The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

How Many Mods Have Died On You?

Discussion in 'APV and Mods Discussion' started by comeonhitme, Feb 19, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. comeonhitme

comeonhitme Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    tampa bay
    As the title states, I'm wondering how many regulated mods have died on you.
    How many and in what period of time.

I've owned both internal and external battery mods. Plug in, external battery, old, new.
    Over the course of about 4-5 years when vaping technology exploded and vaping became more than a cig look-alike.

Ive had 5 or 6 mods that have died on me. And roughly all of them died within 12 months.
    I have 5 mods that I am currently using, with 2 or 3 really old ones that are stashed.
    I'd say my success rate on mods /vaping devices is 55-60%

• Like Like x 1
  2. madstabber

madstabber Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Kanger kbox 160-had it for a couple months And babied it when it just up and crapped the bed. Next mod I got was the Smoant Battlestar and from then on I’ve been a Smoant man. Love my smoant’s, they don’t die. Still have two Sigelei zmax’s. I bought a second one for a backup when it was on sale. Wasn’t necessary because the zmax was a solid mod I couldn’t kill. So yeah I was lucky to find Smoant early on so I didn’t have to deal with duds. It was between a Battlestar and an Alien, I went with the Battlestar. Dodged a bullet there, I would’ve been pissed if I got a dud alien right after my kbox crapped out. Smoant rules, down with Smok. Oh yea got lucky buying a Sigelei zmax instead of the smok zmax. Freaking posers, smok’s zmax can’t hold a candle to Sigelei’s. All thanks to ECF for helping me steer clear of Smok’s line of garbage they steadily pump out. Their tanks seem ok from what I’ve heard but I wouldn’t personally know.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. KC0YNU

KC0YNU Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 27, 2013
    McPherson, Kansas
    My original MVP died on me after 3 years of useage
    other than that only 5 ego batteries died and have been replaced with external battery mods that are still in use, do not plan on getting any more internal battery mods in the future.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. comeonhitme

Jun 7, 2012
    tampa bay
    Interesting. I have never owned a Sigelei or Smoant device. Thank you for the suggestions I might have to invest in one.

Yes I have had a few Smoks, Eleaf Isticks, Kooper, and Teslas die on me

• Like Like x 5
  5. Beamslider

Beamslider Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 29, 2017
    San Francisco
    An eVic Primo mini. Didn't really die just started reading OHMs very badly. Tossed it.

All others are still going strong. Mods are cheap so might not last more than a year or two in some cases.

• Like Like x 3
  6. rollersk4te

rollersk4te Senior Member ECF Veteran

Oct 24, 2016
    Orlando, FL
    The only mods that have not died on me have all been Sigelei models. Right now I'm using a Vaporesso Revenger, which I have high hopes for. While I love it when I get a mod that does not ever die, sometimes I wish they would so I would have an excuse to buy a new one, lol.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. comeonhitme

Jun 7, 2012
    tampa bay
    I honestly like internals more. Ive just had more success than the combination of either external mods or batteries crapping out. I'd be more than happy if I could find a mod that lasts 3 years on average. Although the technology will be severely outdated by then

• Like Like x 2
  8. madstabber

madstabber Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

The Smoant Cylon is a new mod from them. It costs about $40-$50 and is a great mod. I’ve only had it a few weeks but I saw a reviewer take his apart and it’s well put together, like all the smoant mods. The performance is fabulous and it looks good too. Check it out, if I had to recommend one Smoant mod to buy right now the Cylon would be it. IMHO It is one of the best value mod you can buy.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. comeonhitme

Jun 7, 2012
    tampa bay
    madstabber ill do it right now...dont tempt me
    :pervy::mail:;)

PS: Im on day 15 cig-less. Best believe im going to day 150, day 1,050, and day 15,000..

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  10. r77r7r

r77r7r ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    All my mods have been lipo. Only 2 Innokin vv3's died. All egos lived a very long life, not one died. All my Isticks are still alive.

Wouldn't have cared if they all died for the price range. Under $50 I'd like to get 9mths or more. I replace after 1 yr regardless.

I stick with Joye ( Eleaf ), and Aspire right now. Tanks and mods.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Frenchfry1942

Frenchfry1942 Chillin' Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 12, 2014
    Sky Island
    Yeah, I had an MVP3 (Innokin) for a long time and the battery just wasn't up to the charge I needed anymore. I had a couple of three others that I PIF'd, not really thinking any really died since its been awhile. I'm really happy with what I have been using (Provari)... two years plus now. I had the same brand beforehand and it still functions. The mortician has not had business lately.

• Winner Winner x 2
  12. Opinionated

Opinionated Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Aug 19, 2015
    The only mod so far that has died on me was an innokin. The others are all still working fine (provari, tesla, aspire etc). with the exception of a couple ego batteries.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Ralph_K

Ralph_K Senior Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I have had this Smok Alien mod for a little over a month. battery guage for one battery goes up and down now sometimes the screen doesn't show but is still firing. I'll get another mod to replace it and it won't be a Smok

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. Sickbxy

Sickbxy Ultra Member Verified Member

Supporting member
    Feb 8, 2018
    Spring, Texas
    None. Most of my older 3+ year old mods are mechs, but I still have a #90 Opus DNA 40 that is functioning. I did lose a Provari from the same time period, not sure if it is still functioning or not. My current mods are much more recent, haven’t had time to check longevity.

• Winner Winner x 3
  15. Nick L

Nick L Full Member

Jan 15, 2015
    Indiantown FL USA
    I have a 100% success rate after a little over three years vaping. Quick disclaimer.... I am hard on my mods.... frequent drops onto tile/cement.

I purchased 3 Provari 2.5 mods three years ago. One was lost to a swimming pool and one was stolen from my car. The last one is still going strong for the past 16 months.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  16. Letitia

Letitia Therion/Nano Junkie ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    In vaping over 3 years I've only had one mod die. I didn't have my tab yet and was using one of my 30w isticks for a build stand and forgot and tried to fire up a .25Ω coil on it. I killed it with a bang.:shock:
    :facepalm:

• Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 2
  17. Nick L

Nick L Full Member

Jan 15, 2015
    Indiantown FL USA
    What happens to a regulated mod when this happens? Does the board blow? or does the battery start to vent?

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. Letitia

Letitia Therion/Nano Junkie ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    There were a few sparks and a very loud pop, then just dead.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. QcVaper

QcVaper Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jun 17, 2017
    Canada/Quebec
    None have died on me (not yet anyway)
    Worst that's happened is my gbox has it's 510 loose since i dropped it a 3rd time and no i don't drop my stuff on purpose it just falls everytime i put it down at work -.-
    though my aspire nx75 has seen better days it still works fine
    same with my gpriv 2 but then again haven't used it much since i moved to squonkers shortly after
    besides those i only have my ijoy capo squonk but it's still brand new xD i'd be pissed if it was already broken lolz
    (and yes i know all about how bad people seem to think it is, but haven't had any issues for now with it + i needed something simple and smaller to bring at work since i love my gbox too much to scrape it's paint more than it is already :p

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. Topwater Elvis

Topwater Elvis Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Texas
    I've never had a regulated power device explode, a few that smoked, a few that produced some sparks, a few that melted in small areas, two that caught fire, most just stop working.

Over the years I've had at least 60 regulated power devices fail, I'd have to check records that I am not near right now to be accurate.
    When something catches my eye, has good reviews from members that have used them I usually buy 3 at a time to see if they'll survive my normal daily use.
    So far nothing has except my tried & true ultra reliable Provape devices.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.