how inefficient is an old freezer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ad356

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2010
north java, ny
there is an old full sized freezer in my basement that has been in the house since i bought it. the thing is probably 30+ years old. i did plug it once and the compressor ran but i didn't run it long to see if it still got cold. im going to need a place to store 16 liters of nic base. is this old freezer going to shoot up my electric bill. would it be worth investigating it more and seeing if its a viable option? its already here so i think i might see if it gets cold still. it sure would be convenient and i wouldnt have to invest in another freezer just to store nic. its a large unit so even if added more inventory no way am i going to run out of space.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
It's hard to say without more specifics and some testing. My guess would be that a new one would be more energy efficient. Also might want to consider the implications of putting something you intend to consume in a 30+ year old metal box of unknown hygenic history.
I say go for the new shiney, it's going to cost less than the goods you are going to put in it.

Reactions: Katmar

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Power companies will pick up your old freezer for free and take it in for recycling just to get it off the grid. I guess there's lots of KW savings in large numbers.

Home Depot recently had a small Magic Chef 3 cf Freezer on sale for $138. I need to buy one and that's what I am considering. Most of them are top load and I want a front load so that I can stack my little mini fridge on top. We keep the mini fridge in the laundry room for soft drinks. For some reason my wife thinks she has to buy three 12 packs when they are 3 for $10 even though they sell single 12 packs for the same price deal when they are on sale. The nephews head for the mini fridge first thing when they are here, so I guess it makes sense.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Last edited:

Jugband

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
PA, USA
I just bought the Magic Chef 3.5 CF freezer from Home Depot. Very inexpensive, I think $149.00 regular price. Had to buy online, free ship to store. I researched them throughly, Magic Chef comes very highly recommended. Also came with energy efficient tag on it, something like $28.00 a year to run. Very roomie, loving it so far. I would absolutely forget the old one when a new one is so inexpensive, worth protecting your nic investment.

Katmar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pa
Reactions: DaveP

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA

Thanks, I'm still pondering whether I want top load or front load. If I put it in the garage I'll get the top load. I had originally thought I'd try stacking my mini-fridge on top of it in the laundry room.

With the mini fridge on the floor you have to bend over double to look in and get a Coke out (Yeah I know, bending is good for the midsection!). If the top of a front load freezer is sturdy enough I could do that. I'll have to go take a look at them and see. I don't want to create an unstable situation and have someone pull the door open and have it fall over on them!

I'm thinking garage. Temps don't fall much below freezing here, although the summers are hot and the questions and answers reveal that it's not recommended for garage use because of compressor overheating in the summer.

It may just go in my basement workshop!

Reactions: Katmar

twolostminds

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2009
We are about to replace our 28 year old 13.8cu/ft freezer. It still works perfectly, keeps a constant 20deg F but it uses about $238.50 a year in electricity according to the Kill-O-Volt we purchased at Home Depot to measure how many kwh our appliances use. We are buying a new 13.8cu/ft freezer that uses $75/year for about $400.00 with 18 months to pay interest free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread