The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

How old were you when you came "out"?

Discussion in 'Gay Group' started by TxTrouble, Feb 10, 2010.

Tags:
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. ScottinSoCal

ScottinSoCal Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Dec 19, 2010
    ProVari Nirvana
    Eh, the Catholic Church seems to be a big advocate of Don't Ask, Don't Tell, Don't Allow Prosecution.

2. NancyR

NancyR Account closed on request ECF Veteran

Apr 25, 2012
    Washington State
    Hi, I have read many of the stories here, while thinking back on my own. I can't really say I ever came out as that suggests I was hidden away, and while like a few of you I am from the south and in my 40's now, for the most part I grew up on the west coast.

Add to that being a bi female, I never got the why's or any of that. It is only my mom and dad that never knew, with my mom's health as bad as it was I didn't think they needed any added stress. Then I lost them both the year I turned 25, so they never meet one of my girlfriends.

I did however tell my sister when I was in my late teens, guess you could say the biggest surprise there was I found out we where more alike that I had ever thought. As she is 11 years older we where never all that close.

3. DJJames

DJJames Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Lexington, KY
    I came out as a vaper ...Saturday, August 4th, 2012. ;)

4. sweetgypsea

sweetgypsea Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I was 23 when I came out. Family was unsupportive (for the most part) but friends were generally ok with it. I've had kind of a hard time coming to terms with it due to my religious beliefs... but I am slowly starting to overcome that.

5. Anastazija

Anastazija Full Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Hartselle, AL USA
    I came out at 20. I knew when I was 13, but growing up in the South, wasn't sure how my coming out would be taken. My family, for the most part, surprised me by being quite supportive!

6. Heavy Smoker

Heavy Smoker Full Member

Jan 3, 2016
    It has been a year and a half since the last entry here, so perhaps this thread is dead. Nonetheless, I searched under "gay" after having been a member now for six weeks (when I stopped smoking and started vaping). I do hope it is still active because, while being LGBT has nothing to do with vaping, smoking/bars/drinking was a big part of gay culture when I came out in 1983. Meeting a guy over a cigarette and a beer at a bar was common for me anyway. So smoking and being gay are sort of linked in my mind. Thus I'm really happy to see vaping and the LGBT community linked up here.

I came out to my friends at 23, my work colleagues at 30 and my parents at 35. Slowly, but surely.

7. debb

debb ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    in the nj woods
    I guess no one comes here anymore...including myself as I actually forgot it was here, and haven't been keeping up with ECF as life situations are always in the way sometimes...lol...But as always , Have a Vape Day, everyone..

8. ShrubOhm

ShrubOhm Senior Member

Mar 23, 2019
    Fl
    Aw, I'm sad that the gay forum is kind of inactive. I was hoping to see some other queer folk here.

9. Heavy Smoker

Heavy Smoker Full Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Yeah, me too! I come here periodically just to check, but usually nothing. That surprises me.

10. ShrubOhm

ShrubOhm Senior Member

Mar 23, 2019
    Fl
    Whenever I use a forum that isn't strictly for gays and there's a gay section, it's usually dead lol I don't know why.

11. Heavy Smoker

Heavy Smoker Full Member

Jan 3, 2016
    I guess that we comparmentalise our lives? Anyway, thanks for your comments here -- perhaps others will join in to the discussion.

12. ShrubOhm

ShrubOhm Senior Member

Mar 23, 2019
    Fl
    Yeah I guess so. I usually don't disclose unless the subject comes up.