How long did it take?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chanel

ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2010
Toronto
www.helium.com
I was wondering how long it took you to quit smoking, altogether.
I've been reading about people who received their vaping equipment and were able to stop smoking right away.

I'm not doing too bad, considering that I only have a USB passthrough at the moment (I'm waiting for the starter kit to arrive) but there are times that I still think of lighting a cigarette.

It's not too bad when I'm on the computer and I can take a puff every now and then of the USB, but when I'm reading or watching TV, I feel that urge for a smoke.

Can anyone relate?

bornagainst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
Toronto, Canada
www.villagermt.com
A couple of months for it to really work.

Before vaping I was a pack and a half a day smoker.

After the first week, I got down to about 1/2 a pack.

After the second week, down to about 5 a day.

Then was stuck on the morning smoke for awhile.

Then, it just worked.

Thing is, you will ALWAYS be stuck on that morning smoke if you have analogs in the house.

Richie G

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2009
Lawn Guyland, NY
I think once you get your kit and you're not tethered to the PC you'll be in a much better position. Right now you're relating vaping with the PC because that's the only place you can do it. So, when you're reading or watching TV you're thinking about it more.

(note - I failed psychology 101) LOL

Seriously, good luck to you. As Malyden said, everyone is different so dont put yourself on a time frame.

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
It will take you as long as it takes - is the simplest answer.
First of all do ou actually WANT to quit? a lot of us didn't - we just wanted to cut DOWN on smoking cigs - the PV isn't a quitting device after all, its an alternative to smoking. Well many of us just wanted a safer (or less harmful if you prefer) way to smoke.
For me I gave up by accident about 10 days in (my sig ticker starts when I stopped btw, not when I got my PV), for others it was immediate, for others still, they like a couple of cigs now n again even now.
None of the above is the 'right' way and none of it is 'wrong'. It is all 'right for YOU' so don't compare yourself to others, just do what feel best for YOU - and don't stress :)

Chanel

ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2010
Toronto
www.helium.com
Thanks everyone, I appreciate your honest replies. I thought that everyone was able to just quit from one day to another.
Yes I want to quit too, but I think I have to find the right taste of flavor before it can be 100% satisfactory.
Considering what you all said I don't think I'm doing too bad. I'm down to smoking less than half of what I use to. If it wasn't for TV it would be even less.

Richie G

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2009
Lawn Guyland, NY
Thanks everyone, I appreciate your honest replies. I thought that everyone was able to just quit from one day to another.
Yes I want to quit too, but I think I have to find the right taste of flavor before it can be 100% satisfactory.
Considering what you all said I don't think I'm doing too bad. I'm down to smoking less than half of what I use to. If it wasn't for TV it would be even less.

Being that you have a PT, it's not necessary that you plug into the PC's USB port. You *could* have the PT right by your side as you watch TV or anything else for that matter. There are lots of these around but linked below is the one I have bookmarked. =)

DealExtreme: $5.31 USB For iPod Style Power Adapter

Plug that bad boy into an outlet, the PT into the adapter and you're good to go. Local electronics stores have them too...

The first time I switched to vaping I was able to cut my cigarette consumption in about a third. This time around (3 days now) I haven't had the urge to smoke an analog at all. I have a very low (8mg) eJuice and I sit all day long and vape. I don't feel sick or woozy because the nic content is so low, but I get to fulfill the physical habit of smoking analogs all day long (which I think is half the battle!)

Dawna

Apr 3, 2010
Ohio
I was so totally fascinated by my e-cig that I didn't bother smoking the first day, plus I set the rule that I wouldn't smoke in the house. Why bother going outside when you have a handy replacement? The second day with my ecig, I picked up a reg out of habit in the car(that's where I was keeping them) and gagged. So my opinion is that if you can make 24 hours without a regular cigg, you find the taste to be rather disgusting. That's just me though. :) Oh and I smoked 2 packs a day.

mistinthewoods

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Brooklyn, MI
I was wondering how long it took you to quit smoking, altogether.
I've been reading about people who received their vaping equipment and were able to stop smoking right away.

I'm not doing too bad, considering that I only have a USB passthrough at the moment (I'm waiting for the starter kit to arrive) but there are times that I still think of lighting a cigarette.

It's not too bad when I'm on the computer and I can take a puff every now and then of the USB, but when I'm reading or watching TV, I feel that urge for a smoke.

Can anyone relate?

Depends on your determination, really. I was dead set on never smoking again and quit the day I got my equipment. I got a friend to try it and he still smokes a couple cigs a day (he was a 2 pack a day smoker). Even if you just cut down a lot that's a success. :)

PaulCincy

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2010
Cincinnati OH
Welcome and it all depends on how much you vape, concerning your carts and filling them up....For me,,,,I fill two up in the morning and add a few drops every now and then during the day, when I notice the vapor and hit decreasing...But, that is me...My wife fills up her carts in the morning and does not need to add anything till she is home from work around 5 PM...Again, Welcome and enjoy...

Devious17

Mar 29, 2010
Smoking in the house I think is the problem for many...too convenient. My spouse and I recently had a baby, and of course quit smoking indoors. You would be surprised how breaking that part of the habit, helps cut down on cigarettes, and only having one when you really want/need instead of whenever you think about it. Canada Winters help:).

So for me gaining the freedom to Vape "almost" wherever I believe contributed to being able to not look at cigarettes since i got my 510 a week ago. Yes only a week so I certainly am not out of the woods yet, but at this point i have no urge to smoke an analog...I have not been without that urge for 20+years. Including the last time I quit and felt the urge everyday for 2 years.

Incidently I still only vape indoors sparingly. Not entirely sure why, but I dont vape around the kids, and take outdoor breaks at work. Only latenight TV at home when I really hit the vapor hard indoors.

Anyway - sorry to Ramble. Good luck.

x0rsw1tch

Nov 21, 2009
Kent, OH
I was so totally fascinated by my e-cig that I didn't bother smoking the first day, plus I set the rule that I wouldn't smoke in the house. Why bother going outside when you have a handy replacement? The second day with my ecig, I picked up a reg out of habit in the car(that's where I was keeping them) and gagged. So my opinion is that if you can make 24 hours without a regular cigg, you find the taste to be rather disgusting. That's just me though. :) Oh and I smoked 2 packs a day.

That was pretty much how it happened with me. I didn't smoke for two days after getting mine. After firing up one of my analogs, it made me nauseous and tasted horrible. However, it took several weeks to get completely stop wanting to take another drag lol. It was a little hard at first, but it just faded into an afterthought; easily ignored after taking a few hits off the ol' PV.

One vape, and i put down the analogs... It helped that my wife kept saying that it would never work, and I HAVE to prove her wrong. She said it would end up in the "quit smoking drawer" which had/has gum, patches, pills etc...(its working well enough that i am thinking of upgrading my PV) I still get the urge for an analog, but not often, and a couple vapes and the urge goes away... I am still waiting for the analogs to stop smelling good. When my wife lights up a fresh one, it still smells great to me, but after a couple minutes it does start to stink.

Chanel

ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2010
Toronto
www.helium.com
Not entirely sure why, but I dont vape around the kids, and take outdoor breaks at work. Only latenight TV at home when I really hit the vapor hard indoors.

This never bothered me. I grew up with two smoking parents and it had no effect on me health wise.

When I had my son I smoked during pregnancy and after he was born. Didn't bother him either and he is not a smoker.
I was very relaxed with him, if he wanted to smoke he could. You know how it goes, forbid kids something and they want it, give it to them and it hold no attraction.

I too go outside to smoke at work, but I'll be damned to go outside at home. It's my home, I pay the rent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread