How Confident Are You In Kanthal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
An the replies to you - it is nickel. A truck ton of people are allergic to nickel. I always wondered if the nickel was the allergen. I know people "claim" there's nickel in Nichrome but I'm not material analyst nor a material expert, so just because it says - "This product contains nickel..." in my head, I go "yup, got it, contains nickel..." and use it anyways. Which is part of the reason I rolled to Nichrome 80. Apparently the only thing I'm allergic to is morphine... and possibly any other narcotic / drug that uses opium as a base. Just an FYI.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I always suggest Kanthal A1 (KA1) as well. Only because some people have an allergy to something in the Nichrome type wires. Some taste metal from Nichrome based wires which might be an indicator of said allergy. Is it fact? No, but almost more times than not, an allergy to something in vaping - be it wire, wick, or juice should start off in the tongue / nose / throat area. For example... my friend is allergic to PG - and when he vapes anything that has PG in it, he claims it makes the inside of his mouth taste as if he just consumed a glass of alcohol. Does everyones body work like that? Probably not, but if he continues to consume anything with PG in it, it then develops into stomach cramps and nausea. I also suggest KA1 because of its resistance. I don't immediately send - nor would I want to - new builders straight for Nichrome because I want them to build safe. And with KA1 - I usually suggest 26 or 28AWG wire to start in RDA's and 28 - 32AWG on tanks as a general rule of thumb. 24AWG and lower is not in my vocabulary for new builders or those interested in starting to build.

Seems Fair to Me.

And when it comes to the Subjectiveness of Taste, seems like there Doesn't Need to be any Facts involved. Or Scientific/Medical Explanation.

A Person either Likes Something, has No Opinion, or they Don't.

Same with PG. I know Some People who tell me they Can't Handle ANY PG in their DIY e-Liquids. That the Slightest Amount makes them Sick. I don't have the Heart to tell them that the Flavors they are using are PG Based. And at 15% Flavoring, they are adding about +12% PG.

Figure it would just Freak them Out. And if they are Happy, and are Not Smoking, what is the Difference anyway?

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Reactions: Ryedan

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
I'm not worried about it. I don't vape at temperatures hot enough to vaporize Kanthal, and the possibility of inhaling micrograms of metal particles honestly isn't a concern. I keep my coils wet, so I really can't see how any particles could be carried in the vapor stream.

Ya know what? If they could ban or restrict kanthal, vapers would go to something else, and then they would ban or restrict sales of that too. Anything to stop vaping. It's not about what's bad for you, that's not what they care about, it's about WHAT YOU ENJOY!

I've got roughly 2000 feet of Kanthal, Nichrome, and Ni200 wire stocked up. Based on my useage rate, that should last till I get into a good nursing home.

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
Then there you go. Dry burning nichrome is bad - actually dry burning anything whilst holding it to your face is bad. As residual juice and / or cotton may catch fire, fumes may be given off, or something pops off your atomizer and hits you in the face. Again, down to safety again. As far as dry burning nichrome, I don't do it. Not because of the potentially dangerous side effects, but because the wire is so soft - the less mistakes you make with it, the less likely you'll have issues with it. I always keep spaces between my coils and the posts as well as I cut my leads with flush wire cutters.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I'm not worried about it. I don't vape at temperatures hot enough to vaporize Kanthal, and the possibility of inhaling micrograms of metal particles honestly isn't a concern. I keep my coils wet, so I really can't see how any particles could be carried in the vapor stream.

I've got roughly 2000 feet of Kanthal, Nichrome, and Ni200 wire stocked up. Based on my useage rate, that should last till I get into a good nursing home.

Damn... 2000 Feet.

Rats-a-Rot of Coils.

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
Damn... 2000 Feet.

Rats-a-Rot of Coils.
I'm a horrible shopper. I stock up on all kinds of crazy stuff. The good thing about Kanthal (unlike cans of tomato paste) is that Kanthal won't go bad!

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Then there you go. Dry burning nichrome is bad - actually dry burning anything whilst holding it to your face is bad. As residual juice and / or cotton may catch fire, fumes may be given off, or something pops off your atomizer and hits you in the face. Again, down to safety again. As far as dry burning nichrome, I don't do it. Not because of the potentially dangerous side effects, but because the wire is so soft - the less mistakes you make with it, the less likely you'll have issues with it. I always keep spaces between my coils and the posts as well as I cut my leads with flush wire cutters.

Yeah... Breathing the Fumes of ANY Coil Alloy while Dry Burning is Bad.

But this is Really Nothing New. Any Welder or person who Cuts Metal with a Torch can tell you about Breathing Metal Fumes.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I'm a horrible shopper. I stock up on all kinds of crazy stuff. The good thing about Kanthal (unlike cans of tomato paste) is that Kanthal won't go bad!

I here you.

I throw in a 50 Pack of these (or a Different Ohm) on every FT Order I do.

$2.18 Pre-Coiled Wires for RBA RDA RTA Rebuildable Atomizers (50-Pack) 50-pack - 29 AWG / 1.3ohm / 0.3mm dia. / 15*15mm leads / 6 loops at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Must have about 10 Those 50-Pack Bags laying around.

LOL

Reactions: K_Tech
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread