How long did it take?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaporhottie

Feb 10, 2010
Colorado
I am still struggling with this. I was a 2 pack a day smoker but now I have been smoking very limited. I went two weeks without one then I was around it for a while and now i am struggling to get back to no smokes. Everyone is different and it is hard to quit, even when you have a wonderful tool like the ecig to help you. Sometimes you just want and need a smoke. I am still fighting the battle. Good luck to you and I hope you get there, I hope that I do too..........

Vaporhottie

Houdini

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Las Vegas
I quit the first day I started vaping. I think the key to my success was when I smoked my last cigarette I refused to buy any more. Every time I wanted one I would think to myself it's vaping or nothing and vaping was better than nothing. That was a year and three months ago and I havn't had a cig since. I was a pack a day smoker for 30 years.

bluebottle7

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2009
I haven't COMPLETELY quit yet but only use analogs on the weekends, and even then it's few and far between. As soon as you find a setup that works reliably and get enough spare parts that when something goes wrong you aren't heading to the gas station for your nic-fix you'll quit (if you really want to). It's too easy to get a kit and expect the parts to last forever- they won't. Keep extra attys and batteries on had (yes they cost money but it's worth it), and it helps to check into re-stuffing carts in a pinch too.

I think finding the right juice matters a lot, too. Some of them just don't quite cut it, others make you wonder why you smoked analogs in the first place!

VORTEX

Apr 11, 2010
seattle
My V4L stuff was a gift so I wasn't planning a "quit cigs" thing at all. At first I was chuckling c'mon but after app. 8 weeks the butts are gone!!!!! (I still have my moments)I envy those that were able to quit as soon as their box arrived but i am happy with my new hobby, read ECF,Vape,Fill,ponder next order,Vape!!!!
I was stoked just decreasing the analogs by 70% without getting the jitters, It seemed like the next step was easier and now I have to throw the cig $ at more liquid and some back up hardware. Good luck all!

bushmaster

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2010
Colville, WA
When I started vaping, I had about one and a half cartons of stuff-my-own cigarettes left. I continued smoking after I received my Joye510 and just vaped when I felt like it and smoked when I felt like it. When I ran out of smokes, I of course turned to vaping only and it was a seamless transition. I still felt a few twinges at certain times such as when I first got up in the morning, but they were so easily overcome by reaching for my pv that its barely worth mentioning. This after smoking for over 40 years. Unbelievable.
Its been 2 weeks now and I'm a happy vaper!

Last edited:

gcast

Moved On
Feb 20, 2010
Texas
I smoked 2 packs a day for 40 plus years and quit within 3 days of getting my 1st e cig. I think most try to vape a mixture that is not strong enough. It's better to cut it than to have it too weak. Other thing that helped me was when I really needed a hit, I would drip a couple of drops on the atty. Go into pacifier mode with a strong mixture and a little will power and you can do it.

AmyB66

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
In A Padded Cell
2 1/2 months. Didn't help that I had smokers in the house still. I basically cut down to about 2-3 a day but they were hard to give up. Smoked for 28 years. Like a few others, took me two different e-cigs and then some mods and a cabinet full of various juices and strengths. I am on day three with no analogs. The want is still there, especially first thing in the morning so time will tell but I am determined.

woolfe99

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
San Francisco
I went from 1.5 packs a day to zero the day I started the ecigs. That was two weeks ago and my desire for regular cigs is now fleeting at most. It did bother me for the first few days though. Oh, and I failed to quit about 7 times before with patches and other methods, never getting more than 5 days into it. I'm definitely in it for good this time because I actually enjoy the vaping.

- wolf

Kirssstens

ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2010
Thodeepught
I gave up analogs within the first week and about a month into I had to overcome the urge to bum a cigarette from a guy standing outside of 7-11. Something I would never normally do. The urges come and go but I was once told by an 80 year old man that he still had dreams about smoking even after he'd been quit for 20 years so I guess it's all relative. Thank the lucky stars we have it much easier than him.

crazygirll22

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2010
RI, USA
I feel that everyone is different and you shouldn't worry too much about it. The more you vape, the worst analogues will taste! Then after a while you won't even want smokes any more. I also feel you have to find what works for you, the right pv, juice and the right nic strength.. Keep experimenting until you find what works, & eventually you won't even want to smoke anymore. Good Luck!

scheherezade

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
VA Beach
While we're on the subject ... how often a day do you fill up the filter with new liquid and how often do you change filters?
I clean my fillers everyday, but I think I'm in the extreme end of things there. (clean all my stuff everyday) In general, just make sure you refill before it gets too dry, especially with a PT. If you don't you can burn out your atty. Usually less taste or vapor means its time for a refill.

ThinBlueLine

Mar 5, 2010
Chicago
I did my research by reading this site before I dove in and bought a 510. I had ordered extra atomizers, batteries and juice so running out wasn't in the formula and never looked back to analog smokes in the last 9 months. Had I burned out my atomizers or ran out of liquid...I'll never know if I'd have turned back to the evil cigarettes!

Stephra

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2010
Pennsylvania
I dropped the butts the first day I had my ecig, and haven't looked back.

That week between the order being made and receiving it was spent talking myself out of the cigarettes. Noticing every cough, grumbling to myself every time I emptied an ashtray, just telling myself over and over how much I hated the butts. It helped a lot to put me in the correct frame of mind for the switch.

Once we got our stuff, we vaped A LOT. Every time I thought about a cigarette, I vaped. I took it outside for cig breaks. I kept it in my hand at the computer. Made sure it was ALWAYS available.

The first week was weird because it doesn't have that same rhythm that a cig does. There's no beginning and end, like a cig. I don't know how many times I tried to reach for a lighter. That was the hardest part, retraining yourself that "THIS" is how I smoke now. After about two weeks, the hard part was OVER. Now it feels like I've been doing it forever.

I wouldn't diss someone who held onto a few security cigarettes - even a reduction is stepping in the right direction. But my opinion? Just drop the cigs, vape your face off as much as you need to, and it won't take long for the old way of thinking to fade away.

NOTE: It's a lot easier if you have sufficient batteries so that you're never high and dry, as well as one or two good flavors that you can turn to. That's why research and purchase planning is so important.

MedicMama

Apr 14, 2010
NC
I was wondering the same thing. I got my kit on Monday night after work. I have had 3 analogs sence but I am already finding that they taste gross! I am trying to vape when I have an urge and then If I just want to vape because I can I am using low or no nic. For the time where I thoughts I would die if I did not have an Analog I just vaped a higher mg untill it passed. So we will see I am hoping it will only be a few days and they will be gone. I did buy enough stuff so that I would not run out in the 1st few wks. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread