How much ejuice do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
My consumption seems to have increased lately. I am going through 15 to 20ml per day. It seems to have increased since I started building my own coils. I keep checking for leaks and there are none. I've also tried a few different juices --still mainly VG and I seem to be picking up the vape exactly the same. But I am going through a lot of juice.

pwmeek

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2011
SE Michigan
I stopped smoking by vaping 24mg/ml juice in an eGo back around 2010. I"m not sure how much juice I vaped then, but it was about 3 or 4 eGo pen refills, probably 2ml each. Coming off a 2 PAD cigarette habit I chain vaped constantly.

for several years I've vaped 3mg juice exclusively and I'm vaping every 2 or 3 minutes.

Today I mixed three 100ml bottles of unflavored, two at 12mg and one at 6mg strength. I'm hoping that the 12mg juice will slow me down during the day. At night, I'll vape 6mg to prevent sleep disturbances. If the 12mg juice doesn't seriously curb my cravings I'll move to 18mg.

I'd like to reach a point where I'm not chain vaping. My wife hates it when I vape inside a restaurant! :) Maybe I can leave it in the car at 12mg or 18mg and not have a nic fit for an hour or so.

You may have noticed that I am a strong advocate of "upping" the nicotine content to cut back on chain vaping. I chain vaped at 36 mg and didn't stop until I eventually settled on 65-66 mg/ml e-juice. (I used to be a VERY heavy smoker - up to 4 packs of unfiltered per day plus a can of snus.) I'm not interested in stopping using nicotine, so I don't keep trying to reduce my juice strength. I AM interested in keeping my time spent vaping under control (no chain vaping) and think that searching for my "sweet spot" (where my daily nicotine consumption is the least that keeps me satisfied) is a useful endeavor.

The other thing I have discovered is that with this strong e-juice, I can go longer without vaping (hours) than ever before, and certainly much longer than when I smoked. (I had completely quit going to theaters, and nearly quit going to restaurants before I began vaping.) I have even discovered that I have left my rig behind when driving out for a series of errands. Time was when that would have required returning to get it. Now, if I expect to be gone for only an hour or so, I can keep on going. (If I ever got delayed or discovered that I couldn't wait, I do have a bottle of e-juice, a charged iStick and a new Aspire Nautilus with a fresh atomizer in the car, but so far, I've not needed to use them. I keep them in the car in case my rig breaks down or runs dry on a longer expedition. Backups y'know. I swap out the mod and the juice bottle for fresh ones every month or so.)

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
You may have noticed that I am a strong advocate of "upping" the nicotine content to cut back on chain vaping. I chain vaped at 36 mg and didn't stop until I eventually settled on 65-66 mg/ml e-juice. (I used to be a VERY heavy smoker - up to 4 packs of unfiltered per day plus a can of snus.) I'm not interested in stopping using nicotine, so I don't keep trying to reduce my juice strength. I AM interested in keeping my time spent vaping under control (no chain vaping) and think that searching for my "sweet spot" (where my daily nicotine consumption is the least that keeps me satisfied) is a useful endeavor.

The other thing I have discovered is that with this strong e-juice, I can go longer without vaping (hours) than ever before, and certainly much longer than when I smoked. (I had completely quit going to theaters, and nearly quit going to restaurants before I began vaping.) I have even discovered that I have left my rig behind when driving out for a series of errands. Time was when that would have required returning to get it. Now, if I expect to be gone for only an hour or so, I can keep on going. (If I ever got delayed or discovered that I couldn't wait, I do have a bottle of e-juice, a charged iStick and a new Aspire Nautilus with a fresh atomizer in the car, but so far, I've not needed to use them. I keep them in the car in case my rig breaks down or runs dry on a longer expedition. Backups y'know. I swap out the mod and the juice bottle for fresh ones every month or so.)

I just filled my Kayfun with 12mg unflavored that I mixed up yesterday. After several MTL hits I can feel a difference in nic sensation from the 3mg that I've vaped for 3 or 4 years. This is probably going to be my new level for a while. I'm tired of needing my mod in my hand most of the time. At 12mg I can feel the relaxation and the typical nic hit I used to get from going outside for a smoke break. It's actually a nice change from chain vaping 3mg.

I dropped from 24mg juice several years ago when I was worried about nicotine and health insurance costs under Obamacare. Supposedly, we were going to be tested through blood work and charged the smoker's rate if we were found to be positive for nic. AFAIK, no one has tested for that, at least in my experience. The only question I was asked when on the phone with the insurance agent was, "Have you smoked cigarettes in the last 6 months?". The honest answer was, "No".

ETA: I've been taking a hit every 20 minutes or so on the 12mg juice. I just walked over and did 3 deep lung hits for a test (if you can call Kayfun Lite hits deep lung hits). Dizzy City! This is going to work to get me off the mod death grip. The sense of satiation is pronounced.

Last edited:

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA

I just filled my Kayfun with 12mg unflavored that I mixed up yesterday. After several MTL hits I can feel a difference in nic sensation from the 3mg that I've vaped for 3 or 4 years. This is probably going to be my new level for a while. I'm tired of needing my mod in my hand most of the time. At 12mg I can feel the relaxation and the typical nic hit I used to get from going outside for a smoke break. It's actually a nice change from chain vaping 3mg.

I dropped from 24mg juice several years ago when I was worried about nicotine and health insurance costs under Obamacare. Supposedly, we were going to be tested through blood work and charged the smoker's rate if we were found to be positive for nic. AFAIK, no one has tested for that, at least in my experience. The only question I was asked when on the phone with the insurance agent was, "Have you smoked cigarettes in the last 6 months?". The honest answer was, "No".

ETA: I've been taking a hit every 20 minutes or so on the 12mg juice. I just walked over and did 3 deep lung hits for a test. Dizzy City! This is going to work to get me off the mod death grip. The sense of satiation is pronounced.

That's very interesting. I chained smoked Marlboro's and now I chain vape at 3mg. Smoked anywhere from 1.5 to 3 packs per day --averaging about 2 ppd. As I started to inch towards 3 pack per day, I switched from the kings to the 100s. Started out vaping at close to 50 nic some years back. Whether I smoked or vaped - I did each a whole lot.

Been vaping for close to 7 years and I still vape a lot but, for me, I notice something very different. I can go for hours at the 3mg nic level not vaping without feeling jittery or nervous. The first few times, it happened by accident - I had forgotten my vape after I was driving to the store and rather than go home to get it, I just continued on and had no issue. Now I do that purposefully and on a regular basis. That's a huge milestone for me.

It also was a years-long gradual process for me. That's how I know there is so much other junk in analogs because I felt I could not go more than 10 minutes without one.

I am just very used to the "hand-to-mouth" although admittedly I no longer have that same urgency. I think if I upped my nicotine that there would not be that much of a reduction in how frequently I vape. I vape less and less and have steadily decreased my nic levels less and less as it stands right now. Providing that solid nicotine rush/fix that I know I would certainly enjoy is not going to stop me from wanting to vape frequently and might make me want it more.

I know we are all different - for me, at his point, I feel it is not so much the nic fix but the "I am used to having something to hold" fix. (I think that is part of the success behind the juul, the high nic levels and the "hit" it provides.)

I gradually decreased my nic and I gradually decreased the amount of time I vape and I am just going to continue to do so.

But I am truly interested in hearing about the progress of both of you and how the increase in nic levels works out long-term.

Whatever works, right?

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I know we are all different - for me, at his point, I feel it is not so much the nic fix but the "I am used to having something to hold" fix. (I think that is part of the success behind the juul, the high nic levels and the "hit" it provides.)

I gradually decreased my nic and I gradually decreased the amount of time I vape and I am just going to continue to do so.

But I am truly interested in hearing about the progress of both of you and how the increase in nic levels works out long-term.

It's late in the day with my change from 3mg/ml juice to 12mg/ml juice. After vaping from 8am until about 3pm my first Kayfun tank is still almost full. I've vaped about a quarter of a tank. 12mg gave me a slight buzz, so I've been frugal with usage and taking short hits. By 3pm I would have normally vaped a whole 4.5ml tank and refilled.

At this rate I may not vape the whole tank by bedtime. I'm guessing that the increase in nic is going to cut my daily vape rate in half. As I get used to higher nic again that may change, but my goal is simply to regain the ability to vape less frequently and still stay satisfied with the nic i'm getting.

There was a time in my life where I bought a pack of Marlboro Reds each morning. When I changed over to Merit Ultra Lights I eventually found myself smoking 2 or more packs a day. That got expensive.

It's apparently all about the Nic.

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
It's late in the day with my change from 3mg/ml juice to 12mg/ml juice. After vaping from 8am until about 3pm my first Kayfun tank is still almost full. I've vaped about a quarter of a tank. 12mg gave me a slight buzz, so I've been frugal with usage and taking short hits. By 3pm I would have normally vaped a whole 4.5ml tank and refilled.

At this rate I may not vape the whole tank by bedtime. I'm guessing that the increase in nic is going to cut my daily vape rate in half. As I get used to higher nic again that may change, but my goal is simply to regain the ability to vape less frequently and still stay satisfied with the nic i'm getting.

There was a time in my life where I bought a pack of Marlboro Reds each morning. When I changed over to Merit Ultra Lights I eventually found myself smoking 2 or more packs a day. That got expensive.

It's apparently all about the Nic.
I agree about the analog lights - tried a few times and it was pointless

mountaingal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2012
Tennessee and ports on the East Coast
I'd like to reach a point where I'm not chain vaping. My wife hates it when I vape inside a restaurant! :) Maybe I can leave it in the car at 12mg or 18mg and not have a nic fit for an hour or so.[/QUOTE]

That should do you well. I vape 20mg/ml about 4ml a day. When I tried to go lower, I was vaping non-stop. At 20mg/ml I can actually go for about 2-3 hours at a time without vaping. I even leave it at home when going to the gym for an hour. Good luck. Vaping is really about finding what works for us. I make my own unflavored juice also.

pwmeek

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2011
SE Michigan
I am just very used to the "hand-to-mouth" although admittedly I no longer have that same urgency. I think if I upped my nicotine that there would not be that much of a reduction in how frequently I vape. I vape less and less and have steadily decreased my nic levels less and less as it stands right now. Providing that solid nicotine rush/fix that I know I would certainly enjoy is not going to stop me from wanting to vape frequently and might make me want it more.

As you say, we're all different. I was able to stop chain vaping after I raised my nicotine to the point (above 50 mg/ml) where I would actually get something of a nicotine rush if I took a couple of puffs back to back. It takes about 30 seconds to occur (rather than the 7 seconds for smoking), so waiting is required. A puff or two more without waiting and it can make me mildly nic-sick. (Four or five hard drags on an analog - before the rush hits - would do the same when I smoked.) I really think that rush is what satisfies (and satisfies for some length of time). Without that rush, I find myself puffing again and again until it's chain vaping again.

If you have been able to reduce the number of puffs per day or hour at the same time as you have reduced the nicotine content, keep it up. I'm sure the human body works best when not interfered with.

pwmeek

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2011
SE Michigan
At this point, I am a low wattage chain vaper. It is hard to gage how much I go through a day, since I switch between three or four mods a day. I am going to guess 8-10 ml. I have been reducing the nic level. Started at 24mg and am now down to 12mg.
If you want to control the chain vaping (I got really tired of it; it was keeping me from doing other things) consider going back up on the nicotine.

G and C

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2014
California
This is a cool thread, I've learned a lot reading this.

I went through a similar experience as some of the people above when I first started building my own coils and making my own juice. I suddenly realized I had all these great options for how I was going to vape that weren't driven by cost any more.

I figured I could vape a ton at a low level of nicotine, or less at a higher level, so I opted for a higher level of nicotine. I've been pretty happy with my own 18-20mg juices, and I go through 2-4ml a day depending on if I'm at work or not. I tend to vape more when I have free time than otherwise.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
5-7ml per day at 15-18mg strength. I have no plans to change anything unless I see good reason to do so.

So far, there's been nothing I consider absolutely solid, so I'm still hanging out in my "Sweet Spot".

I haven't heard THAT term in a while. :vapor:

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Really, who bothers to count. I use as much or as little as i like. And i usually like a lot. Big clouds, big flavor.
The only reason it matters is to help determine how long a liter of nic will last and how many liters need to be stashed just in case.

I don't normally pay much attention to how much I use. But, several years ago I happened to make a fresh bottle the day I went out of town and paid attention to how long it lasted. I discovered I was vaping 3 ml per day.

More recently, I felt a need to know how much I was going through since I no longer use a 306 so certainly must be using more than before. So, I made a point of checking. I do vape more, but not a lot, just under 4 ml per day. I was surprised it wasn't more considering that the way I vape now is more wasteful than dripping on a 306.

But, since I now vape at 12 mg/ml compared to the 18 mg/ml I used to vape at, I'm actually consuming a little less nic per day than before. So, my stocking up calculations still hold true.

Now I'm just waiting to see how long the eliquid I made for my sister lasts so I can calculate how much nic I need to stash for her.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I’m still trying to figure it out. I used to use about 4 mls mtl, 6 mg. Worked for a few years, but wasn’t cutting it any more. One depressing holiday, I started smoking again, although still vaping, and it was time to switch up my game plan.
So I dug out an old forgotten sub ohm Atlantis, and from there decided to shiny up with some newer gear.

I went a little nuts with that, and I have a lot of devices in the daily rotation. Because who doesn’t want to play with ALL their new toys?

Using 3, 6, and 9 mg. I’m averaging around 10 mls per day. Got me off the smokes again, which is a far more important goal than reducing how much juice or nic I use. I diy so it’s cheap.

I will never be able to accurately figure how long my nic stash will last because I’m sure I’ll go through more or less as circumstances change.

Reactions: stols001

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I will never be able to accurately figure how long my nic stash will last because I’m sure I’ll go through more or less as circumstances change.
Very few people use more than about 90-100 mg per day, no matter their vaping style or the concentration in their juice. So one way to judge how much you need for a long term stash is just to plan on a liter of 100 mg base lasting three years. It will probably last longer than that, but my theory has always been that it's better to have some left when they put me in the ground than to wake up some morning when I'm old and frail, wishing I had bought more when it was still available and cheap.

pwmeek

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2011
SE Michigan
Very few people use more than about 90-100 mg per day, no matter their vaping style or the concentration in their juice. <snip>
I've used up to 143 mg/day (averaged over 3 to 6 weeks) since I began keeping accurate records. I may have approached 250 mg/day when I was chain vaping at 36 ml/mg, but as I said, this was before I began keeping good records. Depending on what you believe is the nicotine content of analogs, I may have smoked and dipped about that much before I quit (4 PPD of unfiltered plus snus). Since I raised the nicotine content of my e-juice to around 65 mg/ml, my daily consumption has dropped as I broke myself of chain-vaping. Now (for the past year) it has varied between 75 and 95 mg/day. (Roughly 1.15 to 1.45 ml/day; again this is an average over several weeks.) So, I now fit pretty closely with your 90-100 mg/day maximum. (And I have enough nic base to last about double my expected remaining life-span at age 75. I could live to over 100 without running short.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread