How Many Mods Have Died On You?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
1. After 8 months my Jac Vapour Series B just stopped working. Jac Vapour was kind enough to apply a warranty replacement even though I was slightly past the 6 month warranty period. Currently waiting for the replacement to show up on my doorstep.
I might add, that in this day and age, its pretty rare to find a vendor or manufacturer that provides support for their product after a warranty has expired.

Provape was known to do this. It's good to read that JAC Vapour is one of the few companies that do this today, too.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I had a SMOK regulated tube mod just die about 3 months after winning it in a contest.

My son had a SMOK regulated box mod (one with the large side fire button) die within 6 months of use.

I worked for a vape shop in 2014. We could expect a third of all SMOK regulated mods to be returned nonfunctional within several months use - the majority which were out of warranty. The ones returned within the warranty period, SMOK would not reimburse our shop so we had to eat the costs internally. We eventually stopped dealing with SMOK altogether.

If you can't tell, I'm not a fan of SMOK. :evil:

I've had multiple Provari's, an Innokin MVP, a Wisemic RX200, a Segelei Fuschia 213, and JAC Vapour regulated mods which are still functional to this day.

I've that one smok mod, it was that xcube 2 that I won on the forums when I first joined..

I didn't care for it so i never really used it.. shelved it forever..but after what about two years? Maybe a year and a half.. anyway I traded it for something else (a coil building kit if I remember right) and I think it's still going strong..

So some of their stuff can last..but yeah never recommend smok - I had one of their V8 batteries that I considered hazardous.. scary stuff when they make it wrong!

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
None have completely died. A Sigelei was created faulty as far as TC goes, exchanged, same problem. A Smok was a complete scam as far as TC goes (it's a pre-programmed curve not TC). Love Smok tanks but neither of those companies will see another penny from me for a mod.

My Joytech Cuboid was eventually dropped into submission after 2-3 years (or more) of daily use as far as TC goes but it still does power. It started screwing up the Ω after being dropped but I could get it back to reading right until that last time.

If I liked VW I'm sure all would still be going strong, even the scams and bad builds did power right. But if I liked VW I'd probably still be using my Vamos.

I think my RN4072's are probably dead. Last time I checked only 2 of the 4 batteries would charge and that's been a while. That's from lack of use I don't keep them charged ever.
I just fired up an SVD with a steel mesh genesis build and it worked, didn't feel like putting liquid it in. All my old stuff is in my SHTF because of the FDA stash.

Reactions: stols001

Lacit1707

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2014
CT
I had an original istick 50 that started auto-firing randomly as they were famous for doing.

I had a UD Balrog that the switch would get stuck in the on position when pressed.

my istick 50 just died... had it a few years at least....plugged it in to charge one night... next day, it never turned back on....

• Optimistic

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
I had an iStick 30 where the 510 got so loose it couldn't hold a tank in any more. My first real mod was a Sigelei 20 tube. That shorted out one day and destroyed a battery. The short appeared to have come from the chip.

I had 2 Sigelei 30's. They didn't die but the dim level display sometimes didn't turn off which ran the battery down to 2V. I got tired of them killing batteries and binned them.

Snicks

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2013
Riverside, CA
2 Vamos died on me (I have a third Vamo that still works. It is a V5)
1 itaste MVP died on me
1 sigelei failed me (this one works but has issues)
I have around 10 others that have been going for years now without issue (but can't use them because they are not designed for todays sub ohm tanks) and a few others that are newer so no issues yet.

• Creative

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I've been fortunate. My Sigelei 200W dual 18650 box mod with the magnetic side cover failed due to a cracked battery sled. That's the only dead soldier in my stash. I'm a 10W MTL vaper, so I don't stress the electronics much at all.

I have 12 to 15 mods that still work. They get rotated here and there and some are still new in the box for longevity from possible FDA bans in the future. I buy new mods from time to time when I find a deal I can't refuse. More is better, IMO.

Last edited:

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
I buy new mods from time to time when I find a deal I can't refuse. More is better, IMO.

Once in a while one vapers crap turns out to be another vapers diamond.

By the time a great mod deal shows up, It's typically been out long enough for all the real world warts to show up here in ECF threads. It sure helps one weigh how good those deals are. Serious reliability problems and battery life issues show up in the first few months, so they can be avoided. Remaining deals normally have smaller issues that may or may not be deal breakers. That wealth of real information makes it much more likely to snag mods that work well and suit your particular preferences. They may still die unexpectedly but it's far less likely IMO.

After rushing to get the coolest new shiny a few times when I started vaping, I learned my lesson. I suspect those who get the newest models are often guinea pigs and experience more reliability issues as manufacturers pump out new varieties faster and faster. I now enjoy being the last guy to the dance and inexpensively adding what I really like when the flock moves to newer shinier stuff.

The mods I've bought over the last four years have all continued to work well. A couple built-in battery ones had the batteries eventually give out but that's to be expected.

EverythingEvil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2014
Grand Junction, Co
I have mostly only had ego batteries and cigalike batteries crap out on me and a few 18650s that didn't hold a charge anymore. I had one Nemesis clone that I stripped out the threads on and had to pitch but other than than that most of the mods I bought where mechs that later got sold the only regulated mods I have bought so far are still around a Sigelei 100 watt+ (my daily vape) and an itaste SVD (use occasionally).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread