Status
Not open for further replies.

spw11

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 15, 2012
Texas
ok... I think I know what the shoulder washers are. Looking at a cross-section they would look like a 'T'. I thought you wanted the coil to get sooty or gunky? (As you say... I'll learn :blush:) I tried tape over the air hole with a smaller hole punched into that... It didn't seem to work too well. Again... I'll learn.

Glad to hear you're headed in the right direction... And thanks!

spw11

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 15, 2012
Texas
emonty..... Very nice looking gear and images on your site. :thumbs:

Tierra, happy to hear it working better for you.....!!!!!!!

So with those shoulder washers you can use a thicker wick right and basically if the wick is 100% oxidized you don't even need the insulator or the washers and can use more mesh....

tierrataz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2011
soCal
ok... I think I know what the shoulder washers are. Looking at a cross-section they would look like a 'T'. I thought you wanted the coil to get sooty or gunky? (As you say... I'll learn :blush:) I tried tape over the air hole with a smaller hole punched into that... It didn't seem to work too well. Again... I'll learn.

Glad to hear you're headed in the right direction... And thanks!
Sorry I meant to type wick. Being on phone sux! You are correct on the shoulder washers. It's what I had readily available that fit. Coils do need to be gunked a little, too much is not good. You don't want the portion of the wick in the tank gunked. All that does is darken juice and tastes bad. Now don't get me wrong. There can be a little darkening because of the heat the wick distibutes in the tank during firing. It should be minimal. Mine was not.

tierrataz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2011
soCal
Tierra, happy to hear it working better for you.....!!!!!!!

So with those shoulder washers you can use a thicker wick right and basically if the wick is 100% oxidized you don't even need the insulator or the washers and can use more mesh....

No. Looks to be similar size. I don't like too much mesh anyway. Less mesh seems to produce better flavor for me. Why I cut my mesh to 18mm width. Correct, properly oxidized mesh does not need isolators. Ask any Orion owner. ;-)

tierrataz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2011
soCal
Argh. Trying a 4 wrap.. Remove coil..the whole center post "sleeve"came off the center post screw instead of just the screw you tighten the coil with... Can't get the screw undone to save my life... Shoot.
Rut roh! Sorry, I don't know what to tell you. Is the sleeve still off? My wrench for the top doesn't fit well. I used another from a set I have. Maybe try that?

MrAftrmth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2011
LosAngeles
i don't have a zen yet.. got a question for anyone that can help out..
just how far is the tip of the screw to the top of the chamber on the mini? A good friend of mine owns a custom shop that makes wheels from 19"-30" any design from scratch. I might experiment on a smaller chamber on the mini from the mayhem.

stock cap when im out, bell cap for performance! who knows..

:evil::evil::evil:

kcos

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2011
Rochester, NY
mawnco.com
agbirthday2.gif

Ripple and Bart and bradstaj

Last edited:

spw11

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 15, 2012
Texas
Could you use a set of pliers to hold the sleeve (with some leather or rubber between the jaws and the sleeve to keep from scratching it up) and then the allen wrench to loosen the screw?

Rut roh! Sorry, I don't know what to tell you. Is the sleeve still off? My wrench for the top doesn't fit well. I used another from a set I have. Maybe try that?

Last edited:

antism

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2009
Chicago Suburbs
Lots of birthdays today! :toast: Happy Bday to Ripple, bradstaj and Bart007! This vape's for you! :vapor:

:laugh: yep, not my first rodeo!

To clarify, YES I am using isolators (lines the wick hole to keep wick from touching body and shorting if not oxidized properly). I couldn't use the Teflon tube because it as fused (melted) to the I stalled wick. I used what I had which was shoulder washers that function the same.

I made my own wick with my own mesh and oxidation method. The wick installed was really sooty making my light juice really dark. That should have been my first clue. ;-)

It is MUCH better. I am still restricting the air intake also.

Don't worry, you will learn. :)

I really want to get working on creating my own wicks and wrapping coils. Still waiting on mesh for now, and I really don't want to waste the coil I've got now. I think a 3/4 wrap will end up doing it for me though. The 4/5 is a bit cool for my taste.

tierrataz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2011
soCal
i don't have a zen yet.. got a question for anyone that can help out..
just how far is the tip of the screw to the top of the chamber on the mini? A good friend of mine owns a custom shop that makes wheels from 19"-30" any design from scratch. I might experiment on a smaller chamber on the mini from the mayhem.

stock cap when im out, bell cap for performance! who knows..

:evil::evil::evil:

It's really close!

vampiir

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Idaho
Does it move at all? Wonder if a bit of kanthal got in the threads. If it will move a little, try going both directions. Worst case, vice grips with some padding like those rubber jar opener sheets.

It isn't moving at all...

I tried pliers and electricians tape is all i found around the house to use for rubber so far. No dice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread