimenting before it costs me more!

Vaporer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
Away..
WerkIt,
My one little local store didnt have Washing Soda. I put 10gms of baking soda in for a couple hrs and coming out it weighed in the 6.??gm range, Right at what the conversion should be. Wife had a 20lb bag here. lol

What I noticed was that baking soda seems to be small spheres. After heating its more fine like talc. It seems to be no dryer...only finer. Just an observation, but it worked for my situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread