The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

How Many Mods Have Died On You?

Discussion in 'APV and Mods Discussion' started by comeonhitme, Feb 19, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I might add, that in this day and age, its pretty rare to find a vendor or manufacturer that provides support for their product after a warranty has expired.

Provape was known to do this. It's good to read that JAC Vapour is one of the few companies that do this today, too.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  2. Chuck64

Chuck64 Super Member ECF Veteran

Nov 17, 2015
    NV. USA
    I had an original istick 50 that started auto-firing randomly as they were famous for doing.

I had a UD Balrog that the switch would get stuck in the on position when pressed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. sketzo

sketzo New Member

Mar 5, 2018
    Eleaf iStick 100w -> lasted me about a year until battery gave up and did not hold any more charge.

• Like Like x 2
  4. bratz

bratz Full Member

Dec 27, 2015
    11 mods across 3 years. Most are now in vape drawer. Not looking forward to any failure. 1 wonky 510 from RX200. Current longest serving is VT133 for 2 years and counting.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  5. sorrynomore

sorrynomore Ultra Member ECF Veteran

May 4, 2014
    Canada
    Out of the 8 mods I own only one has failed....somewhat.The fire button on my IPV Mini went wonky,it fires and then it doesn't.:)

• Like Like x 2
  6. levivapes

levivapes Full Member

Apr 3, 2018
    Oregon
    The only one I have had die on me within the last couple years is my Koopor Mini. Lasted about 2 years which aint bad I suppose.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Opinionated

Opinionated Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Aug 19, 2015
    I've that one smok mod, it was that xcube 2 that I won on the forums when I first joined..

I didn't care for it so i never really used it.. shelved it forever..but after what about two years? Maybe a year and a half.. anyway I traded it for something else (a coil building kit if I remember right) and I think it's still going strong..

So some of their stuff can last..but yeah never recommend smok - I had one of their V8 batteries that I considered hazardous.. scary stuff when they make it wrong!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. williamclarkonet

williamclarkonet Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jul 11, 2014
    Iowa United States
    I had 3 brand new mods die within 1 month 2 eleaf tria and 1 modefined prism and i lost vamo v1 and the v2 both died after 2 weeks brand new. Lost an mvp 2 to stripped 510 threads Also lost 3 ego spinners I guess im hard on mine :(

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. Myk

Myk Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jan 1, 2009
    IL, USA
    None have completely died. A Sigelei was created faulty as far as TC goes, exchanged, same problem. A Smok was a complete scam as far as TC goes (it's a pre-programmed curve not TC). Love Smok tanks but neither of those companies will see another penny from me for a mod.

My Joytech Cuboid was eventually dropped into submission after 2-3 years (or more) of daily use as far as TC goes but it still does power. It started screwing up the Ω after being dropped but I could get it back to reading right until that last time.

If I liked VW I'm sure all would still be going strong, even the scams and bad builds did power right. But if I liked VW I'd probably still be using my Vamos.

I think my RN4072's are probably dead. Last time I checked only 2 of the 4 batteries would charge and that's been a while. That's from lack of use I don't keep them charged ever.
    I just fired up an SVD with a steel mesh genesis build and it worked, didn't feel like putting liquid it in. All my old stuff is in my SHTF because of the FDA stash.

• Like Like x 1
  10. r77r7r

r77r7r ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    To be fair, I do have 2 mods that I've never used yet. A cloupor30 I'm sure would have a short life, if it didn't catch on fire, lol. And a GP PaPs v3 that's too awesome for me to use. Both exterior batteries models that I won't bother equipping.

• Like Like x 1
  11. K-Space

K-Space Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    Delaware
    From RnR Manufacturing the Ali'i vv, that's Hawaiian for Chief

• Like Like x 1
  12. Lacit1707

Lacit1707 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Nov 12, 2014
    CT
    my istick 50 just died... had it a few years at least....plugged it in to charge one night... next day, it never turned back on....

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. englishmick

englishmick Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana
    I had an iStick 30 where the 510 got so loose it couldn't hold a tank in any more. My first real mod was a Sigelei 20 tube. That shorted out one day and destroyed a battery. The short appeared to have come from the chip.

I had 2 Sigelei 30's. They didn't die but the dim level display sometimes didn't turn off which ran the battery down to 2V. I got tired of them killing batteries and binned them.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Snicks

Snicks Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 7, 2013
    Riverside, CA
    2 Vamos died on me (I have a third Vamo that still works. It is a V5)
    1 itaste MVP died on me
    1 sigelei failed me (this one works but has issues)
    I have around 10 others that have been going for years now without issue (but can't use them because they are not designed for todays sub ohm tanks) and a few others that are newer so no issues yet.

• Creative Creative x 1
  15. PeterVaper

PeterVaper Full Member

May 3, 2018
    I think 3

• Like Like x 1
  16. DaveP

DaveP PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I've been fortunate. My Sigelei 200W dual 18650 box mod with the magnetic side cover failed due to a cracked battery sled. That's the only dead soldier in my stash. I'm a 10W MTL vaper, so I don't stress the electronics much at all.

I have 12 to 15 mods that still work. They get rotated here and there and some are still new in the box for longevity from possible FDA bans in the future. I buy new mods from time to time when I find a deal I can't refuse. More is better, IMO.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. NicotineRush

NicotineRush Linux Mint/Mate Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    None. Learned early on. Start with crap, end with crap.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. DaveP

DaveP PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    The problem is that we don't always know it's crap until it breaks. Reviewers get paid to tout its merits and talk about how great it is.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. 440BB

440BB Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 19, 2011
    The Motor City
    Once in a while one vapers crap turns out to be another vapers diamond.

By the time a great mod deal shows up, It's typically been out long enough for all the real world warts to show up here in ECF threads. It sure helps one weigh how good those deals are. Serious reliability problems and battery life issues show up in the first few months, so they can be avoided. Remaining deals normally have smaller issues that may or may not be deal breakers. That wealth of real information makes it much more likely to snag mods that work well and suit your particular preferences. They may still die unexpectedly but it's far less likely IMO.

After rushing to get the coolest new shiny a few times when I started vaping, I learned my lesson. I suspect those who get the newest models are often guinea pigs and experience more reliability issues as manufacturers pump out new varieties faster and faster. I now enjoy being the last guy to the dance and inexpensively adding what I really like when the flock moves to newer shinier stuff.

The mods I've bought over the last four years have all continued to work well. A couple built-in battery ones had the batteries eventually give out but that's to be expected.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. EverythingEvil

EverythingEvil Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 26, 2014
    Grand Junction, Co
    I have mostly only had ego batteries and cigalike batteries crap out on me and a few 18650s that didn't hold a charge anymore. I had one Nemesis clone that I stripped out the threads on and had to pitch but other than than that most of the mods I bought where mechs that later got sold the only regulated mods I have bought so far are still around a Sigelei 100 watt+ (my daily vape) and an itaste SVD (use occasionally).

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.