How difficult was it for you to quit smoking after switching to vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniele25

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2012
phoenix
It was much easier for me than I thought it was going to be. I smoked 1.5 to 2 packs a day for about 16 years, never made any progress trying to quit with other methods. I couldn't even get through a half day without lighting up those times i "tried to quit." When i started vaping I expected a difficult transition, but that was not the case at all. It took be about 2 to 3 weeks to fully transition, for me is was about the juice. Once I got a juice that I really loved, and stopped fumbling with pre-filled cartos and whatnot, I was completely satisfied. So much so, that I lit up later that same night that the juices arrived, and that cigarette tasted so disgusting compared to the awesome juice I was vaping that day, so i put it out, tossed the rest of the pack, and haven't smoked since! (6.5 months ago!)

Neya

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2012
MA
Also an easy transition for me. At first I was nervous, and I didnt have juices I could vape all day. So I vaped and cut down (a lot!) I didn't stress myself about how many analogs I smoked, I just had one went I felt like it, and vaped when I felt like it. went from about 15-20 analogs a day to 2-5 almost immediately.

Then just stopped caring for analogs in general.
Way easier than my cold turkey attempt (which lasted a couple years, but damn... that was hard... hard hard hard! This many days in I was practically crying). But with vaping, I'm doing OK. And I dont feel sick or anything like I did with patches, lozenges, chantix.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
But the Nicotrol deposits ALL of its nicotine into your mouth and throat, which is a slow method of nicotine absorption because it has to be absorbed through your mouth, through your blood, and its effect is greatly diminished that way, so it takes about 10 minutes to even take effect and reduce cravings. But e-cigs seem to put nicotine into my system almost immediately, so some of it must be getting down into our lungs as a result of being vaporized. I'm sure a lot is also absorbed through the mouth and throat too, but some must be getting into the lungs, because it reduces craving MUCH quicker than those Nicotrol inhalers did!
According to every study I've seen the nicotine from electronic cigarettes is absorbed pretty much the same as NRT products.
In other words, MUCH more slowly than from cigarette smoke.

My guess is that the reduction in cravings is coming more from the actions and habit of smoking than it is from nicotine absorption.

JENerationX

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2011
Rochester, NY
I used e-cigs exclusively for 4 months, then found myself smoking again because of a family crisis. It was just easier to pick up a pack and a lighter than to worry about making sure I was charged packing juice etc. I also had a hell of a time with cravings during the time I was vaping. This time around, I didn't quit smoking. I just started vaping and did both. Eventually I realized I preferred the vape to the smoke. Last time I lit a cigarette, I got through 4 puffs and threw up.

damthisisfun

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2012
Katy, TX
Smoked for 27 years a pack a day. Tried to quit several times - used the patch, lozenge, gum, wellbutrin - always went back to smoking. Didnt wanna try Chantix cause of all the side affects I had heard. A friend and I at work (both smokers) had been talking for about a year to get em ecigs and try to quit. Well - about 7 months ago she got herself a Blu disposable. Let me puff on it - asked her to get me one. I think I kept that in my car for about 4 months - vaped when I couldnt smoke (kids in the car). Meanwhile she bought the Blu kit and quit smoking. I went ahead and bought a Prosmoke kit. It came about 3 months and a day ago. Had my last M light in the morning when I woke - and then vaped. Also bought the N gum and chewed that sometimes (still have several left). I still feel the urge to sometimes smoke - but I vape instead. I hope I never touch an analog again. I hope our govt doesnt do something stupid like making em illegal or start taxing the crap outta em......thanks to my friend at work and lets me not forget my brother who also quit and told me to try em ecigs, folks on youtube and here - I am a vaper and I am proud of it..........VAPE ON..........

xanderxman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2012
Ptown, VA
I smoked a pack a day for 20 years. As soon as I opened my first vaping setup I never had another cigarette. I am feeling better now than I have in a long time. I do not have the urge to smoke but I find myslef looking for something to do with all the spare time I have. I never smoked in my house due to my children and wife, so I spent a lot of time outside. I keep joking with my wife that now I don't know what is happening in the neighborhood.

damthisisfun

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2012
Katy, TX
I smoked a pack a day for 20 years. As soon as I opened my first vaping setup I never had another cigarette. I am feeling better now than I have in a long time. I do not have the urge to smoke but I find myslef looking for something to do with all the spare time I have. I never smoked in my house due to my children and wife, so I spent a lot of time outside. I keep joking with my wife that now I don't know what is happening in the neighborhood.

lol - yeah - I agree - plus my dog hates me know - she knew when it was time for me to go outside n smoke - she would be waiting at the door - she still does it - been 3 months since i have been outside to smoke - but for her - I still will go out n vape once in a while....

xanderxman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2012
Ptown, VA
lol - yeah - I agree - plus my dog hates me know - she knew when it was time for me to go outside n smoke - she would be waiting at the door - she still does it - been 3 months since i have been outside to smoke - but for her - I still will go out n vape once in a while....

I know what you mean. My dogs are still getting used to my vaping indoors. They still get confused when I reach into my pocket like I am going to smoke but pull out my PV instead and stand around watching TV to vape. I never thought about the impact vaping would have on my dogs. :)

damthisisfun

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2012
Katy, TX
I know what you mean. My dogs are still getting used to my vaping indoors. They still get confused when I reach into my pocket like I am going to smoke but pull out my PV instead and stand around watching TV to vape. I never thought about the impact vaping would have on my dogs. :)

Dogs are something else - lets make sure PETA doesnt read this and force us to start smoking again........lol

HighlanderNorth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2012
Mid Atlantic USA
In my mind I vape now instead of smoking. I know myself, I was never going to "quit smoking", no matter how much I thought I should, or thought I needed to, or knew I needed to. The problem was I didn't want to, and to me if I didnt really want to, any efforts to quit were never going to be successful. In my mind I haven't quit anything I just do this instead. Was no problem putting the smokes down and walking away, don't feel as if Ive given up anything, maybe gained a hobby ;) I'm sure it's different for everyone, but it's working for me.
I would also +1 thinkingaboutit on backups. I bought what I consider to be a high quality and dependable pv(if somewhat overpriced;). I still make sure I have backups, I have no problem vaping and not smoking. However if I could not vape for some reason, after 25 years of smoking I know I could access cigarettes in about 7 minutes, so I try to stay fully prepared, backup device(s), batteries, cartos/atty's etc. I make sure I don't put myself in a position where Im testing my "resolve", I'll flunk that test ;)

^^This.... This is probably more true of my situation than I'd like to admit, as I'd rather say "I quit smoking!" But like you said, I may have quit analogs, but I didnt quit putting a cylindrical device up to my mouth and sucking a smoke-like substance containing nicotine into my system! Granted its a lot healthier than tobacco, but its still kinda the same thing from a nicotine and hand to mouth fetish standpoint. Thats probably why my Mom keeps saying "well, you wont be doing that for long(vaping), you should use it temporarily while lowering your nicotine intake then you can quit using that 'device' too". I really dont have any plans to quit vaping soon to be honest.

AS far as quitting cigs, I only decided to buy the e-cigs kits and try to quit smoking because my family has been bugging me about it for a long time, and my slightly naive mother heard from a neighbor that a hypnotist was coming to town who helped him quit smoking. He supposedly helps people both lose weight and stop smoking. I dont believe in that stuff at all, and didnt want to blow $50 to sit with 1000 other people who are all "supposedly" being hypnotized, but my Mom is willling to try anything I guess, so I agreed to look into it. That is, until I forgot all about it! Needless to say, she was disappointed.

So I decided to look into this as a better option, and it has been. Its cost more than the hypnotist, but it surely works better! My family is happy too. So, when it comes right down to it, I didnt do this because 'I' wanted to at first, I did it for other people initially, but now its for me!

rob79

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2012
Canada
As a total noob to vaping (just ordered my first one, didn't even get it yet) this story really hits home. I've smoked for 15ish years (I'm 32), and only managed to quit for an extended period of time once. Same deal, it was with a nicotine inhaler, but it was disgusting. After about six months, since the inhalers cost as much as cigarettes anyway, I just went back to cigarettes because the taste of the inhalers was so bad. I know that they're made like that to discourage continuous use, but after 2-3 tries of moving down to the lower strengths I just couldn't handle it.

The fact that I've read a few stories on ECF about how people quit smoking analogs, without ever intending to, after moving on to vaping has me so stoked for this little experiment. I hope that I can come back here in a couple of weeks and say the same thing - I just made the switch.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

pianoguy

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2009
Apple Valley, MN
Any cravings I had were pretty mild - the worst was after Thanksgiving dinner that year, which was just a couple weeks after I started vaping. But I made it through that and never really had a problem. I kept cigarettes handy for quite a while - I figured they were always going to be around to tempt me, so I may as well get used to it. And they were a security blanket - I never felt any panic about not having cigarettes, since they were right there if I wanted one. I just chose not to have any. There are still a couple of dusty old packs out in the garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread