Status
Not open for further replies.

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
What happens to a regulated mod when this happens? Does the board blow? or does the battery start to vent?

Simple, small electronic components contain magic smoke, when they release their magic smoke they don't work anymore. :D

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
To be honestly true in the 5 years my wife and I been vaping have had only 1 mod died and I killed it...bricked a Evic with that schit software and that was a few years ago. If you count The 2 I stick50's my wife used and still good board but dead batts. I got them and taken the batts out ready for one day to replace the batts. Provari's, both almost 5 years old. IPV2 still has a atty on it got in late 2013. IStick 100TC my wife used for almost a year before I got it..prolly 3 years old. A couple eons old sigelei Zmax that late 2013 got and they have wonky fire button so they sat. Last summer came across a light bulb moment in a youtube vid then with a couple bits of tape, fixed the button and now 2 new old mods that haven't skipped a beat since the fix. Plus a bunch of older school mechs that still get used....always will enjoy some mech hits.
I didn't need ooldes of hitters until the FDA flung it into the fan so the STM and provari was my 24/7 for ages and still would be but now since Provape is gone the provari not used as much any more replaced with the zmax for now, all others were part time hitters. Now I got too many...

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I had a SMOK regulated tube mod just die about 3 months after winning it in a contest.

My son had a SMOK regulated box mod (one with the large side fire button) die within 6 months of use.

I worked for a vape shop in 2014. We could expect a third of all SMOK regulated mods to be returned nonfunctional within several months use - the majority which were out of warranty. The ones returned within the warranty period, SMOK would not reimburse our shop so we had to eat the costs internally. We eventually stopped dealing with SMOK altogether.

If you can't tell, I'm not a fan of SMOK. :evil:

I've had multiple Provari's, an Innokin MVP, a Wisemic RX200, a Segelei Fuschia 213, and JAC Vapour regulated mods which are still functional to this day.

Last edited:

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
Eh, I've had two that have committed suicide. One - Wismec Predator - I think it got too much juice from a really leaky tank. Fortunately (?) it was a freebie, but I did like it, so I haz a sad. Other one was a Fuchai Duo-3. Not sure what its problem was - autofired to beat the band. It wasn't that old - coupla months. I was bummed. However, I have lotza other mods that are working quite well...... I'm almost 4 years into this officially. My original cigalike kit has bitten the dust, but I don't count it.

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
I've only ever had three mods completely die on me. This excludes disposable ego batteries, etc.

First one was and P4U IPV Mini. Great mod, was a little over a year old, used daily. Tank leaked and woke up to find the mod auto-firing. It got the battery removed and retired immediately. I don't consider this the fault of the mod itself. Was very happy with it.

Had TWO Istick 20w that failed on me. One, the 510 became extremely unreliable. I was using it for Kanger Evods (MTL use) and had over a year out of it. So I had no problems retiring it. The second Istick that I used to replace the first one only lasted about 2 weeks of daily use. The button lost it's click. It still works, but there is no movement on the fire button at all. It's a no go for me. No juice leaks or anything, just think the button on the board was crap on this one.

All of my other mods (over 5 years of vaping) still function. Some of them look like crap, but still run well. Most of them weren't daily drivers either though.

If I get a solid year of daily use from a $50-$75 Chinese mod, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it dying on me at that point. The mod has more than provided it's service to me at that point, anything longer than that is a bonus. A more expensive mod, I might be a little disappointed.

Look how often folks replace their cell phones these days. A mod every 6-12 months is nothing in comparison in my opinion.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
I've had one of the original Evic tube mods break apart on a drop, which was a know problem they corrected. My wife's Innokin VV mods have lasted a year or so each, but some have died earlier. I had a ProVari V2 stop working after about four years of all day use and hundreds of drops. I did use it to pound in nails a few times as well, so I may have caused it's relatively short life.:D

In the current market with floods of new devices hitting the shores the dvices are for the most part built to last six months to a year of daily use IMO.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Shockingly enough, none of my mods has died yet. The oldest is an MPV-5 and I retired it as it was pretty beat up, but otherwise, everything still functions great, and most of it looks okay. I refuse to count my dual use mods, because I did not value them or care for them appropriately.

I'm still shocked, however. I mean, over 200 days. Tank glass is another matter, however. I kill off every glass tank I see. If you come visit, I suggest a SS tank or perhaps pyrex, LOL.

Anna

2buildawall

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Bellingham
One died on me but it will still works intermittently in a pinch and that is the Eleaf Istick 50w. The thing served me well for three years. So many people with problems and mine worked great up until about a year ago. I have the original Asmodus Minikin and half the screen is not readable but it still works great. Other than that I have Kanger, Innoken, and Aspire mods all working years later.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
A Vamo v5 (dropped it on stone/concrete floor, so my fault - can't blame the mod), Koopor Mini (electronics burnt out without warning), and a Smok Alien (run over by a sturdy Russian SUV, so really can't blame the mod...).

Sent from my Thor E using Tapatalk

PugLady

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 9, 2012
Arnold Maryland
As the title states, I'm wondering how many regulated mods have died on you.
How many and in what period of time.

I've owned both internal and external battery mods. Plug in, external battery, old, new.
Over the course of about 4-5 years when vaping technology exploded and vaping became more than a cig look-alike.

Ive had 5 or 6 mods that have died on me. And roughly all of them died within 12 months.
I have 5 mods that I am currently using, with 2 or 3 really old ones that are stashed.
I'd say my success rate on mods /vaping devices is 55-60%
Every single internal non removable battery mod I've ever had, eventually the charging port always goes bad.. I refuse to buy anything that I can't change batteries in. I like the convenience of a charging port but I need the backup insurance of a removable battery otherwise I feel like I'm flushing money down the toilet lol..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

RainSong

An adult who likes flavors.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2016
Tempe, Arizona, United States
1. After 8 months my Jac Vapour Series B just stopped working. Jac Vapour was kind enough to apply a warranty replacement even though I was slightly past the 6 month warranty period. Currently waiting for the replacement to show up on my doorstep.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I've had few mods that died. Most are still working. My journey has been one that demands I buy new and shiny stuff, so the sheer number of new mods has taken the stress off the old ones. :)

I have quite a backlog stash of backup mods to fall back on if vaping is ever outlawed in the U.S.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
I honestly like internals more. Ive just had more success than the combination of either external mods or batteries crapping out. I'd be more than happy if I could find a mod that lasts 3 years on average. Although the technology will be severely outdated by then

I'm afraid you might be looking for a unicorn. Most internal battery mods simply won't last 3 years because the batteries themselves don't tend to last that long. Batteries deteriorate with use and over time, whether or not you use them. After three years I'd expect most batteries to have trouble holding a charge.

I've had two mods die. Some of the buttons on my Aspire NX75 gave out. Technically it still works, but I can't change the settings. My first eVic VTwo Mini died in a more interesting fashion. After about 9 months of (admittedly very heavy) use, it started auto-firing.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

numsquat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2015
One 1 died, Smok Alien 220 fried on me, though was still under warranty and the replacement went to my youngest son to upgrade the MVP20w I had given him before (my original MVP and 20w were both still working when I gave them away). Gave my MVP3 Pro to my oldest who uses it as his backup right now. My Tesla 120w didn't die but has the hinge problem and the hinge pin popped out last week so it's now a desktop stay at home mod now (the hinge door is actually less of a problem now than when the hinge was in). The only other mods I've ever had are the Battlestar and Gbox, which are what I currently use. So 1 of 8 "died".

Vicman

ECF Veteran
Jun 6, 2014
Chicago
My original MVP died after about a year. I must have dropped the thing about 100 times and the 510 stripped out from falling on the tank so many times. Hated to see it go as that was the device that got me off smokes.

Had a Istick 50w malfunction. It kept auto firing so tossed it before any damage could be done.

Other than that, had pretty good luck. Should say my shinnyitis took over since those and have more mods than I care to admit. None of them get the use the MVP got as I am constantly switching up what I use. Since I keep buying new stuff, have a feeling more will get retired than die in the future.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread