Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
i have a mtl rta and was wanting how long would last before i Change it this is my first rta

Very Hard to say.

A person using 20ml/day of Heavily Flavored/Sweetened e-liquid at Mega Watts is going to need to do something to their Coil much sooner that a person using Unflavored at 7 Watts who takes a couple of Hits a couple of Times a Day.

But if I was on Jeopardy, and had buzzed in First, I guess I would say...

"What is 30 ~ 40ml?"

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The longest I've had a set of coils last me was about 8 months in a RDA. I dry burned the coils with every wick change, which was about every 3 - 4 days. Wire used was kanthal.

Longest lasting single coil in a RTA (a Kayfun Lite) was probably around 4 months. Again, I dry burned the coil with every wick change (about every 2 weeks). Wire used was again kanthal.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I'm an industrial engineer if that clears the point. I did study metallurgy.

So then you Understand just how Tightly Bound Chromium Oxides are at the Surface Boundary of something like a Stainless Steel Alloy.

That, and you Don't see many "Reputable" Studies showing Causality of Any Chromium Oxide being present in Inhaled Vapor due to "Chromium Leeching" from the Coil Alloy.

Last edited:

denali_41

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
Over Der
So most smoked cigs for years and years and years, and never worried, but now are vaping and worried about the composition of metals in a coil ? Come on man.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

so true , seems fear mongering about vaping will never dissipate any time soon

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
So then you understand just how Understand just how Tightly Bound Chromium Oxides are at the Surface Boundary of something like a Stainless Steel Alloy.

That, and you Don't see many "Reputable" Studies showing Causality of Any Chromium Oxide being present in Inhaled Vapor due to "Chromium Leeching" from the Coil Alloy.
So tell me, do or did you have a copper Kennedy? Glass is also supposed to be harmless except for lead crystal... Why not avoid it? Nevertheless, I still vape Kanthal in premade coil heads. I like building SS. Leave it at that.

Reactions: stols001

vBDKv

ECF Veteran
  • Jan 6, 2018
    Denmark
    When I do a fresh coil for the wife, it will last about 3 months without rewicking or dry burning..
    For me, I might get 7 days before dry burning and rewicking. Either way, the coils last for months.
    Perfect example of "it depends". There are a lot of variables when you vape; How you vape, how often you vape, juice you use etc etc.

• Agree

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    So tell me, do or did you have a copper Kennedy? Glass is also supposed to be harmless except for lead crystal... Why not avoid it? Nevertheless, I still vape Kanthal in premade coil heads. I like building SS. Leave it at that.

Nope. Don't have a Copper Kennedy. Or any Leaded Glass in my RTA's. I also haven't Moved a Goal Post in awhile either.

If someone has some Credible Data about Chromium Oxides Leeching into e-Liquids, by all means Post It.

If they Don't, then why would One feel they should Post that it Does? Seems like we have Enough of that Done by those who would like to see e-Cigarettes Regulated into the Stone Age.

UlkaHuren

ECF Veteran
    Jul 29, 2018
    Central Maryland
    i have a mtl rta and was wanting how long would last before i Change it this is my first rta

It can be really variable depending on how much you vape and how demanding you are of the coils. I use a Troll RTA at 50 watts and I can get close to a month of use before I need to clean and rewick it. In higher powered or temperature use it may only last a couple of days. Also the juice can affect it too. Some juice with sweetner additives can burn up on the coil faster and shorten the life. I tend to overbuild my coils. It could handle about 130 watts, but I'm only using it at 50 to 60 watts.

williamclarkonet

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 11, 2014
    Iowa United States
    Month's i found Kanthal to last a bit longer then SS but thats splitting hairs i have had my Alien Clapton Kanthal in my Zeus for going on 4 month's now i dryburn it regularly and when i do it looks brand new still

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Dood…. Coils last how long they last given a VARIETY of factors, including user error. For example I was using a super thin wire and accidentally turned my vape up WAY too high, and instantly torched it so hard, one area just burned in two, so that coil didn't have much longevity. I have also killed coils by dropping my mod and dislodging everything and it was just easier (for me) to recoil than try to fix that mess.

Often, thicker coils seem to hold up better after repeated use as well as some alien builds. I've had coils last me 3 or 4 months, with the proper care and cleaning.

As far as "discomfort with degradation of the coil" I would say that SHOULD and in fact CAN ONLY be up to the individual user, and really, I'd like to make that decision for MYSELF, not someone else, even if said someone else has a metallurgy degree (or not). I do, however, believe it to be a reasonable statement that over time a coil can degrade, and drop in performance with also a POSSIBLE leaching of metals but given the cost overall of coils, there is no reason to get all freaky about it. Just, treat it like dentistry. YOU KNOW when you are due a cleaning (whether you get one or not) but come on, you know. If you place a high value on ultra clean teeth and non elderly coils, well you change it.

However, I think it's a safe bet that you won't NEED to recoil THAT one on your trip although you may need to rewick it, but see points above as to how user error can happen and maybe bring one with you IN CASE you need it but in my opinion there is not, at this time any need for a PREEMPTIVE rewick.

Although if you'd like you can post a pic and we can all argue about it. Unless you already did that and that's what started the arguing, like, I can't remember.

I think you will be JUST FINE, and what YOU THINK about the situation is what matters .

Anna

Reactions: Eskie
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread