How much cheaper is vaping compared to smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.

XTakk

Nov 19, 2013
Chesapeake, Va, USA
The initial start up cost is a bit more than cigarettes, a $1.89+$5 or $6 as compared to the $30-40 for a starter kit of some kind and $3 per 5ml juice(1-2 days) but as time goes it can level out if you make smart purchasing decisions early on with your equipment.

As I'm swallowing it, the real pay off will come in for form of how good you feel or saving money on hospital bills down the road. Kind of the same position it is to say you are better off not exercising because you can save a few dollars early on by not buying running shoes or a gym membership.

Also, I see you're in NZ and I hear you cant get juice with nicotine locally so you will need to get it shipped internationally, your numbers may be a bit higher than the direct conversion from mine. (just something for your math)

Past that, I'll personally attest to the fact for you that you'll feel a ton better about the idea of quitting after you make it past your first day or two without a cigarette. What's a few dollars wasted on a vape and a chance if you decide not to stick with it after all?

Good luck.

DetraMental

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2013
United States
Depends on how involved you get. If you are just in it to quit smoking and all you buy is your battery, carto/clearo/atty, and juice you'll save alot! If you do that and decide to DIY you'll spend a bit initially getting set-up on supplies but it'll pay-off quickly and you'll save more. In all honesty you'll probably catch the fever and spend your new found money on more ecig items cuz' you can. I'm reaching the point where I don't wanna spend anymore except on needed items for my DIY stuff so I'm looking more at saving. I haven't spent more than I smoked so I feel ok about it. :) Happy Vaping!

pascloud

ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2013
West New York, NJ
My husband and I used to spend close to $500 a month on packs of cigarettes. ($8 per pack each per day)
In our first month of vaping, which just ended, we have spent about $250 on equipment and trying juices.
I predict from here on out our monthly cost will be around $50-75. That's a HUGE difference from close to $500!
We are just regular vapers, as we were smokers. No special upgrades, juice mixing, etc. ego c-twists and basic tanks.
We're paying down credit cards already and thinking about a little family vacation soon, thanks to our saved money. :)

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
I suppose the answer is that it completely depends on a lot of things.

How much you smoked and what set up you get to start with. You can get setup for as little as around US$25-30 but that is going to be a basic kit and will last a couple of weeks with no extras.

Then you have to find a juice you like, juice starts at around US$5 for 50ml (for a Dekang) and you'll probably vape about 3ml a day - so that's about US$2 for juice a week and then supplies for your equipment - say another $1.50 a week for replacement coils.

So, in theory, you can get going and then maintain yourself for less than US$5 a week. The problem comes when it turns into a hobby, and you start wanting the latest products, different juice and the like.

I spent around US$8-900 to get going over the first 4 months or so, but now I have plenty of equipment, juice and batteries. So in the last 3 months, I'd guess I've spent less than $150 - all on juice. i could easily not spend anything from now on and last months and months with not spending anything. I have backups, extra juice, flavoring, wire, wick, nicotine base, batteries, chargers etc, etc.

You can also start making your own juice, repairing your own equipment etc to further reduce the cost.

In summary, yes it can be less expensive than smoking, but it often isn't.

chemxsol

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2013
San Jose, CA, USA
I was spending $5 a day for a pack of cigs. My initial cost entering the world of vaping was around $170 for a Protank 2, 3 Boge carto tanks (with some cartridges), 2 ego batteries, and $70 worth of juice (so worth it!!!). But now that I have acquired all the gear I need until I contract the mod fever I am very happy with just spending $20 worth of juice every month compared to $30 a week on smokes.

Rosa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2010
Beaverton, Oregon!
It's up to you.

When I used and tossed out cartos it was about the same cost. When I made my own juice I saved a ton. Using someone else's tank parts and pre-mixed juice I think I spend slightly less... Slightly. But the peace of mind is priceless. I am dedicated to spending whatever amount it costs to keep me away from the cancer sticks.

Buffyisabean

Nov 21, 2012
Wilkeson
I spent $100 on my starter kit. 2 volt batteries, charger, 3 30ml bottles of juice.

I only used those things for 3 months.

For those three months, I put $10 a day into my savings account. Exactly what I spent on cigarettes a day.

After three months, I bought a $25 dollar ego style vv and a vivi nova, some different brands of juice. Spent about $100 more.

After three more months, I spent about $250 on a Provari and all the little extras. All while continuing to put $10 a day into savings.

Since I bought my Provari, about six months ago, I've spent about $600. I used my cigarette money for my toys and to pay off my car. It's cheaper for me now but I've only recently started participating on this forum and I'm already envious of the knowledge and mastery of the hobby. I think I may start spendin' some dough trying out all this neat stuff! And I will absolutely blame all ya'll when my man is checking our financials next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread