The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

How often do you press your Squonk bottle?

Discussion in 'Liquid Feed APV Discussion' started by Anise, Oct 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Anise

Anise Vaping Master ECF Veteran

May 11, 2016
    Southern Louisiana USA
    Every couple of draws or less often? I'm so worried I'll get a dry hit I tend to over squonk. So how often do YOU press your bottle? I tend to take deep long inhales and I chain vape as the temperature of the drip tip allows. Please give me the benefit of your experience so I can stop worrying about dry hits and stop over squonking.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Don29palms

Don29palms Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2014
    joshua tree, ca
    All I use are drippers. All I can say is that I can tell when It's time to drip or squonk just from experience. The dry hit is just a downside to vaping. It happens. What you can do is squonk, take a couple hits the take off the cap and look. You'll get a feel for it.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  3. icepickmaker84

icepickmaker84 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Feb 7, 2019
    Indiana
    I typically peak down the driptip and squonk when the wick is no longer saturated, couldn’t give a number though.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Myrany

Myrany Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 14, 2013
    Louisiana
    Depends on the bottle and how full it is. My Old style REO bottles that are a very hard press I tend to have to squonk much more often than a soft silicone bottle as I never get quite as much liquid into the atty. If the bottle is nearly empty I have to squonk even more.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. jandrew

jandrew Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Apr 2, 2013
    Winnipeg
    I take relatively short draws and will usually taste/feel a pre-dry-hit if I haven't squonked in a bit. For someone doing lengthy draws, that might not be sufficient to avoid true dry hits.

You could also practice doing very light constant squonks ... when vaping, just put very light pressure on the bottle, just enough to keep the bottom of the wicks fed, and full squonks every XX number hits (where XX is determined experimentally).

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Anise

May 11, 2016
    Southern Louisiana USA
    Cool. Thanks y'all! I can't take off the drip tip to check because I'm blind in one eye and can't see well enough. I'd have to take the cap off. I was hoping for an easy answer but I've been squonking long enough to know there is no easy answer.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Eskie

Eskie ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 6, 2016
    NY
    I have several squonks in rotation and they all have different types of bottles with a different feel. I'd say that I may squonk every several hits, but I also notice that after several draws I can notice a "dryness" to it, not a dry hit, but just enough that would in a sense tell me "if you take another one or two hits, it'll dry hit on you". Not super helpful, but while the squonks vary, the attys and build styles are pretty close, so the flavor change is something I've found I can pick up on.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. ENAUD

ENAUD falling, falling, down the rabbit hole... Verified Member ECF Veteran

With my builds, 1.4-1.6 ohms, I have learned over time that the sound of the attie changes as the wick gets towards the point where a dry hit is nearby...maybe four or five pulls in a row. I still absent mindedly get the occasion dry hit from eich ee double hockey sticks :lol: But when I am focused I squonk about every other hit on any attie that drains well.

Oh, and yeah, sometimes I get that wet sticky finger feeling from over doing it...just seems to be par for the course for me.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Anise

May 11, 2016
    Southern Louisiana USA
    I have noticed a flavor change occasionally but never made the connection to needing to squonk. I've also noticed that dryness and immediately squonk. I never noticed a sound difference but I'll pay more attention.
    Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Speedfreek67

Speedfreek67 Full Member

Oct 20, 2019
    Sometimes, when getting used to a new atty/squonker combo, I squonk and then take an unpowered pull, and repeat until I feel a slight gurgle, which means my atty is fully saturated and one more squonk would have juice leaking from the air holes. ;)

• Like Like x 4
  11. Anise

May 11, 2016
    Southern Louisiana USA
    Coolness! I'll give that a try.

• Like Like x 2
  12. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Ultra Member ECF Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    When taste and vapor output drop I'll squank. Most of mine are temperature regulated so I don't worry about dry hits.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Str8vision

Str8vision Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Dec 26, 2013
    Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
    You'll get the hang of it over time, it took me several months when I first started squonking. Eventually though, I stopped using RDAs and switched to RDTAs. RDTAs are basically just RDAs with an extra deep (and visible) juice well. I vape at 65 watts (0.2 ohms) and go through about 8 to 10ml of juice each day. Using a 2ml RDTA I only need to squonk perhaps four times a day. Since you can visually see the juice level in a RDTA there's no guess work as to when or how much. With a fully charged 21700 battery, 8ml of juice in the squonk mod and 2ml in the RDTA I can vape hassle free -all day long- without carrying any supplies. Day trips are hassle free.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Anise

May 11, 2016
    Southern Louisiana USA
    I didn't know you could use a RDTA with a squonk! Can you recommend any that come with a bf pin?

15. icepickmaker84

icepickmaker84 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Feb 7, 2019
    Indiana
    I use the Vandy Vape Pyro v2 and love squonking the tank full lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. fiddleshe

fiddleshe Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 11, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    I dont squonk but theres a subtle difference the wick makes in sound when its unsaturated and about to dry hit. Listen for it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Don29palms

Don29palms Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2014
    joshua tree, ca
    I have one coming that should be here tomorrow. Geekvape Medusa Reborn. I'll let you know more when I get it.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Str8vision

Str8vision Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Dec 26, 2013
    Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
    All of the RDTAs I've bought/tried came with a BF pin, just had to install it. My current favorites are the Vandy Vape Pyro 2 and WOTOFO Faris. I've pre-ordered the Vandy Vape Pyro 3 and suspect (Based on design) it might be my next go-to.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. Anise

May 11, 2016
    Southern Louisiana USA
    Thanks, I appreciate it!

20. Anise

May 11, 2016
    Southern Louisiana USA
    Thanks I'll check them out!