The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

how fast does your ecig pay for it self?

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by atrav1sty, Jun 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. atrav1sty

atrav1sty Full Member

May 18, 2013
    SO-CAL
    Ok it's been about a month since I've made the switch from analogs although not seeing much of a difference in my bank account (keep buying mods and tanks) I was curious on how long it would take someone to start (in a sense) making a profit when switching to ecigs. Me not being the math major like a good friend of mine I decided this was more of a question for him to solve. ;)

Started with some base info I've gathered
    1 pack a day $5.00
    Initial investment $185.00
    E juice/maintinace 3.00 a week
    After some fancy math work he came up with 6 weeks and that fancy new toy is paid for with an aprox "profit" of $32.00
    Keep in mind this was an off the top of my head approximation for maintinance. Supply and demand may alter this and it may cost more per week to maintain. This was based on buying larger bottles of e juice and atty's at $2.00 a pop

Saying that I hope this makes people feel better about spending the money to kick the analog and enjoy all the benifits that e cigs have to offer.

2. potmilkz

potmilkz Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 15, 2013
    Southern California
    its not all about the money man.. its about your well being...

the best gift of e-cigs.. is that your off the cigarette..

3. Thraxxy

Thraxxy Full Member Verified Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Boise
    I spend more on vaping than I did in analogs. :blush:

I'd like to say I'll eventually save money... But I doubt it.

4. buddywally

buddywally Full Member

Jun 6, 2013
    eugene, OR
    The money you save on analogs helps you to plan and the rationalize your future purchases of vape-tech. :)

I smoked a pack a day, so over the course of a year that comes out to $1825 of vape-tech and juice. I can't imagine spending this much in a year on kit, but then again, I think I may just be up to the challenge.

5. Thraxxy

Jun 2, 2013
    Boise
    It definitely adds up...

I don't even want to know how much I've spent.

If you just want to vape in order to quit smoking, it's easier to actually save money.

Vaping has become a hobby for me. Hobbies are expensive.

6. buddywally

buddywally Full Member

Jun 6, 2013
    eugene, OR
    A better answer...

Immediately! I've gone from smelling like an ashtray, to basically smelling like I just ate a banana flavored candy Runt (if I'm vaping Pimp Juice). My morning smokers-hack is gone, I don't get as edgy between vapes as I did between cigs... the list goes on.

But basically, the answer is that it pays off IMMEDIATELY.

7. Thraxxy

Jun 2, 2013
    Boise
    You could even throw in the increased resale value of your car.

No more disgusting cigarette odor in your vehicle is priceless.

8. Popeskill

Popeskill Full Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Detroit, MI, USA
    I was drinking today and that was when I smoked the most analogs. I turned down a cigarette offered to me. I have been vaping for about 2 weeks. Turning down that cigarette gave me more time to spend living healthier. 2 weeks for me.

9. boomhower1820

boomhower1820 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 7, 2013
    NC
    In theory three months counting the money wasted on juice I don't like and the cig a likes I bought to start with. That's why it took so long for me to quite analogs. The cig a likes were horrid and it took a while to find a juice I liked.

10. hvac999

hvac999 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 21, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    I keep adding items so it will be a LONG while before I even come close to breaking even.

11. plop1

plop1 Full Member

Jun 8, 2013
    France
    I just buy too much stuff and am constantly waiting for an order to arrive... Loving it too :)

12. Iron Knuckle

Iron Knuckle Senior Member ECF Veteran

May 19, 2013
    Washington, USA
    It honestly depends on where you live and how much you smoked! For example, where I live, the cigarettes I used to smoke were roughly 9 bucks a pack, and I'd tear through about a pack and a half a day. So, my vaping "budget" is quite roomy. (seriously, 2 ego pass through batteries, a vision spinner 1300mah, four vivi mini nova tanks, an RDA, almost 200 milliliters of juice, replacement heads, wicks, coils, and now a vamo + batts and a charger) And I'm right on the money for my normal expenditures. Next month will be a waaaaaaaaaaaay different story as this was my start up cost. Juice, rebuild stuffs and parts until a new device sparks my fancy.

TL,DR; Taking me about one month to break even. Though, it's more about not sucking down analogues now isn't it? :vapor:

13. mh1972

mh1972 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 28, 2013
    Missouri
    I am only in 2 weeks of vaping, but I think I will try and use monthly cigarette budget to vaping, maybe later on will start saving money.
    Its turning out to be a hobby too, so its fun :)

14. klynnn

klynnn Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Mar 20, 2012
    prattville
    I found the best way to manage my budget was to figure half of what I used to spend on cigs and go from there. I used to spend about 240.00 a month on 5 cartons{this amt has increased}. My budget started at 120.00m a month 50% savings right off. I am now down to 1/3 of the amount. You have to plan it out and stick to it. Even if I don't need something this month I stock up. Most cost savings can be realized by taking the time to learn diy.

15. brock957

brock957 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 4, 2013
    Powder Springs GA
    Cigs or cigars? Or nicotine lozenge? I don't think Einstein could figure out a formula to determine that.

16. aswada

aswada Full Member Verified Member

May 28, 2013
    Texas
    K101 kit $38
    Juice $5 a week
    Protank $20

Thats $58 for the initial and $20 for juice in a month. I used to smoke hookah and spent $80 a month on tobacco and $30 a month on coals. Basically after a month it paid for itself. Now if I could only stop buying mods...

17. tntmux

tntmux Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    paris
    For me, I started with ego kit for 45euros, then 60euros for 2 new clearo(evod and kanger t2)+halo juice(57ml in all), then 50euros for vamo2+3 new clearo(vivi nova, DCT, kanger t3), so it is 160euros during one week vaping...
    Generally I smoke 10xanalogue cigarette=3.2euros
    160/3.2=50 days, lets round it to 2monthes.

18. Bill's Magic Vapor

Bill's Magic Vapor Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 8, 2013
    USA
    I keep thinking next month will be the month I break even. Like others have said, it's now a huge hobby for me, and by applying my addictive personality to e-cigs, I am greatly helping the e-cig community with my weekly purchases, and enjoying the Journey immensely. Since I'm not saving money really, or spending more money really, my wife just gives me a strange look every other day when something new arrives. Now she's off smokes and using e-cigs which has really allowed me to go hog wild for her (and ME) without too much back lash. Pretty sure I'll get there, but as long as new stuff keeps coming out, I feel compelled to try it. Also, I diy all my juice from the very beginning that I started...leaving more money for hardware.

Of course, my early days I was able to carefully calculate how much I would save each month, justifying every expenditure. Now that it's a hobby, I don't go to the trouble of justifying anything. Thus far, I love everything about vaping, and will hopefully live long enough to enjoy this for many years to come.

19. Coyote.au

Coyote.au Full Member

Supporting member
    Jun 4, 2013
    Victoria Australia
    From the moment I decided to change to vapour I added up what I would have spent in one month on analogue s .
    I consumed on average a 2×50 gm pack of roll your own tobacco + papers and filters and lighters every 8 days near enough.
    That was at a cost of now $42.00 hear in Oz every 4 days so a month came to about $315.00.
    So my budget to zget up and running was that at least. the actual figure to get ego kit and some nic fast out USA express DHL
    Was $ 100.00 all up. I have 2x ego t and some % nic and some 10ml mentol and camel juice and some glyc from the chemist.
    Enough to keep me on the juice for some months probably time will tell.
    So now I had $200 left so Invest in some more nic and some flavour and a couple of mods that I read experience folk are using.
    Some spare rebuildable clearomisers and vv batts to make up kits for friends who might give it like try and I still have funds left from what I would have spent
    On tobacco in one month.
    So I believe that if was to invest say 2 to three months tobacco spend on this stuff.
    It is a tiny cost compared to the health benifits that I am already enjoying ,breathing easier feeling calmer
    and the non smoking war office I sit with most nights says she approves and I don't stink any more priceless.

and what will I do with extra years that I may have put on to my life without emphzema and oxygen bottles let alone cancer .
    Well be greatful that I made the move to using an alternative methods of maintaining a lifestyle habit.

Ones own life and well being is in our hands and our destiny while unknown is better If we help ourselves
    and not try to destroy the only vehicle we have our bodies.

It,s hard not to sound like a bit of a zelot over this stuff but the excitement and realization that I can make a reasonably
    Small change for such huge financial and health benifit has got me . WOw it has really worked .
    As I sit here with my partner puffing on a ego t whereas to smoke stinkiesI was banished outside to the rain and hail hallaluyah .

I am saved. Thank you forum

By the way the stuff I DYI ,d from the start tastes better and more satisfying than any cigar pipe or cig I ever smoked.

Because they really are very nasty big tobacco products that leach the life and money from our communities

20. Dan87

Dan87 Senior Member Verified Member

May 30, 2013
    Wolverhampton, GB
    Myn will probably never be a saving in the long run.. but id rather vape than smoke tobacco and smell like crap.. pluss i have a 2 year old son that no longer comes into contact with tobacco smoke and to me thats all that matters that alone is worth more to me than any amount of savings will ever add up too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.