How much cash have you spent on DIY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoilerRoom

Verified Member
Sep 13, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
So I have been vaping about 2-1/2 months now, mainly to quit analogs.Which I have. I started out with commercial premixed juices. I quickly jumped into DIY and still a rookie and learning quite a bit. So far I have made some pretty good and some not so good. I still maintain a supply of a couple commercial juices for the ADV category.
Today I went through and entered everything into Excel. So far I have 72 different flavorings ranging from 10ml to 4oz. My grand total so far, including nic and bases is $566.97. I still need a few select flavors, but I'm pretty much set for now.
I went one step further and inserted a quotient function in a cell to give me a PAD equivalent. Right now it sits at 98 days. Seems crazy that I spent all that money before vaping on analogs. It really adds up quickly if you're a pack-a-day smoker.

FinallyQuit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2011
SC
I'm not obsessively keeping track on a spreadsheet or anything ;) but it's somewhere south of $300. I don't include hardware (bottles/syringes/blunt needles/glassware/graduated cylinders) or safety equipment in that figure, it got too overwhelming. I'm making 10 ml bottles of liquid for less than $1 these days, so I'm saving a ton of money compared to $6 per day on Newports. Can't remember the last time I bought vendor liquid either. . .

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
Well over a grand...maybe twice that...

I try not to keep track. I give away lots 'o juice. At one time I thought the donation I made to Brother Frankie, over a liter, was a give-away, but it doesn't seem so big anymore. Throw in my sister, my oldest son, and other assorted family and it really adds up. (At least my family seems to get "stuck" on a flavor, sooner or later, and then I can make bulk purchases of the flavorings needed for their recipes so it saves me a little bit.) I had to cut back on that when I was unemployed, but hopefully I'll get caught up with the bills soon and I can start giving away juice again.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
I'm a one or two flavor DIYer. So haven't spent much at all. I was amazed at how many really nice vapes you can make using just one flavoring. It's fine for me, as I don't really enjoy chemistry, mixing, all that stuff and am not into the hobby aspect, just wanted to save $$ and after trying so many vendors I realized that most of what I bought wasn't better than some of the stuff I've made.

Thunderball

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Grayson, Georgia
Wow.... Im very new at DIY but have around 80 flavors now....three 500 ml bottles in the freezer of nic..and an assortment of the regular stuff like bottles/syringes etc... Label maker....... I dont want to know how much I have in it. You did say cash didnt you? Then Ive got 0 cash in it because I just put all mine on the plastic. ........Its not like its real money anyway,right ?

cookiebun

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2011
Central Ohio
So I have been vaping about 2-1/2 months now, mainly to quit analogs.Which I have. I started out with commercial premixed juices. I quickly jumped into DIY and still a rookie and learning quite a bit. So far I have made some pretty good and some not so good. I still maintain a supply of a couple commercial juices for the ADV category.
Today I went through and entered everything into Excel. So far I have 72 different flavorings ranging from 10ml to 4oz. My grand total so far, including nic and bases is $566.97. I still need a few select flavors, but I'm pretty much set for now.
I went one step further and inserted a quotient function in a cell to give me a PAD equivalent. Right now it sits at 98 days. Seems crazy that I spent all that money before vaping on analogs. It really adds up quickly if you're a pack-a-day smoker.

Far too much.

:vapor:

HeadInClouds

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2013
Definitely under $150, and wishing for another $50 worth or so. My calculations have my current stock lasting at least a year for two of us. I was feeling like $150 was way over the top, but I'm comforted by other responses here.
I'm new to DIY, getting results I prefer to most pre-mixed juices, and I'm amazed how cheap it is.
I think cartomizers will be my main vaping expense, now that I'm stocked on juice supplies and batteries.

Bob Chill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Sans Nom, USA
Wow, I just went through my order receipts....about $800. But nearly $500 was for a 5 year supply of nic for 4 people. Not really that expensive when you look at it that way. Only $100/yr for nic for 4 people is quite cheap.

Going forward for quite a while will just be reordering flavors I love and trying new ones here and there. We collectively spent $700/mo on cigs so looking at it that way makes it seem REALLY cheap.

DIY is pretty awesome though. My wife and I are big time home cooks and there are some similarities there. I've lost interest in researching retail juice. I have a few I can't live without but even those are gathering a little dust because I'm falling in love with at least 4 of my home made ones. I honestly think DIY vapes crisper and cleaner than store bought. Might be a mind trick but maybe not.

Last edited:

BoilerRoom

Verified Member
Sep 13, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
I originally intended to put these flavors in Excel to just keep track of what I have. I found I needed to have a list I can look at to see if I have a particular ingredient. It was kind of an evolution to create a price column.
I am really interested in creating mixes that I would be content with vaping all day or cloning a couple of commercial mixes I like. After looking around here and there, it seems the amount of available recipes online are not as many as I expected. I know some folks will say there are lots of them, but to me there is not the quantity I figured to be available.

rebgold

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2013
Wichita, KS
Almost 150 a month so far, for the last few months. As soon as I think I have everything I come up with something new I need! Now I'm worried about new regulations and trying to stockpile a nic supply.
Now I need more sweetener, lol. I've fallen out of love with EM. It gives juice a strange taste if you try to get one really sweet. I tasted my favorite premixed and it tasted like candy, so I think I need to switch to sucralose.
Looking at a fold out makeup case on Amazon to keep it all in, it's overflowing in boxes now.
Still spending a little under what I spent on American Spirits a month and selling juice to a few friends, so I still consider it a win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread