How do you define high end?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gregjl

Sep 20, 2018
New Jersey
I'm not quite sure "high end" is fully definable. I mean, I've seen pics of an ego battery encrusted with Swarovski crystals and a price tag in the 12K range. It didn't even look like it would be enjoyable to HOLD, let alone vape. I guess to... someone... that would be considered a high end (or at least a status symbol) type of vape. I sure hope it was "one of a kind" as well but who knows.

That's the thing there are "good" vapes or even "awesome vapes" that can be had for far less money and are going to perform a billion times better, but I think that "high end" does/must hold some kind of price tag attached for the concept to work.

There are expensive vape items that are produced in fairly high quantities, that cost a fair amount of money that are easily obtainable enough and popular enough that folks will buy them, like Kayfuns and Kabukis, and while I would call them very nice gear indeed but I'm not sure I'd even call them high end, either due to their availability and whatnot.

I mean, I kind of am struggling to define it and of course a Yihi is nicer than a smok mod and you pay for that, but I almost want to insert these criteria (which are entirely subjective).
1. Price tag makes me want to faint
2. Picture makes me drool
3. Sometimes you have to pay ahead of time and then the company "makes" your mod, not the other way around
4. (Maybe) the ability to customize, or select personal options
5. I would have to save up for more than 6 months to buy one.
6. I agree the "high end" market is always shifting depending on what is popular, how vaping has changed, etc.

With that said, I don't consider most or even all of my gear to be high end, but it certainly is compared to some folks. I mean, most everyone can afford a Siren, it's emphatically not high end, it's one of my favorite tanks. I am also a fan of my two Kabukis and I most emphatically believe that there are plenty of folks who wouldn't buy one, let alone two.

So it's just super hard to say.

I will say, if/when I get my hands on a Dicodes mod I will consider it "high end" but like it does meet many of my critera above.

Anna
I had to internet search Dicodes, never heard of them. Nice looking stuff and they make their own wire! The U.S. is not even a shop partner of theirs. I guess we prefer stuff made cheaply?

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
I fear I also remember (in my very good memory for such things) some people having full scale meltdowns when they couldn't get items repaired/replaced - "warrantied", or whatever you call it.
That must have been a US thing, here they had nothing but the very best customer service. Maybe with an official US store things have changed?

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
you can fit 100 New Jerseys in a Germany
...but would they like it here?
manta.jpg

240_F_59014780_8rTJ9UdNYvsmx0L8O5JOA2TGfKxHckba.jpg

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
"High End" is going to be Subjective! When I think of a Billet Box, an authentic Kay-Fun, Tiafun, Provari, Reo. To me these are just quality pieces, worth the money spent :)

Lets face it, there are mods in the $750 to $1,000 + price range, this to me is "High End"
Also IMO, Not! worth spending the money on :(
I don't have any mods I would consider "High End"
I do have a Billet Box with Stab Wood Panels & an Ohm Man Drip Tip. IMO Worth the Money :)

Vape Magoo

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2017
"High End" is going to be Subjective! When I think of a Billet Box, an authentic Kay-Fun, Tiafun, Provari, Reo. To me these are just quality pieces, worth the money spent :)

Lets face it, there are mods in the $750 to $1,000 + price range, this to me is "High End"
Also IMO, Not! worth spending the money on :(
I don't have any mods I would consider "High End"
I do have a Billet Box with Stab Wood Panels & an Ohm Man Drip Tip. IMO Worth the Money :)

I pretty much agree with that. But... although I found issues with the Kayfun clones, I have also found others with the same complaints about the authentic. Irony is clone Nautilus and coils, Siren V2 and SMOK H-Priv 2 have proven hassle free and all are on the low end side.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
JMHO, what a high end mod should be

1) Quality craftsmanship, the maker takes the time, caring, attention, and love/desire to express a work of "Pride and Passion" in what they are creating, this can apply to any product on the market outside of vape gear
2) Quality components. There are many mass produced products that though low price point due to the make more money the more units pumped out and sold, the components assembled together are all of a high quality and the Quality Control (QC) in place to stop substandard work leaving the production line. Example the original Sigelei 150watt box mod, though many consider/considered it not a high end mod, at the time it was pushing envelopes and limits, but 80 to 90% of the entire production line lasted, was durable, some still running to this day, which leads to #3
3) Durability and Reliability. A high end mod should last, able to take a modicum of abuse and still work, months, even years after manufacture, like the Sig150 example, an end user literally had to take a sledge hammer most times to kill a Sig150 in a short period of time
4) As much detail that went into the exterior casing/main assembly, the same attention to detail needs apply to the internals of the device, from the control board to the battery sled, to the wiring, to the connector, example here if a mod looks pretty, unique, a lot detail paid to the exterior, yet the internals and smaller things were cheap garbage, it may look pretty, but it works like garbage, falls apart, or quits working shortly after purchase, say like the Smok Alien220 (garbage control board that dies right after the warranty is up) or the original iJoy Capitan (battery door) as examples, nice artwork and asthetics, but garbage on the components
5) The maker stands behind their warranty, as the old saying goes, your word is your bond, if you can't stand behind a warranty you offer as statement of the quality or craftsmanship you are offering, knowing your sub-par craftsmanship and pride in your own work is lacking, and/or the end consumer has to jump through dozens of hoops to meet the criteria for a warranty, then the warranty and your bond is garbage as well

I have several mods I consider as high end to me, again as stated above opinion is subjective to the person.

My Sig150, was an inexpensive mod, but still runs to this day and can still outperform quite a few if not majority of recent mods on the market.
My Voopoo Drag, solid mod, nice asthetics, great battery sled, and the Genie Chipset one of the top 3 control boards on the market atm IMO
A mod using an Evolv DNA chipset, Yihi SX chipset board, or a custom OEM board that can equal the Cadillac standards of control boards, nice asthetic looking casing, and is durable

You do not need a high end price to have a high end mod IMO, if a mod was cheap and inexpensive price wise and still running months, even years down the road, higher quality standards is a higher quality built product if you ask me, a $500 USD price tag mod, should have components, durability, staying power and endurance to warrant that $500 USD price tag, not just a pretty piece of art that will be a paper weight 3 or 6 months down the road.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I mean the girlfriend.

I would like to see a picture of the girlfriend to determine how "high end" she is, like seriously.

Some video, so I can assess whether she's hot/smart hot/dumb hot/pretending to be dumb would be ideal although I'm afraid if she's into that mod, I sort of automatically am going to slot her into the middle one, because that is incredibly... useless.

Anna

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I would like to see a picture of the girlfriend to determine how "high end" she is, like seriously.

Some video, so I can assess whether she's hot/smart hot/dumb hot/pretending to be dumb would be ideal although I'm afraid if she's into that mod, I sort of automatically am going to slot her into the middle one, because that is incredibly... useless.

Anna

Any girlfriend who's getting stuff like that is high end. Trust me.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Last edited:
Reactions: 440BB

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
They don't really wear lederhosen there?
Nope, outside of Bavaria you'll not see very many people wearing one (well, at least not the traditional one you're thinking of, eg some hunters and carpenters wear long legged leather pants but I wouldn't count that) except as a carnival or Oktoberfest costume. Some gun clubs may also choose to have them in their uniform (a German gun club is more of a drinking party compared to the US).
The Nazis tried to make Lederhosen into an all German national costume so that didn't help spreading them in the long run either.

Probably similar to the 'Murican-Cowboys stereotype.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread